3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM
diggy33
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed now that there is quite a bit of popping coming from the system when I'm playing my iPod or the satellite radio. Doesnt happen with FM radio. I made sure it wasnt my iPod nor the cable - swapped both of them and played in my other vehicles just fine. Thats another thing to put on my list when I bring my D in to the dealer for the 3rd time to fix this whistling noise coming from the door seal and rattle coming from the dash

Old 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Eternalpower

I replaced the fronts with 6 1/2 alpine type R components and the rears with 6 1/2 Apine type R. I also got rid of the factory sub and put in a 10" Alpine type S subwoofer. There wasn't room for a 12". I powered it all with an Alpine 5 channel that pushes 500 watts. It's all under the sub-floor cover. Made a hole in the cover for the sub and then screened it to protect the sub. It sounds real good. I might put in a clean sweep or a signal processor to get that perfect crisp sound out of the factory radio which is the weak link. I am also going to install a lock pick for the rear camera and an overhead TV. I will takes some pics as soon as I can.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Ghostwriter

Originally Posted by Eternalpower
I replaced the fronts with 6 1/2 alpine type R components and the rears with 6 1/2 Apine type R. I also got rid of the factory sub and put in a 10" Alpine type S subwoofer. There wasn't room for a 12". I powered it all with an Alpine 5 channel that pushes 500 watts. It's all under the sub-floor cover. Made a hole in the cover for the sub and then screened it to protect the sub. It sounds real good. I might put in a clean sweep or a signal processor to get that perfect crisp sound out of the factory radio which is the weak link. I am also going to install a lock pick for the rear camera and an overhead TV. I will takes some pics as soon as I can.
Only for my interest...

Why do you've replaced the poor Alpine Audio components with other Alpine components?

There are many other manufacturers who can produce good speakers and amps like Kicker, Focal, Rõdek, Pyle, Bose, Axton etc.
For me, Alpine is ever a bad idea... so i'm surprised you're happy with

Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Eternalpower

Originally Posted by Ghostwriter
Only for my interest...

Why do you've replaced the poor Alpine Audio components with other Alpine components?

There are many other manufacturers who can produce good speakers and amps like Kicker, Focal, Rõdek, Pyle, Bose, Axton etc.
For me, Alpine is ever a bad idea... so i'm surprised you're happy with
It's the top of the line Alpine. I like Infinity products better. My STi that I did sounds great with the Infinity speakers. A few months ago I did an all Alpine system in my 2005 Mustang GT with these same components, but with two 12" Alpine type R subs. It sounds great as well. And there was a sale on Aline buy one, get one half off. It was a good deal. The weak point is the factory radio. It has a horrible processor.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
diggy33
Professional

Alpine makes good stuff. I've been rockin' two 12" Type R's in my Altima for the longest time, powered by an MTX amp. I've had to de-tune that thing so much because it used to hit so hard.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Ghostwriter

In my opinion Alpine is OK but they have never made really good Hi-End Equipment. Therefore I'll prefer another solution for my Car, but glad to hear you're happy with - That's the goal.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghostwriter
In my opinion Alpine is OK but they have never made really good Hi-End Equipment. Therefore I'll prefer another solution for my Car, but glad to hear you're happy with - That's the goal.

Alpine is not great at all anymore.
We sell a boat load of audio and I will not sell Alpine as its just not very good anymore.

If you want to clean up the sound get rid of the Alpine amp and put in an ARC xdi805, or Kenwood XR5s 5 channel amp and you will be amazed the difference.

Do a Google search on Alpine and noise floor issues and you will see why there is noise

Glad you like the upgrade and are happy with the Alpine stuff

Last edited by Double D Mods; 02-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
m8knuthink
Professional

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Alpine is not great at all anymore.
We sell a boat load of audio and I will not sell Alpine as its just not very good anymore.

If you want to clean up the sound get rid of the Alpine amp and put in an ARC xdi805, or Kenwood XR5s 5 channel amp and you will be amazed the difference.

Do a Google search on Alpine and noise floor issues and you will see why there is noise

Glad you like the upgrade and are happy with the Alpine stuff
Where is the amp located??? and does it mess with the rest of the system?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
bportman
Professional

Originally Posted by boosted20v
Swapped my front doors with Focal 6x9's, amazing difference.
Will this help with the bass? I listen to a lot of hip hop/rap, I don't want my rear view mirror shaking like I'm 16 again however some nice deep bass would be appreciated. I have a 12inch sony sub/amp sitting in the garage so if I went this way it wouldn't be too expensive.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 PM
boosted20v
Veteran

Of course it's not going to help with deep bass. It's a big improvement full range to include light bass. As mentioned earlier in this thread, if you haven't already done it turn your mid setting all the way down. That gave a noticeable diff. in low end bass.

Quick Reply: Poor Sound from Alpine Stereo