3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My truck keeps blowing coil#1

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
P0301 points to a lot of things, but P2302 has much fewer potential suspects, so I would stick with that. You have already swapped the coil and PCM, so it isn't either of those. Which basically leaves the relay (which I don't think it is, otherwise you might see it on other cylinders, but hey, I'm wrong a lot), or the wiring for the coil, whether it's the hot lead or the control side of the wiring. Since it only affects one cylinder, it is quite likely that the problem is between the S117 splice and the coil. That's basically beside the cylinder 5 coil.

Of course, it could also be the connector that is cracked and/or shorting.

Diagnosing time.
He keeps blowing up the coil. That will most certainly give him a misfire.

I have seen this particular issue before a few times, but, so far, no one has come up with a reason for WHY the coils are blowing up........

Old 11-24-2020, 08:48 AM
David Kalinowski
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to get all the pertinent info together and create a mega thread a just post a link to that in the other threads. I found a video last night that has a guy trouble shooting this very issue, just on coil 7. I'm leaving towards a the control write is grounding out. But I need to get a test light tonight after work.

Last edited by David Kalinowski; 11-24-2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-24-2020, 09:59 AM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

For any one interested I found this video. Nice trouble shooting on this very issue.
(The guy is also bi-lingual and repeats all instructions in spanish, which is awesome for people that are not english speakers.)

I have not gotten around to trying any thing else yet since my last update. Its been cold and getting dark early. But I'm off the rest of the week so I will be going at it tomarrow.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 AM
pilotsmack
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Good video, but the conclusion he reaches for this truck is a new PCM. You already tried that, which tends to point to wiring.

I'm curious - the coil.... does it have any burn marks?

Old 11-24-2020, 12:21 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

Originally Posted by pilotsmack
Good video, but the conclusion he reaches for this truck is a new PCM. You already tried that, which tends to point to wiring.

I'm curious - the coil.... does it have any burn marks?
The test method is more what I was interested in.

other than the whole thing exploding from the inside (like the inside epoxy melts, then the coil cracks open and it leaks out.) not that I can really see. I'll post a picture of the latest casualty when I get off work. (after 5pm central time)

Old 11-25-2020, 04:37 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

Okay I have not gotten a test light yet, but I used my volt meter and the constant wire is reading solid 14.8 like it is supposed to, the interrupt wire never went below 6.5 volts, and fluctuated up to 10.5v Is it supposed to have a constant small charge or should it be 0 until needed?

Old 11-26-2020, 01:56 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by David Kalinowski
Okay I have not gotten a test light yet, but I used my volt meter and the constant wire is reading solid 14.8 like it is supposed to, the interrupt wire never went below 6.5 volts, and fluctuated up to 10.5v Is it supposed to have a constant small charge or should it be 0 until needed?
The multi-colored signal wire from the PCM (not the constant system-voltage red wire from the IPM/fuse block through the Auto-Shutdown Relay) only sends a signal to the coil at the intended time of spark. I have found that using a meter for these types of intermittent-signal circuits can give a misleading indication due to the short-duration of the signal (the meter is almost always not "fast" enough to display the true on/off nature of the signal), and that's why a test light works best for this situation. During testing, I would first test a cylinder known to be working properly, so you know what indications on your testing equipment you should be looking for on the suspect cylinder.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:21 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

Okay so I got the test light, it just flickered really fast on every coil I tested, so I then checked continuity and it was there, so as a last ditch effort I snipped the drive wire on from the ecm and from the plug, spliced in a new wire, moved the coil from cylnder 4 over to 1 and the only coffee being now is for cylinder 4 because there is no coil there. So after all this time it appears to have simply been a bad wire. I have to get a new coil tomorrow probably order it tonight so more like Monday or Tuesday, but I'll update more after that.

Old 11-27-2020, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

If that solves it..... that would be great. Did you test resistance across that wire, and compare it to another one?

Old 11-27-2020, 12:16 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

I did not even think to test the resistance. What should that range be I wonder? I bet its in the FSM.

Quick Reply: My truck keeps blowing coil#1