3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Just installed the Magnaflow Split Duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:47 AM
DakotaDoug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed the Magnaflow Split Duals

So I got the exhaust done tonight. So far so good, I think I really like the sound but I haven't done more than a 5 minute test drive. It was a pretty straight forward installation but I was glad I had a neighbor to help me out. I didn't realize that the system was gonaa eliminate both resonators and the muffler! It was kinda tricky getting all the pipes routed positioned and then clamped together in the isolator mounts. Eventually I was able to tweak everything the way it needed to be and torqued it all down.

A couple of interesting notes:

1) After the first start up it appears I had some moisture leak at the first joint (Cat down pipe to main extension pipe). It looked like water/clean oil but it seemed to have stopped? I'll have to keep my eye on it and re-torque the connections in a couple days. Hopefully its not oil, but ZI did just change it to Valv Full Synthetic?

2) There was a noticeable ammount of exhaust smoke on rasping of the throttle (oil?) and then even after just idling. Could it be the new system just burning in or the oil? I could certainly smell something.

All in all, I think I'm gonna love it. I like the look of the split duals, the sound is nice and there may even be a little performance improvement noted (maybe placebo?).

Anyway, the brake shudder is still gone and now the new exhaust is on. I'm a happy dakota owner right now!

Old 03-09-2006, 05:42 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just installed the Magnaflow True Duals

Any time you put new stuff in your exhaust system it's going to burn off the protective oils that keep the surfaces from rusting in storage/transit. It's a normal smell.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:00 PM
DakotaDoug
Rookie
Default RE: Just installed the Magnaflow Split Duals

Horatio, thanks for the feedback thats along the line of what I was thinking.

Okay, so a couple more things after driving the truck to work this morning (only 5 miles, 2 of which are highway).

Didn't seem to have the hot odor and no signs of fluid in drive way or parking lot. So that seems good.

It seems that since I had the battery disconnected for 3-4 hours that the Trans Control Unit may be relearning my shift pattern. I say this because it seems to be up shifting more aggressively and also downshifting earlier as to give an engine braking effect (tow haul mode like). It could be that I'm just stepping deeper into the throttle more to hear the orhcestra of the exhaust but the engine breaking effect is definitely new. Anyone else notice this after disconnecting the battery for a while?

I am starting to think that I may really be able to feel a performance improvement from the new exhaust. I'm skepticle that it would be that noticeable but it certainly feels better. It makes me want to more seriously consider a CAI kit as well! It could only help performance!

By the way, I'm glad I went with the MagnaFlow kit. Asteticaly its a beautiful polished ss mufler and tips. The rest of the system is ss also so it will hold up well in the holiday trips back to Michigan. The clamps were impressively solid and the syste just give a confident quality feeling. I also like the idea that you can maintain the 17" spare wheel and tire, unlike Gibson & others!

Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM
saroni

Hey DakotaDoug - can you post some pics - I would love to see the new exhaust system, as I'm sure others would too!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 PM
WorrGames
Professional

yeah, id love to see the system.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Drakkon
Professional

or video as we'd love to hear it too

Also just wondering, are you saying it took 3-4 hours to install with you and your buddy? no welding required, just a torque wrench and standard car working tools? I'm considering the magnaflow myself, but if it requires any welding I'm just goign to take it to a shop :P

Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 PM
DakotaDoug
Rookie

Will try and get some pics this evening or tommorow. Will have to get some free time to do so. I may also need a little help/do some learning as I'm not certain how to do the attachments of pics/video. I will get pics and video from my digital camera and attempt posts soon.

Drakkon. No welding required! The three to four hours is a little over estimated. In that same amount of time I also had to replace the front bumper fascia and chrome insert. These parts were already damaged when I bought the vehicle as a demo. Long story short, as part of the negotiation they threw in the parts (fascia and chrome) and painting but I agreed to install them myself.

Lastly, the engineer in me took over and I was very precise and deliberate in the whole install process. Thus between 3pm and 6pm I did the following:

1) Removed existing bumper fascia.
2) Then removed the chrome from existing fascia (just because I was curious)
3) Installed new chrome piece to new fascia
4) Installed new fascia to bumper on truck.
5) Disconnect battery negative.
6) Unpacked the new exhaust and test assembled on floor to confirm all parts were there and fit properly before disaasembling the stock exhaust on truck.
7) Disassembled the stock exhaust system from truck. This required use of an 8lb persuader tool (aka 8 lb fibreglass sledgehammer) because after 8000 miles some of the components were mated quite well.
8) Assembled new exhaust to the truck. This required some patience to get all the pieces in place and ajdusted so both rear pipes were equal distance from the center of the truck as well as equally height from the ground.
9) Then once all the pieces are in position you have to go back with the torque wrech and really tighten the crap out of all the clamps. This slightly repositions the pieces and then you have to do one last final adjustment to the tail pipes.
10) Connect battery negative
11) Lastly, test drive truck and clean up shop.

I started at 3pm and by 6:30 I was eating dinner. All in all working on the truck or boat is something I do because I enjoy it and I take my time. I'm also very meticulous and actually read directions so I guarantee it could be done quicker I just wasn't in a hurry!

Will post pictures ASAP!

Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 PM
DakotaDoug
Rookie

fascia damage in red circle. The other scratches occurred while storing/shoving the fascia under the boat trailer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28592/77C89D34B5DC4EF4BA0F4410DE34097E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2006, 10:42 PM
DakotaDoug
Rookie

Stock removed exhaust pic 1

[IMG]local://upfiles/28592/6245AB4B8EBC45B9B4D2F55E0B6E6752.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-10-2006, 10:48 PM
DakotaDoug
Rookie