3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Clearcoat scratch/scuff repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
SS2RT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat scratch/scuff repair

How hard, how good a chance of success and not just more damage?

Due to someones incompetence (lol) My DD was victim to a plastic garbage can accident, and She has a few light scratches, seems to be surface only, like just the clear.
Was basically just a "rub" or scuff not a big impact or hit

If I run my fingernail over it I can feel the line but its super thin and you can see its just clear that was damaged not really the black paint itself

Anyone have a safe, easy, repair method or product(s) that def work?

I havent tried any rubbing, compounds, or anything yet..
Want a good plan of attack...

Old 07-13-2013, 08:25 PM
FrankADavisJr
Professional

I am a detailing fanatic and have religiously detailed my vehicles weekly since the time that I used to do it for money in order to save for college when I was in high school. I've tried every product under the sun (Griots, Meguiars, Mothers, Zymol, Zaino, Chemical Guys, etc. etc. etc.)

This evening, I just noticed a scratch in my wife's Moro Blue Metallic Audi A4. A product I really like now is Chemical Guys All In One. But Griots All in One or Zaino All in One would also work. The key is they all have fine abrasives that get smaller and smaller the more you rub, plus a glaze to fill the scratches and diminish their visible impact of the scratch(es).

I would go here: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...gap_106_16.htm and order it up. I use a microfiber towel with firm finger pressure and both parallel and circular motion. Unless you dug down through the base coat into the primer (a different story altogether - you need to fill and wet sand) then I would start with a glaze/polish like CG AIO.

Good luck!
Frank

Last edited by FrankADavisJr; 07-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Scottina11heat
All Star

something u can try first that can be bought at most auto parts stores...walmart etc. is meguiers scratch X. Youll just need a microfiber towel and some elbow grease.

If that doesn't work....I really like the meguiers m105/205 combo with a DA buffer like a porter cable. But it sounds like the scratch x may work for u.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had success with scratchx in the past as well...good luck!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Originally Posted by SS2RT
How hard, how good a chance of success and not just more damage?

Due to someones incompetence (lol) My DD was victim to a plastic garbage can accident, and She has a few light scratches, seems to be surface only, like just the clear.
Was basically just a "rub" or scuff not a big impact or hit

If I run my fingernail over it I can feel the line but its super thin and you can see its just clear that was damaged not really the black paint itself

Anyone have a safe, easy, repair method or product(s) that def work?

I havent tried any rubbing, compounds, or anything yet..
Want a good plan of attack...
If you can't fix it or don't want to go at it alone. Stop by one day and we will work on it together.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 AM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

Meguier's ScratchX has never let me down. Just this past weekend it made quick work of a few paint scuffs on my Wrangler from a flourescent light that fell over onto it. Just took a little bit of elbow grease and all the scuffs are gone. There were a couple of small dings, but, hey, it's a 15 year old Wrangler, I'm OK with a few battle scars.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM
GizmoDurango
Veteran

Thanks for the tip guys. I think I'll pick up some scratch x from walmart too. I have a few light scratches from the past year to get rid of.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 AM
inyadreems
Veteran

Originally Posted by GizmoDurango
Thanks for the tip guys. I think I'll pick up some scratch x from walmart too. I have a few light scratches from the past year to get rid of.
Make sure to wash, then clay the area before using scratch x, use foam to apply and MF to remove. You might need to hit the area with some polish after scratch x, then top with a sealant or wax.

Quick Reply: Clearcoat scratch/scuff repair