3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Steering help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Mr.hambly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering help

Hi all. Names Steve. so I just joined this forum I have an issue I purchased a used 2005 Dakota little over 300 Kms on it with a 3.7 It runs great . Problem I’m having is the steering I was told and have a bill from the previous owner that the rack and pin was replaced he said when he got the truck back it was loose so took it to a local shop and they tightened something then was parked for 4 months as he shortly after that bought a new ram 1500 and put the Dakota up for sale which I traded some work for. I got the truck drove it home bout 80 kms ran great except the steering is so stiff checked the power steering for fluid it’s up but it has no return in the steering I have to manually counter steer I can turn the wheel ad let go and keep doing circles t also makes a sound little dunno if the right word is squeak or a grind sound alike tight rubber. Looked it up as he saved bills from all the work he had done on the truck says they tightened a steering post bolt. If anyone can help me identify what this might be it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-16-2018, 12:38 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Check the u-joint on the steering shaft in the engine compartment. Welcome to the forum.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I encountered this on another vehicle before. Ball joints were both seizing. Replaced ball joints and steering would return again.

Something is not free on your steering. you'll just have to break things loose and move by hand.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:52 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds a lot like memory steer due to seized ball joints dried out from sitting so long.You could put the truck up and disconnect the outer tie rod ends from the steering knuckle and shake the front end down side to side to confirm if it's ball joints or in the steering rack.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Mr.hambly

Front end had ball joints replaced that’s what I thought till I looked at it n seen that n found the bill the bill joints were done last September and then was parked in October

Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Mr.hambly

Im gonna put it up and take a look I just know before it was fine I drove the vehicle last summer and the steering was fine and then I know the rack and pin went and he had that replaced and then he said it was loose so he had someone tighten something a steering post bolt. So I figured maybe if I could figure it out I could loosen it a lil bit and grease what needs to and see I it helps.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Mr.hambly

This is my first truck got tired of using our suv like a truck. Where can I find the steering box? Is it inside or underneith? Sorry if my questions are basic or stupid but I’d rather do it myself and learn then take it in and pay someone to half a** it

Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.hambly
This is my first truck got tired of using our suv like a truck. Where can I find the steering box? Is it inside or underneith? Sorry if my questions are basic or stupid but I’d rather do it myself and learn then take it in and pay someone to half a** it
No box. It's rack and pinion. Mounted to the front frame cross member. Attached to the wheels via tie rods....

Old 04-16-2018, 04:32 PM
Mr.hambly

Oh yeah guess I didn’t put that together. Thanks is there a steering post with bolts somewhere that could effect the loose or tightening of the steering

Quick Reply: Steering help