3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

3M Paint Defender

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:20 PM
pjw1967
|
Veteran
Default 3M Paint Defender

Saw this advertised on a Mecum auction and looked for it on the Web. Found this link. Anyone tried it yet? I did a forum search but didn't find any threads. The front of my D is already chipped in numerous places. Looks like a good way to protect it, but it seems a bit involved....
http://3mauto.com/products/paint-defender/usage

Old 05-21-2013 | 10:01 AM
inyadreems
Veteran

I have only seen 1 review on a detailing forum and it was for the application process not durability or longetvity. Do a google search for reviews and videos.

Old 05-21-2013 | 11:03 AM
V for Victory
All Star

I'm thinking of getting some of this stuff and doing my rockers, rear bumper sides and front bumper.

Old 05-21-2013 | 01:27 PM
jeffsmachine
Rookie

The manufacturers description makes it sound like clear plasti-dip.
Goes on and peels off just like plasti-dip, and says if You put too many layers (more than 3 or 4 ) the clarity is not as clear.

Old 05-21-2013 | 02:13 PM
rrjjpp74
Rookie

Not a bad idea I know my lower front bumper took a beating from winter. I use to have the 3m clear bra on a few of my other cars.

Old 05-21-2013 | 04:16 PM
SlvrShrk
Professional

I think this looks pretty cool...may have to try it.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:22 PM
pjw1967
|
Veteran

In the TV ad, a guy was lifting it off to show that it could be done. The instructions are pretty specific in that you'd better do it right the first time. I may swing by the parts store to see what it costs.

Old 05-21-2013 | 06:26 PM
bluebastion
Professional

I bought and installed the 3m invisble shield kits. It is a precut stretchable clear film (kind of like the invisible shields you buy for smart devices). Covers the entire front end, A-pillars (adjacent the windshield), and R/T Rocker-side skirts.

This is a picture with it installed shortly after I purchased the vehicle last Oct:
Name:  2012-10-20081413.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  409.6 KB

Old 05-22-2013 | 09:29 AM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Originally Posted by bluebastion
I bought and installed the 3m invisble shield kits. It is a precut stretchable clear film (kind of like the invisible shields you buy for smart devices). Covers the entire front end, A-pillars (adjacent the windshield), and R/T Rocker-side skirts.

This is a picture with it installed shortly after I purchased the vehicle last Oct:
Blue, Where did you buy it and how much? From the picture looks like it went on nicely. Did you do it yourself??

Old 05-23-2013 | 07:14 PM
bluebastion
Professional

Yes, I did it myself. I actually had a "clear bra" on my previous vehicle I owned which I also purchased new. When it was time to trade it in for the D, the paint still looked like it was in the condition I bought it in. No fade or difference in color (5 years after purchase), and the clear bra was still looking clear and shiny.

You can find kits anywhere really. There are only about 3 different brands I would trust.... 3M, Venture Shield, and another one I can't remember. A buyer typically purchases from a dealer who has a machine that can cut the patterns out. Or you can go to an installer that carries a certain brand and will cut and install for you... but that can cost quite a bit of money. If you think you can install tint, you can install this stuff.

My contact is Bob Newton who owns his own business in California. He cut and shipped me the patterns. I installed. His email is: amcap2@gmail.com

Also, you can't tell (which is a good thing) that my wife's Dart Limited also has the clear bra installed as well.

Quick Reply: 3M Paint Defender