3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Low Oil !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS2RT weren't you saying in the past that sometimes you park on a slope?
If so oil does get back to the manifold and there is a spot for it to accumulate and eventually drain back to bottom end. If you do park on a slope occassionally this oil ends up getting combusted as it overflows the resevoir area and gets into intake runners. It has been 5K since your last change I believe you said and with some slope parking and spirited driving(the oil gets thrown down into intake runners) this is a possibility without a catch can. As for the oil reading at the bottom of stick it should be 1qt low at that point. I would do as you say and get the Mobil 1 out put in the penzoil Ultra(kind I use) and get a catch can since you will be testing your acceleration and brakes in the near future.
Keep an eye on it
STEVE

Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
SS2RT
Captain

Originally Posted by Fullslp
I can't find the thread but ya they were over 60 psi at idle/ light throttle and never really came down in the 40s 50s. Everyone threw every possibility under the sun at them, from oil viscosity to plugged oil valleys. In the end one guy stuck a small filter in line PCV and that seemed to lower oil consumption. Shouldn't be using that kind of oil with 7k miles IMO. The catch can could be your ticket. I'm going to watch mine like a hawk and we should all post on anything excessive. I see why your nervous with your old TBSS issue.
25 mile ride in to work today, 60-80mph consistent, some accelerations, very subtle and docile ride

Left the EVIC on oil pressure the whole ride..
52PSI almost the entire time
Believe I saw 54PSI for a brief min or two..

Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
SS2RT
Captain

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
SS2RT weren't you saying in the past that sometimes you park on a slope?
If so oil does get back to the manifold and there is a spot for it to accumulate and eventually drain back to bottom end. If you do park on a slope occassionally this oil ends up getting combusted as it overflows the resevoir area and gets into intake runners. It has been 5K since your last change I believe you said and with some slope parking and spirited driving(the oil gets thrown down into intake runners) this is a possibility without a catch can. As for the oil reading at the bottom of stick it should be 1qt low at that point. I would do as you say and get the Mobil 1 out put in the penzoil Ultra(kind I use) and get a catch can since you will be testing your acceleration and brakes in the near future.
Keep an eye on it
STEVE
Yes my driveway is sloped a bit, but my garage is level, so overnight she is straight but other times of day on many/most days shes parked on the slope for a few hours before I put her away for the night..

When I noticed I was on a slope checking oil,
I made it a point to check again later when parked flat and it was still way under the "fill/add" line, barely in the checkered area. Took Almost 2 quarts to top her off!!

Waiting for my pennzoil delivery, cant wait to change...

BT catch can?