3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

172 milles on vehicle and Drive train PCM failure 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:43 AM
tajturner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Lmao now I'm a troll. Okay well in all honesty I wouldn't make the mistake of buying anything brand new. I would always buy used and at least a couple years old so those problems could have been worked out.
So is that the part that you were asking him if he was willing to blame himself? For buying a new car?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

I think that poster was patting him/herself on the back, but this topic is worrisome for new and used purchasers.

2013 rolls around and you buy a 2011, PCM blows up (or some other part) and you have no online option to buy it, your service department doesn't have it, mopar parts doesn't have it, there are none in the junk yards... what are you going to do then? What if you get in an accident and one or more parts won't be available for an indefinite period of time.

Chrysler group just posted some pretty impressive numbers for their last quarter so they might be having some growth/supply problems. To leave the OP with a caravan, for an indefinite period of time, is crappy at best but probably meets lemon law.

In Florida, for example, Florida Lemon Law 681.104 1b talks about the time period as 15 days at dealer followed by a registered letter to the mfg. I think the OP should go down this route.

Originally Posted by tajturner
So is that the part that you were asking him if he was willing to blame himself? For buying a new car?

Last edited by OrlandoDurango; 02-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
tajturner

Funny you say that. His post was how I found this site on google. Why did I find his post in google, you say? Because I'm considering buying the 2012 r/t and wanted to see how the user reviews have been so far. Not the best pr. Of course, I'm still strongly considering it.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
m8knuthink
Professional

Originally Posted by tajturner
Funny you say that. His post was how I found this site on google. Why did I find his post in google, you say? Because I'm considering buying the 2012 r/t and wanted to see how the user reviews have been so far. Not the best pr. Of course, I'm still strongly considering it.
I've got a 2012 R/T RWD and have almost 3,000 miles on it and haven't had any issues with it. I loved the 1st Gen D I had and love this new one even more. Good luck with your purchase

Old 02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
tajturner

Originally Posted by m8knuthink
I've got a 2012 R/T RWD and have almost 3,000 miles on it and haven't had any issues with it. I loved the 1st Gen D I had and love this new one even more. Good luck with your purchase
Thanks M8!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
happyfirst
Professional

Okay well in all honesty I wouldn't make the mistake of buying anything brand new. I would always buy used and at least a couple years old so those problems could have been worked out.
There is no mistake in buying something new. It's all about money and priorities. IMO, it's that simple. If you won the lottery tomorrow, I really really doubt you would continue to buy used cars anymore. Think of everything else you buy new. And buying used has it's own different trade-offs, especially with cars. How do you know the previous owner didn't take care of the car? Or lied about oil change? Or ragged on the car? Ragged on the transmission? Was in an accident that carfax didn't catch?

Everything has trade offs. The biggest trade-off to buying new is well, obviously the money. But also come peace of mind knowing it's yours, what's been done to it, and of course, a full length warranty, and the latest tech.

Depending on how old the used car is that one gets, well, the trade off is uncertainity and more outdated tech, in exchange of course, for the extra money you get to keep in your pocket

Now to buy/lease new, and keep buying/leasing new every three-four years, that's crazy. Ouch. I usually buy new and try to keep at least 7-8 years. Although I'm over 13 years with my own car (that I bought new).

Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
happyfirst
Professional

Originally Posted by OrlandoDurango
I have been contemplating a '12 purchase for a couple weeks (held back by very bad sales folks) and this is making me reconsider.
I would not let posts like this discourage you. We absolutely love our D. My family just loves it, kids too. The citadel is the nicest car we've ever owned and my prior cars were "luxury" volvos.

There are waaaaayyyy more happy D owners that don't even bother to post just for the sake to say they're happy, so you have to rely on the very few of us with no problems that do post about being happy.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't trying to be a "troll" by any means. And I am certainly not trying to say that Dodge not wanting to take a part out of a lot car is acceptable either. I'm just saying with new cars, comes new problems. Its a fact of life so you just have to deal with it. Technology is only technology and it does fail too.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
pharman

I wasn't trying to be a "troll" by any means. And I am certainly not trying to say that Dodge not wanting to take a part out of a lot car is acceptable either. I'm just saying with new cars, comes new problems. Its a fact of life so you just have to deal with it. Technology is only technology and it does fail too.
Excuse me for the misunderstanding and thanks for clarifying...I would have never assumed this was what you meant after reading your first two posts.

Anyway, like you said I "just have to deal with it," which I feel I am doing so quite well. I could be a real PIA for Chrysler, but I am giving them a chance to make things right.

Hey Orlando, the Lemon Law in Michigan is a bit more stringent than FL. It's either a total of 30 days of the vehicle being at the service center for a repair or if after a 4th attempt at repairing a recurring issue fails.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
JRRF
Captain

Let's see...new or used?
New: every part is brand new and you have a good shot at getting a car that won't need any repairs at all for 3-5 years. And while cars coming from the factory can have issues from day one, the dealers are supposed to do a pre-sale checkout, and factory warranty issues have dropped precipitously in the last 10 years.

Used: you get someone else's problem that they are getting rid of, and you are getting a car that is guaranteed to need repairs sooner than any new car (depending on how "used" your purchase is).
Buying new costs more, but you are definitely getting something for it.

Quick Reply: 172 milles on vehicle and Drive train PCM failure 2011