DIY: Head Light Bulb / HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 AM
simpsonsr0ck
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY: Head Light Bulb / HID Install

UPDATE!
There is a larger opening in the tire weld that is accessible by turning a circular plastic piece. I was actually able to install another HID kit in about 15 mins using this method and after about a week went back and tried the DDM kit again and had better success. I found it was best to still remove the plastic cladding in the engine bay and also use the access area in the tire weld.

Here are some pictures of the opening and plastic piece:

from the tire area

from the engine bay

To start off with this was more of a pita then it should have been. I have small thick hands and I am hoping someone has a better way of doing this then how I did but here it goes.

Stuff needed:
H11 Low beam bulbs
Small Flat Head Screw Driver
Small Hands
Long Fingers
Time and patience

Step 1:
Pop off a bunch of small plastic screws on both sides to get the plastic up to expose the small opening for the head lamp

There is also some weather stripping attached with these green spikes that will need to be slid off in order to make it easier to access the opening

Here is the unreal small opening to access the h11 bulb, I bruised the hell out of my hand trying to wiggle it in and turn it to get the bulb in and out. You can see the top of the connector its the small black square

another view of it to the left just before the fender

Step 2.
Turn the connector counter clockwise a bit if your standing in front of the car. This should release the connector and bulb and can pull it out enough to unsnap the clips to free the H11 bulb and replace as needed. If your just replacing it with a standard bulb your day is done. Reverse the steps and your good to go. The rest of the stuff is to document the HID install (attempt) I did.

From this point I tried to install the DDM H11 kit. Here are some notes about this kit.

-shipment took forever because it came from china
-it does not appear that I need to use the error code eliminators even though i purchased them. I test installed the hids outside of the head lamps and did not get any messages on the console.

Here are some pictures of the kit as well

HID Install notes

Basically you just have to connect everything as needed and find a way to make it look as stealth as possible.

Here are some pictures I took for where to put the ballast and light comparison to stock

Ballast is ziptied to the frame and I used some soft weatherstripping stuff I had laying around on the backside to protect the paint on the car

Last edited by simpsonsr0ck; 10-18-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 AM
undertow999
Amateur

Man what a pain in the butt. Have you tried removing the entire headlight housing and installing the bulbs that way. I know when I replaced the HID's in my Audi I had to remove the entire housing. It shouldn't be that difficult to do, just make sure when you re install the housings that they are level.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM
simpsonsr0ck
Amateur

Looks like I have to take the bumper off in order to get the head light assembly out :/

Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM
sidewinder9m
Veteran

Originally Posted by simpsonsr0ck
To start off with this was more of a pita then it should have been. I have small thick hands and I am hoping someone has a better way of doing this then how I did but here it goes.

Stuff needed:
H11 Low beam bulbs
Small Flat Head Screw Driver
Small Hands
Long Fingers
Time and patience
Luv the HID fogs set up!! I'll have to do this mod one of these days....

For the 'small hands', do you have a spare child/kid around the house...LOL

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM
coldsteel
Captain

The proper procedure for removing the headlamp assemblies and even replacing bulbs should they go bad (after several years) is to remove the entire front fascia. I have a Citadel and a Charger and the procedure is roughly the same. Pop all the plastic pins, detach the underbody shroud, pop the fender wells and pull it off the front of the vehicle THEN you can access the housings for removal or whatever.

EDIT: And in case I didn't make it clear; I do find this to be a ridiculous procedure just to gain access to the headlamps; there has to be a better way.

Last edited by coldsteel; 09-14-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
cbrrider012
Professional

Wow cannot believe it is this difficult to reproduce an H11 bulb that fits... Well keep us updated on the ebay kit and whether or not the bulbs fit better!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I guess you don't want to drive around after dark with your mis-matched headlights. LOL.

So, since it's goofy right now, can you point the D at a wall and take a picture of stock vs HID headlight hitting the wall? In your picture, the HID looks much brighter, but it doesn't look aimed right.......rather than the cool look of HID, it just looks like it's going to blind everyone else on the road. Does it look different in person?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
simpsonsr0ck
Amateur

Originally Posted by sidewinder9m
Luv the HID fogs set up!! I'll have to do this mod one of these days....
the fogs are just ebay LED lights not hids but thats the reason I went with them based on the color. Generally speaking these foglights are more for show then any actuall usefulness and I tend to be OCD when it come to matching things up so if the head lights are super white, the fogs have to be as well!

