3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Attaching brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 PM
cybrownaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching brake controller

Where is the OEM plug for the brake controller to plugged in to a 2005 Quad Cab? I've looked under the dash with no success.

Cody
Chandler, AZ

Old 04-11-2006, 11:33 PM
GemmySan
Rookie
Default RE: Attaching brake controller

If its in the same place as my 06 Dak QC the white plug is located on the left next to the kick panel close to the firewall. It is mounted in a 'pin vertical' position and is an easy access to plug the connector into.

I installed a Prodigy using a connector cable made for the Dodge. Industrial grade velco and mounted just to the right of the steering column. Total installation time was about 5 minutes.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is a brake controller?

Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

You will find the connector on top of your emergeny brake pedal assembly under the dash. It is a white connector tapped to the top right side of the assembly, should plug directly into the prodigy cable.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
butchowens

Cody,
Actually an '05 is a blue connector mounted vertically just to the right of the e-brake pedal....If the truck was bought with the factory towing package you should even have the harness/electronic brake kit. The part number is 56045797AB.......My truck came with it. I'm sure the parts department has a few of these in stock....I got mine on Bell and I-17 Fwy

Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Frenchy

What is a brake controller?

Old 04-13-2006, 12:15 AM
GemmySan
Rookie

ORIGINAL: cybrownaz

Where is the OEM plug for the brake controller to plugged in to a 2005 Quad Cab? I've looked under the dash with no success.

Cody
Chandler, AZ
Cody, does your QC have the factory Tow Package? If so, you should find it as we have stated. I don't know if Dodge did the wiring and NOT install the tow package. In which case, no tow package, no wire harness. I'm only guessing here since mine had the tow pkg and the plug was easily found.

What type of controller are you trying to install? Are you using the Dodge adapter cable? or are you using a controller specific wiring cable for the Dodge?

Jim

Old 04-13-2006, 12:24 PM
sdsdsd
Captain

Frenchy, The brake controller is for use of electric brakes on a trailer. It sends the proper amount of voltage and current to the trailer brakes as needed instead of %100 on or off.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 PM
cncman40

I have an 06 Dakota, so would my connector be white or blue?? Does not have the factory towing package....How heavy a trailer could I tow? It has a class 3 hitch frame and bumper mounted....

Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I you do not have a factory tow package, you do not have the connector. You can make one, though! I did one on my 06 without any problems. I actually got a deal on the Dodge Patch Cable and McGivered it in. Just follow the instructions on the box, use the wiring diagrams from the service manual, and Bob's Your Uncle!

Quick Reply: Attaching brake controller