3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another post about the center console bezel.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another post about the center console bezel.

Ok, so when I get the truck here, I plan on taking the bezel out first thing, molding my sirius fiberglass mount I have been making into it, and making a custom mold for the head unit area, for aftermarket. Cuz quite frankly, I dont think that the kits that you get look to flashy in there, especially if I have the silver bezel and black above and below the head unit and those two hemicirles on each side... looks kinda like crap to me. But I have been pondering on painting the bezel a Candy Apple Red from House of Kolor, anyone think this would be a hard thing to do? Regarding the painting, cuz I want to get everything all molded and set up first, then paint it all at once. Think that will be hard? And I will get pictures up when I get the truck and get er done. Thanks all.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:59 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another post about the center console bezel.

Well it'll look good once you get it all fiberglassed in and then have it super smooth to paint.

A little bit of work ahead of you to do it all, but if you do it right it'll look sweet.

It's gonna really brighten up the dash with it being Candy Apple Red though.

And I don't think the aftermarket dash install kit is that bad. It does it's job and fills in where the factory radio was. Best part is that there isn't a stupid "pocket" under the radio like in some aftermarket install kits.
My truck is a lease, so I wouldn't bother with messing with the bezel. But I think it looks good since I have the silver bezel, then the black radio kit (matches A/C controls) and then my silver Alpine radio.
Silver/black/Silver kind of theme

Old 01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Frenchy
Banned

see I have read people saying that they dont like the idea of color coding the dash to the outside, well I am not exactly color coding, Im getting it Candy Apple Red, like you said, but I have seen in many a vehicle, where the dash is matched to the outside patin scheme. and I think it'll look sweet, and ya lots and lots of work ahead.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:27 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Ohhh....I forgot your truck was "Flame Red" (in your sig)

I thought you had the Inferno Red Metallic paint job on the outside (that's what your avatar looks like).....if so, then the Candy Red bezel would look sweet with a Inferno Red exterior color (since they're somewhat close in color)

BUT with a Flame Red exterior (like you have)....then the Candy Red won't look right on the interior.

And a Flame Red bezel (to match the exterior) would just be WAAAAAY too bright & stick out like a sore thumb on the dash (since the bezel is so large).

Consider doing a glossy black or something more subtle I think....or just do it in silver.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Frenchy
Banned

maybe I should take ur advice and paint it silver, but since I already have the shimmery base that was sposed to be for the kandy coating, I think I'll go with like a Kandy silver... then do the whole thing in that color. think thatll be better

Old 01-15-2006, 06:34 AM
snobrdrdan
Captain

What color interior you have?? Grey or Khaki??

You don't wanna do a glossy black??

If you don't, then yeah I'd go with the Silver then

Old 01-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Frenchy
Banned

im getting the grey, and maybe I will do a glossy black... think that would look better?

Old 01-16-2006, 04:21 PM
snobrdrdan
Captain

Yeah....

At the Auto Show yesterday (in Detroit)....I saw a Niterunner edition Dakota there.

It's all blacked out on the exterior (even black chrome wheels), and on the interior it has silver face gauges and black door handles and the radio bezel was a glossy black.

Looked sweet with the grey interior!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Frenchy
Banned

Alrighty, thats the route I am going then! Thanks man for all the help. I'll have pics up as soon as I get the truck, and again as soon as I get this all done.

Quick Reply: Another post about the center console bezel.