Originally Posted by kingofwylietx
I guess you don't want to drive around after dark with your mis-matched headlights. LOL.

So, since it's goofy right now, can you point the D at a wall and take a picture of stock vs HID headlight hitting the wall? In your picture, the HID looks much brighter, but it doesn't look aimed right.......rather than the cool look of HID, it just looks like it's going to blind everyone else on the road. Does it look different in person?
You are correct and the number 1 reason for this is because the bulb is not sitting level in the housing. Its basically half *** jammed in there. I realized that i broke off one of the 3 plastic tabs so its propped up and crooked and I am probably blinding the **** out of people when I drive at night. As per my last post about OCD you can only imagine how much this is annoying me to have 3 color matching lights and 1 orange light. Not only that but I try not to be that guy who has the hid kit that is aimed obnixously high just to intentionally blind people but my hands still hurt from this install. My wife actually pointed out in one of the pictures how swollen my thumb is. its easily 3x the regular size and that was before it got so bad that I couldnt fit it in the opening any more.

Originally Posted by coldsteel
The proper procedure for removing the headlamp assemblies and even replacing bulbs should they go bad (after several years) is to remove the entire front fascia. I have a Citadel and a Charger and the procedure is roughly the same. Pop all the plastic pins, detach the underbody shroud, pop the fender wells and pull it off the front of the vehicle THEN you can access the housings for removal or whatever.
The question I have is this. You still need to disconnect ALL of the lights and/or connectors to the bulbs so is there really any advantage to taking out the headlight completely? I mean for me with my poor fit HID kit i can kinda force it better and shave some of the hid bulb area but if I was just doing a straight up bulb replacement there is no reason to go to this level because you would basically need to still find a way to disconnect everything before removing the housing anyway.

I seriously considered removing the bolt to the frame just to be able to get some more wiggle room. I did remove the small 12mm screw for the light housing and could shift it around some but it did not give me the room I needed.

Hopefully this weekend I will be able to at least put back the stock bulb so that way the head lights match up. I will keep everyone updated when the ebay kits comes but my hope is that someone with better luck and skills then me offers up some help

Last edited by simpsonsr0ck; 09-14-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:17 AM
darkmanrob85
Amateur

Dam I totally forgot to start a thread. I was super busy. My bad ya'll. Simpsonsr0ck I c you finally got your kit from ddm. Yeah mine took long as hell to arrive also since it was also shipped from china. Anyway I installed my kit last weekend. I have 8,000k H11 Low Beams and H16 fogs. To install the fogs I followed durango007 instructions he posted in the 'Replacement Fog Lamp Bulbs' thread. Post #31. As for the Lows, you guys are right, you do have to take off bumper in-order to install low beam hids. As you can see from the picture below:

The guy in the picture is my future brother-in-law. He works on cars so taking off the bumper was a piece of cake. You can't take out the head light housing w/o taking off the bumper. The headlight housing has three bolts. One you access by taking off the plastic pieces under the hood, one is behind grill, and the other is behind the bumper close to the wheel.

Simpsonsr0ck you said you didn't use the ECE's? I didn't even think about testing it w/o them. I just assumed you would need them. So, I installed the ECE's with the HID kit. Lows only thou.

Here is how they look at night:

But I did run into a problem. The driver side blub doesn't turn on all times when I first turn the light switch to ON. Sometimes I have to keep turning it ON then OFF again for the blub to turn on.

First time turning ON light switch:

After a couple of times of turning the light switch ON and OFF:

So I'm assuming that my driver side bulb housing is not providing enough power to the ECEs/balllast. I did read some where that if you run multiple HID kits on your car, that you would need a wiring harness. So I bought the ddm wiring harness. And yes it's coming from china so hopefully it comes next week so I can install it. I'll probably take off the ECEs, since it's not needed, when I install the wiring harness.

If you guys have any questions lmk.

Oh I also installed some led license plate lights that I got from superbrightleds.com:

I would like to change all the interior lights to led. Has anyone done that yet?

Last edited by darkmanrob85; 02-27-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 AM
durango007

Nice write up simpsonsrock.

@darkmanrob, have u tried removing the ECE to see if ur headlights would turn on at the same time consistently?

Quick Reply: DIY: Head Light Bulb / HID Install