3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

My truck shakes when braking??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 11:09 PM
famousfreak30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My truck shakes when braking??

i orginally had the dodge dakota 17" slt wheels on it. Before i bought my new rims, the brakes would squeek almost every time i stopped. Now i put on my new 22's, the car shakes when i break from about 25 and up. But now they don't squeek anymore. The guy who i bought them off of balanced them but i noticed yesterday that the weights were off on one side. the only time that it doesn't shake is when the road is at a little slant. Do you think its because the wheels are not balanced properly or is it my rotors?

Thanks, Scott

Old 11-24-2006, 01:20 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: My truck shakes when braking??

definetly have the rims checked for being warped. also when you put on bigger rims and tires it is a good idea to get an alignment

Old 11-24-2006, 02:50 AM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

Also check the factory drum/rotor clips on the lugs are removed when you put on the larger wheels. Some aftermarket rims sit totally flush as the factory wheels leave space for the retainers. The retainers are only there to keep the drums/rotors in place as it moved down the assembly line. With such a large diameter wheel that slight misalignment on the wheel can translate to a huge wobble. Baasically take the wheels back off remove the washer looking thing, one per wheel.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:44 AM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wheels had two washers per wheel. Just to clarify.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 AM
famousfreak30

okay thanks, im taking it in first thing in the morning to discount to get them rebalanced and a alignment. then ill ask them about the spacers.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:57 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

I had a tire going flat and took it in for repair and come to find out that my factory rim was out of balance according to the tire repair tech. He said he got the wheel and tire to balance but it took weights in both sides of the rim. I never had an out of balance problem as far as driving speed oscillation or hopping etc. With the TRX4 suspension though it may be harder to tell because the suspension is very tight. I have road in non TRX4 Gen3s and they ride very car like. They ride even better than many cars. That may be the reason some complain about the bouncy front ends. So the combination of out of balance wheels/tires and light duty shocks will defiantly cause shaking.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:42 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

A balence will take weight on both sides of the rim probably 99% of the time, it is just how much weight it needs is the issue.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 AM
dcurtis48

So should I take those retainer clips off even with the stock wheels?

Old 11-26-2006, 05:38 AM
famousfreak30

i took it in and they rebalanced them cause the guy who balanced them did a ****ty job. and when he put them on, he didn't take off the brake clips.. so thats why they were shaking.. its all fixed now :-)

Quick Reply: My truck shakes when braking??