3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM
deim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter tires?

Hi guys!

I am new here, just got my R/T about a month ago. Well, I am new not only here, but also to the big SUV's.

Question I have is - how good are tires on Durango in a winter? My R/T is on 20" rims with Kumho (as far as I remember) A/S tires. I am used to getting a sets of good winters for all my other cars. Mostly because my other cars are on summer tires by default :-)

Basically, I do not like an idea of driving in winter on 20" rims and I do not like all-season (no-season) tires. But maybe I am wrong about it in regards to Durango?!

Last edited by deim; 08-26-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Kumhos, as well as the vehicle, are new thus no one is going to be able to specifically and definitively answer those questions unless they can predict the future. it will be at least 2 years before the Kumhos first begin to wear out on heavily usd vehicles and a full winter to tell if they are any good at all with fresh or moderately used tread.

Using a bit of thought, would I recommend an all season tire for any place in Canada? Of course not. However, the manufacturer isn't going to ship a true winter tire in one place and a summer tire to those that live in Texas for example.

Solution A: Live with it until you can't
Solution B: Run two sets of wheels like some do (including me. I swap mine on Halloween and Easter from the winter set of wheels and rubber to the summer set of wheels and rubber)

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 08-27-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 AM
deim

"Solution B" is what I have been doing for at least last 12 years. Well, persistence is a virtue

Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Solution B: Run two sets of wheels like some do (including me. I swap mine on Halloween and Easter from the winter set of wheels and rubber to the summer set of wheels and rubber)

IndyDurango
I always go with this one as it is finable (if in an accident) to run non winter tires in ...er.. winter..in Switzerland.

But, is it worth putting on 20 Inch winter tires or better go for a set of 18's.....

Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of 20" wheels on my 2007 (different generation) and I never had a problem in the winter although we do not get the snow that you Canadians get here in Pittsburgh,
FF

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
deim

Originally Posted by Leman
I always go with this one as it is finable (if in an accident) to run non winter tires in ...er.. winter..in Switzerland.

But, is it worth putting on 20 Inch winter tires or better go for a set of 18's.....
Changing tires on the same set of rims every half a year makes no sense by many reasons.
  1. I prefer changing wheels myself - it is faster and easier and is done in a convenient time, but I can't do re-mount and balancing myself, obviously.
  2. price of remounting and re-balancing every half-a-year very quickly adds up to the amount even bigger then the price of a new set of rims :-)
  3. it feels good to do at least something small by myself, and not just to pay a visit to some mechanic :-)
  4. it is always good in a winter to use rims as small as possible, and tires as narrow as possible. Check winter rally races - they race on extremely skinny tires.

Last edited by deim; 08-29-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 PM
deim

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
I have a set of 20" wheels on my 2007 (different generation) and I never had a problem in the winter although we do not get the snow that you Canadians get here in Pittsburgh,
FF
Probably, in a mostly city-driving conditions difference between 20" and 18" would be very negligable...

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

By saying rim you mean 'wheel' as the rim is a part of the wheel such as the brim is on a cup?

Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM
deim

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
By saying rim you mean 'wheel' as the rim is a part of the wheel such as the brim is on a cup?
Hmm, I always thought there is an additional meaning to the word 'rim', like this one from Oxford Dictionaries:

rim
  • the outer edge of a wheel, on which the tyre is fitted:
the fitting of radials on new rims
Otherwise, if it is always 'wheel', then how would you distinguish between wheel+tire combo from just an alloy (or steel) wheel without tire?!

Oh, well, what do I know... English is not my first language anyway

Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by deim
  1. I prefer changing wheels myself - it is faster and easier and is done in a convenient time, but I can't do re-mount and balancing myself, obviously.
  2. price of remounting and re-balancing every half-a-year very quickly adds up to the amount even bigger then the price of a new set of rims :-)
  3. it feels good to do at least something small by myself, and not just to pay a visit to some mechanic :-)
  4. it is always good in a winter to use rims as small as possible, and tires as narrow as possible. Check winter rally races - they race on extremely skinny tires.
That all sounds logical and makes sense to me. I will go that route... now need to get some wheels and tires shipped over here to Switzerland as needless to say, they are a ridiculous price here. ($3'000 just for 4 wheels!)

Thank you for the input ..

Quick Reply: Winter tires?