3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4x4 high not working?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Ryan Teri Mitchell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 high not working?

Just bought a 2011 4x4 Dakota and when I put it in 4x4 high doesn't seem to be working. I spin alot. Tires are ok, however tonight put it in 4 lo and it backed right up off the ice like it was summer. Light comes on seems to be working any idea what this could be?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:26 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

4x4 is really only 4x2. Just different wheels spinning in low traction situations (1 in the front and 1 in the back ) It all depends on what situation the truck was in at the time you tried to use high and the time you used low. If the light came on in both situations, and low works, then there is probably nothing wrong. It was just one of those situations.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Ryan Teri Mitchell

Originally Posted by jkeaton
4x4 is really only 4x2. Just different wheels spinning in low traction situations (1 in the front and 1 in the back ) It all depends on what situation the truck was in at the time you tried to use high and the time you used low. If the light came on in both situations, and low works, then there is probably nothing wrong. It was just one of those situations.
I drove the truck in 4 hi and slide all over the road. Got stuck on flat pavement with a little ice couldn't move, light turned. Put it in 4 lo and the truck didn't even hesitate to move from the ice. Wondering if this would be a transfer case or encoder motor issue?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That's how open differentials work - when one tire slips, even in 4x4, the same torque that caused even one tire to spin is sent to the rest of the tires. Hence if you were to gun it on ice, even in 4x4, you might not get anywhere.

4x4 doesn't make you impervious to ice. Requires patience and time to get out of that. 4Lo just makes the wheels rotate a bit faster at idle, which probably helped get you out.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
That's how open differentials work - when one tire slips, even in 4x4, the same torque that caused even one tire to spin is sent to the rest of the tires. Hence if you were to gun it on ice, even in 4x4, you might not get anywhere.

4x4 doesn't make you impervious to ice. Requires patience and time to get out of that. 4Lo just makes the wheels rotate a bit faster at idle, which probably helped get you out.
Not quite. With open diffs, the tires with the LEAST traction get all the power. One in front, and one in the back. I have been stuck in situations where I have three tires on ice, and one in snow, and could not move. All power was going to the tires that were slipping. (no posi rear on that truck, not that it would have mattered.....)

In 4 low, the tires will rotate SLOWER at idle. it is low range, after all. I don't know what t-case the OP has.... but, some of them actually have open 'differentials' incorporated into the drive system, and only lock when in 4 lo...... Think is, in 4 lo, since it is geared lower, you aren't as likely to spin the tires when easing into the gas. So, you get traction, instead of moving a bit, then slipping.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:48 PM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Lol time to hit the books again

Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 PM
Soonerschooner

Turn on your 4X4, start moving forward slowly, then turn your wheels to the left or right, if it "fights" you, the 4X4 is working. By "fights" I mean if it resists you turning, maybe makes a groaning sound, then it's on. That's what mine does on my Ford. It's been a few years since I've had the Dakota out in the snow, can't remember if it did the same thing or not...but I think it did.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:02 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

An open differential always sends the same amount of torque to both wheels, but since energy always takes the path of least resistance that torque is determined by what ever wheel has the least traction, that is why if one wheel is on a slick surface it will spin but the other wheel won't, even though they are both getting the same amount of torque.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Originally Posted by 00t444e
An open differential always sends the same amount of torque to both wheels, but since energy always takes the path of least resistance that torque is determined by what ever wheel has the least traction, that is why if one wheel is on a slick surface it will spin but the other wheel won't, even though they are both getting the same amount of torque.
No, it doesn't. The wheel with the LEAST grip, (I.E. the one that's slipping) gets the power. If you want power distributed equally to both rear wheels, you need a posi, or locking differential of some sort.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:58 AM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You need to learn how differentials work. An open differential always sends the same amount of torque to both wheels, that doesn't mean they will spin at the same speed. For example say it takes 200 ft-lb of torque to move a vehicle, but one rear tire is on a slick surface that it only takes 50 ft lbs to spin that tire while the other side has good traction but it is only getting 50 ft-lb of torque which isn't enough to spin that tire. So in this case only one wheel is spinning, but they are both receiving the same amount of torque ( 50 ft lbs) which isn't enough to move the vehicle. A limited slip/ Posi uses clutches or gears to transfer torque to the wheel with greater traction, and a locker will make both sides spin at the same speed regardless of how much traction each side has.

Quick Reply: 4x4 high not working?