Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

DIY: Head Light Bulb / HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011 | 07:49 AM
simpsonsr0ck
|
Amateur

If anyone could list the steps needed to take the bumper off I would greatly appreciate it! I hate trying to guess at it when it come to the bumper because there are some things that snap and push and I usually end up breaking off a few tabs when I try to figure it out

@darkmanrob did you have any fitment issues when you installed the bulbs? Im guessing its much easier to kinda force the bulb into the housing when everything it out but man does this suck just to replace a bulb

Old 09-15-2011 | 08:45 AM
darkmanrob85
Amateur

Originally Posted by durango007
Nice write up simpsonsrock.

@darkmanrob, have u tried removing the ECE to see if ur headlights would turn on at the same time consistently?
Naw I haven't tried. Do you think the ECEs are interfering with the power flow from the factory wire harness to the ballast? I'll remove the ECE from the driver side hid light and see what happens this weekend.

Old 09-15-2011 | 09:01 AM
darkmanrob85
Amateur

Originally Posted by simpsonsr0ck
If anyone could list the steps needed to take the bumper off I would greatly appreciate it! I hate trying to guess at it when it come to the bumper because there are some things that snap and push and I usually end up breaking off a few tabs when I try to figure it out

@darkmanrob did you have any fitment issues when you installed the bulbs? Im guessing its much easier to kinda force the bulb into the housing when everything it out but man does this suck just to replace a bulb
I wish I could help you with instructions on taking off the bumper. My brother-in-law works on cars so I saw him pop this off that off unclip this unbolt that and in 5 min the bumper was off. As for the bulb fitment, they just clicked right in. Maybe because I had the headlight housing completely off so I was able to put the hid bulb in more securely. There is a little cut out, with a cap/cover, in the wheel well that allows you to get the bulbs, but it's still kinda small and you can barely see inside

Old 09-15-2011 | 05:16 PM
cbrrider012
Professional

Darkmanrob Did you have any issues with the HID bulbs not fitting in properly like simpson did?

Old 09-15-2011 | 10:34 PM
durango007

Originally Posted by darkmanrob85
Naw I haven't tried. Do you think the ECEs are interfering with the power flow from the factory wire harness to the ballast? I'll remove the ECE from the driver side hid light and see what happens this weekend.

I'm not for certain with the headlights and ECEs....but for my fog lights, taking the ECEs off made the fog lights come on consistently and works flawlessly. I did, however had the same problem with my fogs as you did with your headlights when I installed the ECEs. That's why I took them off. Just them off and see if it works out for ya.....

Old 09-16-2011 | 09:13 AM
darkmanrob85
Amateur

Originally Posted by cbrrider012
Darkmanrob Did you have any issues with the HID bulbs not fitting in properly like simpson did?
No I didn't. I think it's because I had the whole headlight housing out and I was able to see exactly how the hid bulb went in.

Old 09-21-2011 | 02:00 AM
simpsonsr0ck
|
Amateur

That access panel in the tire weld sure does make things A LOT easier. I took some pics but the ebay kit came with its own frustration so i am just going to go with silverstar's and stop messing around with the HID kits. I should have known better, if you want HID's get them OEM and dont try messing around with el cheapo aftermarket ones. Pictures to follow soon

Old 09-24-2011 | 12:46 PM
darkmanrob85
Amateur

Originally Posted by durango007
I'm not for certain with the headlights and ECEs....but for my fog lights, taking the ECEs off made the fog lights come on consistently and works flawlessly. I did, however had the same problem with my fogs as you did with your headlights when I installed the ECEs. That's why I took them off. Just them off and see if it works out for ya.....
Alright so I was able to work on my lights today. So I took off the ECEs and the lights still worked, but my driver-side light still wouldn't turn on when I turned on the lights. I did buy the wire harness but I wanted to play around with ballast first. So after messing around with some stuff, I came to the conclusion that my ballast was bad. So I took a ballast from off my fogs and used it for my low beams and I worked. No warning alarms or anything on the dash display. I have to contact DDM Tuning so they can send me another ballast.

Old 09-24-2011 | 12:50 PM
darkmanrob85
Amateur

Originally Posted by simpsonsr0ck
That access panel in the tire weld sure does make things A LOT easier. I took some pics but the ebay kit came with its own frustration so i am just going to go with silverstar's and stop messing around with the HID kits. I should have known better, if you want HID's get them OEM and dont try messing around with el cheapo aftermarket ones. Pictures to follow soon
Hold up young grasshopper. We are going to get these HIDs in your Durango, so get that DDM Tuning kit back out. I said in my previous post I was able to work on my lights. I have a DIY post coming for bumper and head light removal. Just give a 1/2 hour to get the post together.

Old 09-26-2011 | 11:30 PM
durango007

yea, give it another shot. DDM's HID kits are worth the money. I have used them exclusively in the past on my 3 motorcycles and 2 vehicles. For the price, you can't really go wrong.......keep trying.

*just a happy customer with good results with DDM....not associated with them* heehehe

Quick Reply: DIY: Head Light Bulb / HID Install