3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

172 milles on vehicle and Drive train PCM failure 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with that, but the cost of parts on new cars is stupid high, where as older cars are not. New cars also lose like 20% of their value as soon as they leave the lot also.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I agree with that, but the cost of parts on new cars is stupid high, where as older cars are not. New cars also lose like 20% of their value as soon as they leave the lot also.
True, if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy new for myself. Older vehicles tend to have more upgrades from the aftermarket available. I do like turning a wrench.....

Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
happyfirst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
For some parts, sure. But by the time you are paying for parts on what was once a new car, the car is many years old and the parts are not really that expensive anymore.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
happyfirst
Professional

Originally Posted by adukart
True, if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy new for myself. Older vehicles tend to have more upgrades from the aftermarket available. I do like turning a wrench.....
If I won, and I like turning wrenches too, it would just be on some new (or used or maybe even old classic?) performance car getting some new hot rod parts.

But would you really still want to turn the wrench on your wife's car? Your daughter's car? Really? Changing oil, rotors, calipers, etc, sure one saves money doing it themselves but would they still do it after winning the lottery? I find that hard to believe. Life's too short for that. I'd personally only would work on my own "fun", or "hobby" car.

Somebody else can deal with keeping the other cars running!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

No I still would do maintenance, I help friends and family do there's. Even though they can afford to have a shop do it, I still prefer to learn how things work....

Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
happyfirst
Professional

No I still would do maintenance, I help friends and family do there's. Even though they can afford to have a shop do it, I still prefer to learn how things work....
I am the exact same way. I love learning how things work, come apart and go back together. But not every single aspect. I've learned to do my own timing belt, even changed a clutch. And obviously all the brakes and routine maintenance stuff. But there comes a point where I'm not really learning anymore and that's the point where I'd love to just have somebody else do that stuff.

But the first time, I'd pay more if the dealer would let me work with the mechanic just so I can see everything and learn about it.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
pharman

Good thing I purchased when I did...big discount on my vehicle to offset that loss of 20% when I drove it off the lot!

Anyway, to my surprise the dealership called this afternoon to let me know the D was ready and I just drove it 20 miles home and no problems. Hopefully all is well the rest of way and we never have this issue again.

Thanks for all the responses fellas

Old 02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well keep us posted. Especially if anything new pops up.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
JRRF
Captain

If I won the lottery I'd be driving a Ferrari. And there are so many things to learn and figure out how they work in this world, that car maintenance would be the last thing I'd be doing.

Hmm...let's see, change the oil on my Ferrari, or go sailing on my 90 foot yacht today? :-)

Change the brakes on the wife's luxury SUV, or fly to my ski chalet for some action on the slopes? :-)

I'm being only slight facicious, but I think you get my point. I love to take things apart and put them back together, but given sufficient wealth, getting my hands greasy and banged up up inside my engine compartment would go way down the list. I'm perfectly capable of replacing plumbing as well, but at my age I now have enough money to pay someone else to lay on his back and get covered with wrank water, grime, and nasty smelling glue.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
happyfirst
Professional

Exactly!!!

Although, I really hope in my case if I had such good fortune, that I would avoid all temptation to go buy a ferrari

Quick Reply: 172 milles on vehicle and Drive train PCM failure 2011