3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rattle at 50-60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
JCO1981
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the doors don't line up on my RT AS well the build quality is garbage. I have been upset since day 1 and wish I had my old truck back. I complained with Dodge direct and got no were with them. The truck is a piece of crap doesn't meet my standards at all for a $45k truck. I hope someone from Dodge reads these post about how many people are having problems with this truck. I am still having problems with ride quality of the vehicle it sucks should be much smoother. Bottom line is that the Durango no matter which model you have is the worst SUV on the road in my opinion and like I said it will be gone at 20k miles so I dont get absolutely killed on the trade.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
SaleemEl
Default 2012 R/T Durango rattle

Fellow R/T Durango owners, I think I have found what is causing that annoying rattle sound around the steering area. If you look under the hood, there is a long black piece of hard plastic that runs across just behind the engine from side to side. This plastic is attached inside what appears to be slots in the metal fender. The plastic is free moving and will cause a rattle noise from the vibration of the wind and engine at moderate speeds. This is happening because it is just rubbing on the metal.

I sat inside my truck and had someone manipulate the plastic and was able to reproduce that same annoying sound.

Remember it's the hard plastic under the hood which is just below the windshield that runs from side to side.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by SaleemEl
Fellow R/T Durango owners, I think I have found what is causing that annoying rattle sound around the steering area. If you look under the hood, there is a long black piece of hard plastic that runs across just behind the engine from side to side. This plastic is attached inside what appears to be slots in the metal fender. The plastic is free moving and will cause a rattle noise from the vibration of the wind and engine at moderate speeds. This is happening because it is just rubbing on the metal.

I sat inside my truck and had someone manipulate the plastic and was able to reproduce that same annoying sound.

Remember it's the hard plastic under the hood which is just below the windshield that runs from side to side.
Well, there you go. Got there in the end and thank you for the tip. You may also, especially with as much salt on the road as there is at the moment in some parts of the world, put some heavy grease in the door lock mechanism and door hinges. I was getting a "creaking" sound from the doors and this cured all of the remaining noises. Seems the grease used by the factory is too light. I used some stuff we use for automatic weapons over here. Works a treat.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SaleemEl

So what did you do to fix this issue?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
///AMG Hauler
Rookie

Originally Posted by switchblade906
So what did you do to fix this issue?
I saw a Redline R/T at the corner of 436 & 17-92 Sat afternoon with some really cool graphics. Was that you?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
switchblade906
Record Breaker

No i don't have any graphics on mine.

I would never know what to put on it lol

Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
stevenailor

I have a rattle that is coming from the pillar or maybe it sounds like it is coming from the windshield area. I am going to look for that piece of black plastic near the engine. I have the V-6 so I am not sure if it has that piece or not. The rattle only seems to start at about 50 or 60 MPH. I have a 2012 Crew AWD with about 600 miles on it. Rattles really annoy me.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:58 AM
fitrider19
Default rattle

i had the same issue, it was off and on at higher speeds, and over some bumps. It ended up being the hinge rattling against the hood!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
stevenailor

I finally had enough of my rattle and took it to the dealer on Saturday. They worked on it for almost 3 hours and when I got it back it still had the rattle. It was less of a rattle but it was still there. This rattle sounded like it was coming from the pillar or the very front of the engine bay next to the windshield on the drivers side. I got it home and started fooling around with it myself and found that it was the winshield washer fluid hose rattling against the hood hinge. I took a small piece of duct tape and taped the hose to the hinge and the rattle is gone. I am wondering if there is something missing from my Durango. I would think that there would have been a clip or bracket holding that hose so it didn't rub up against the hood hinge. I will have to go back to the dealer and look in one on the lot.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
12hemiawdcitidale
Professional

Did you get the rattle resolved? Mine sounds like a loose wire inside the steering wheel that is rubbing against plastic but it comes and goes. It may also be coming from inside the dash or the a pillar. I'll look at the engine bay for a loose wire.

Other than that I love the truck!

Quick Reply: Rattle at 50-60 mph