3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08 Dakota Trans Shudder

Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 AM
Jeffrey LaFever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08 Dakota Trans Shudder

I have an 08 Dakota SXT 2 wheel drive, 3.7L with a 42RLE trans. I have a shudder when holding speed around 30, 35,45 and have begun to notice 50 mph. It stops when I speed up through it or let off the gas, but will do it again if at or close to those speeds. I had a transmission shop drive it while scanner was hooked up and they confirmed what i thought, that the torque converter was going bad. I replaced the torque converter and filter as well. I put in the Mopar transmission fluid. I have checked multiple times and the fluid level is good. I also replaced plugs just in case. Does anyone have any other suggestions, I am out of ideas and rebuilding or replacing is not an option financially.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:44 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

As a further diagnosis, try this: Before driving, click the "Tow/Haul" button on the shift lever, which prevents the trans from shifting into 4th gear and fully locks up the torque converter clutch at a lower speed than normal while in 3rd gear. Then begin to drive and check for the shudder at those steady speeds. The purpose is to attempt to either rule out, or rule in, the 3rd to 4th shift and late torque converter clutch full lockup/partial lockup/re-full lockup actions that happen between about 38-50mph as maybe causing the issue. For some reason, these transmissions were programmed to do a lot of things within that narrow speed range, and any of them could be the issue. (I personally keep Tow/Haul on while driving in that speed range to alleviate all that shifting wear & tear inside the transmission, and usually only let it go into 4th if I'm driving at or above about 50 mph. I do also have, and pretty much have always had, what seems to be an NVH vibration somewhere in the powertrain between about 40-45mph.) On the other hand, if your truck still shudders at all your problem speeds while locked in 3rd gear up through that speed range, I may suspect a driveshaft u-joint going bad, if you're certain the torque converter is now ruled out since you replaced it. Also, does the drivetrain happen to noticeably click or bang when you shift between any or one of these while holding the brake: Park to drive/park to reverse/reverse to drive/drive to reverse? That could be telling of a joint loosening up somewhere in the powertrain, which could cause a shudder at a steady speed (that loosened joint may be "knocking" at steady speed as it isn't forced to hold one position like while accelerating/decelerating).

Last edited by erau; 06-20-2019 at 06:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mopar Bill (08-16-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:59 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like the same issue I've got, when I first got the truck it was still under warranty. Dealership had another Dakota on the lot they swapped wheels, driveshaft, changed front wheel bearings, swapped brake drums. Probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Next step was torque converter but I couldn't live without the vehicle any longer and have lived with the 35-45 mph vibration for the past 10 years. At this point I don't even notice it. If you get it fixed be sure to post a solution.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 PM
Jeffrey LaFever

Thanks for the advice. I have drove and using tow/haul while under 50 mph does stop the issue. When not using it, I still have the shutter.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 AM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like a PCM problem that needs to be re-programmed.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:31 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to totally resurrect this thread because I suddenly have the exact same problem Oh, but it only manifested itself after my 240,000 mile transmission service. Up to that point my transmission was smooth as butter and now I get the same shutter between about 30 and 50. I just complained at my dealer and they told me I was a pint low on my transmission fluid. That scares me a little bit because everything I've read says it's bad to overfill these. If I come up with a solution that does not involve rebuilding the transmission I'll be sure to post in this thread and if any mechanics happened to come along with a solution that does not involve rebuilding the transmission I'm all ears. If I do end up having to rebuild the transmission I'll probably post my own sub story independent of this thread, LOL

Old 06-07-2022, 04:47 PM
rustedwrench

Originally Posted by Jeffrey LaFever
I have an 08 Dakota SXT 2 wheel drive, 3.7L with a 42RLE trans. I have a shudder when holding speed around 30, 35,45 and have begun to notice 50 mph. It stops when I speed up through it or let off the gas, but will do it again if at or close to those speeds. I had a transmission shop drive it while scanner was hooked up and they confirmed what i thought, that the torque converter was going bad. I replaced the torque converter and filter as well. I put in the Mopar transmission fluid. I have checked multiple times and the fluid level is good. I also replaced plugs just in case. Does anyone have any other suggestions, I am out of ideas and rebuilding or replacing is not an option financially.
Hi, I am in the same boat w a 2005 Dakota 4wd w a 3.7 and a 42rle. I just replaced the converter and fluid and upon test drive the shudder is still with me as well as a downshift and an upshift at around 30 mph. I havent driven it at hiway but plan to asap I think with all of these people having this issue Chrysler should be made to repair or replace transmissions at their expense. A class action lawsuit might be necessary to force them to stand up for their mistakes..

Old 06-08-2022, 02:07 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a followup, apparently my helpful dealer put in a pint of the WRONG stuff and then poof, the insides of my tranny turned into an unrecognizable mess. It lasted for a few thousand miles, but continued to get worse until it wouldn't move. Then they put in a new LKQ tranny but apparently didn't know they are shipped dry so neglected to completely fill it. 100 miles of driving later I was reduced to 10mph at 4500rpm, and I got my THIRD transmission which was apparently done correctly.

I believe that the bulk of the Dodge/Chrysler transmission woes that have affected so many are 100% due to the special sauce (ATF+4) requirement and not even the dealers understanding it fully.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Dakota Trans Shudder