3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Newbie questions about a new Dakota purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:17 AM
szekanis
Default Newbie questions about a new Dakota purchase.

I'm most likely going to pick up a new Dakota this weekend. A SLT Club Cab with the V-6 and 6 speed. I'm kind of worried about the lack of aftermarket support for the truck especially considering how big the last series was. I've found exhaust and cold air intakes, but no lowering kits, except what I read about here and that's one choice. No aftermarket shifters though it's the same Getrag 6-speed in the Jeep these days. Just wondering a bit. I want to improve the MPG a little bit and the sound right off. But I definately want to play with it down the road. And opinions? Answers? Ideas? I thought about just picking up a low mileage 2004 instead....

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:38 AM
QCDAKblue
Veteran
Default RE: Newbie questions about a new Dakota purchase.

IMO if you want a truck to play with and worried about performance parts why dont you get the V8. Cracks me up when people will spend hundreds trying to improve MPG, how long do you have to drive those parts to make up for the costs? I spend alot on aftermarkets parts to enjoy them and not worry about MPG. Any like I said IMO only.

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:42 AM
szekanis

I have plenty of toys for pure unadultered speed. This will be used for a daily commute and chasing parts mostly. I want a mid size truck that gets decent mileage. I want to lower it a bit as it looks like a 4x4 stock. I want to improve the driveability. I really liked the last series and probably should have bought one of those in 2004 before they did away with them, then I would have probably even gotten the 4 banger....

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:57 AM
white26golf
Veteran

2004 Dakota 4 cylinder???????

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:39 AM
superdak05
Champion

i have the 4.7 and get 18.0 around town and 23.0 on the highway. look at the horse power to weight ratio and you will see the 4.7 is the better for gas mileage. also i have the lowering shakles on my 05. sits nice. easy to install. almost 2.0 inch drop in rear. most people install the lift blocks in frt, but they are to much to do. intakes are simple and exhaust. locating your iat sensor will improve mileage and installing a 180 thermostat too.

Old 07-06-2006 | 06:40 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

yup, i'd go with the v-8. you would think the the v-8 would get worse mileage than the v-6 (2 more cylinders) but, their about even (depending on the driver, sometimes the v-8 gets BETTER mpg) (on my truck, i get 13-14 city, 16-19highway)
as for the 4-banger (2.5L) 2002 was the last year for that, and they dropped that b/c it wasn't selling good... good luck finding one of them.
The only reason my truck has the V-6 is because I bought it used this last winter, and you can't be too picky on 10-year old used vehicles. But I would strongly suggest getting a V-8.
if your that concerned about mileage, go play with the little boys (ranger and s-10/colorado, the ones that still offer I-4's, and can't even begin to think about a v-8) but, if you want to play with the real boys, get a dodge.

Old 07-06-2006 | 12:21 PM
szekanis

Well I have a full size truck (1960 International B100) so I'm not needing a big truck, which is part of the reason I'm bummed that they made the new Dakotas so much bigger. I have a fresh 425 going in my Int'l so having another V8 truck doesn't really make sense.

And sorry I didn't know 2002 was the last year for the 4 banger I just figured that it was the last body style. I drove one of the Dakotas the other day and it seemed to do fine with the V6 I just thought there might be a little aftermarket help, but there's not really any for that truck at this time. I guess the last generation of the Dakota is the one to have as it is the best balance of size and power, bummer.

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:18 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

Think you have to do some research. The last generation isnt any smaller than the 05-06, both came with a v8, matter fact the r/t had a 360ci. Sounds like you want a toy truck, get one of those GM things or one of the frontiers with the 4cyl in it. Also saying the last generation was better in this section wont win you any fanfair as in this area we pretty much all own 3 gen daks and prolly happen to like them. I looked at the V6 but it only got 2 MPG better and couldent tow half as much. I am glad to have gotten the V8 with towing my 2 850+lbs jetskis what kind of MPG would the 6 gotten? I thought I would never own another american vehicle (I am a BMW nut) but think the DAK was perfect for my needs, nice size, look, and can pull my toys. Wasnt going to latch 2 jetskis to a M3 and was not about to drop 62K for X5 to do the same thing as a 27K dak.

Old 07-06-2006 | 05:07 PM
szekanis

Actually I think it is you that need to do the research the 3rd gen is indeed bigger than the 2nd Gen. The 3rd Gen is almost 3" wider and 3.8" longer. And the V8 does not tow twice the V6's unless 4900 is half of 7150, which then you need to work on your math skills. not to mention your people skills. you are an ***, but I won't take it as a sign of the board, hell you only have 28 posts and have been here for a month and a half. I wish someone that actually could answer my questions would speak up instead of an asshat like you. Look at the new Dakota next to a RAM 1500 there just isn't much difference these days. I'm actually trying to get a few answers and instead all I get a smart ***. I want a mid-size truck not a mini and not a full size, I guess that's to hard for some of you to understand, but talking down to someone on the internet may make you feel better about yourself you are absolutely no help. I thank those that gave actuall helpful answers.

Old 07-06-2006 | 05:42 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Yes, the Gen 3 (2005-current) Dakotas are slightly larger than the previous. They also can tow a crap load more than the competition.
Serioulsly though, although you say, "so having another V8 truck doesn't really make sense," and you want a I-4 or V-6... SERIOUSLY... in these Dakotas the V-8 gets about the same mileage (depending on driver, a little more, a little less... of course, if you floor it from the stop sign all the time, they will all get crappy mileage).
Not to be an ***, but don't come here and tell us what our trucks do or do not get for mileage. We already own them, we drive them, we can see the mileage they get.
I've heard many, many people say, "oh ****, the V-8 gets the same mileage as the V-6, its got more power, and I could have towed more... I should have got the V-8."
Don't be another one of them...

Quick Reply: Newbie questions about a new Dakota purchase.