3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Holy catch can

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh, would have been nice to get rid of anything that blew smoke out it's tailpipe in my life. hahahahahahaha

Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Well, thanks guys.

I had mentioned in another thread or maybe even thins one back when I bought the Durango, that I had someone from Chrysler Corporate here on the driveway about three weeks after buying it and he told me this is a known issue for Chrysler but they really have no way of fixing it other than the Flash that was being worked on at the time. That is when he offered to get me into a 14' at no cost and then things fell through when the dealership was trying to get me for $2500 more on the 14'. That is when I found out the 14's smoked also and decided to keep the 13'.

I think all I have left after going to the dealership this week or next for the oil change and checking what they can do, is go with the Lemon Law. Wish I did not have to but it is what it is.

I will take pictures of the Catch Can when getting the oil change for you all to see but in the end I have to deal with owning my Second Dodge/ Chrysler vehicle that is a lemon.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

Question does it still do the same thing if you are parked the other way?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by SteelR/TAZ
Question does it still do the same thing if you are parked the other way?
Not at all. I was parking the truck face in the entire time they were waiting for the flash and it never smoked once. It also has not smoked either at start-up or while running while parked level. Only when I back in down an incline.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Well, here it is. The oil in the can....lol

I was really concerned when the mechanic working on my D at the dealership knew nothing about the catch can. He did not know what it was for, where it was located or even how to open it to remove the oil. He was just going to do the oil change like every other vehicle he has worked on UNTIL I informed him that the dealership WAS to maintain it.

Not even the Service adviser I work with all the time knew. But, he did realize I was NOT going to touch it while in the dealer and took it upon himself to take the can off and all was good. Really scary how a mechanic knows nothing!

Anyways, it is doing it's job of keeping oil out of the breather box and NOT doing anything for the smoking issue. So, off to find a Lemon Law Attorney. I have no other way of stopping the smoking according to the dealer and I will not waste my time with Chrysler Corp anymore since they call this issue a known problem and it does nothing to the engine.

Guess getting a free truck is good for me but bad for Chrysler.

Attached Thumbnails Holy catch can-20140217_095007.jpg  
Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, how many miles to accumulate that much? mine arrives today and I will install it asap. The smoking issue would make me get a lawyer as well. Keep us posted.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:37 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Roughly 3600 miles total. I had it installed with 100 miles into the last oil change. Just think if I/ We did not have a can on these trucks and where all that oil goes.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
woblik
Veteran

Are you sure that startup smokr qualifies for lemon law? I have no idea

Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
Roughly 3600 miles total. I had it installed with 100 miles into the last oil change. Just think if I/ We did not have a can on these trucks and where all that oil goes.
That is insane. What did the kid changing it say?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

Originally Posted by woblik
Are you sure that startup smokr qualifies for lemon law? I have no idea
Yes. In my State they have three attempts to fix the issue if not it is a lemon.

Three unsuccessful repairs, one repair attempt of a serious safety defect, or the vehicle being out of service for at least 30 days qualify a vehicle as a lemon if any of these these happened within the first 18 months of ownership by the first owner or lessee.

To attempt resolution, you must provide written notice to the manufacturer. If the three unsuccessful repairs or 30 days have already passed before you give notice, the manufacturer gets one more chance to fix it within 15 days.

Using the Lemon Law to your advantage depends on a few things. To prove your case, first you must keep excellent records of both the problem and the repair attempts, not to mention any communications with the dealer or manufacturer.

If the manufacturer is not forthcoming with a refund or replacement, you will also have to file a lawsuit within the first 18 months, or contact the manufacturer and use their arbitration program. Some car manufacturers have their own programs, while others use third-party programs like that of the Better Business Bureau.

Originally Posted by Wash Man
That is insane. What did the kid changing it say?
Nothing. But unoffically the service tech said that it is concerning. He has three Hemi's and never had this issue. He along with the owner of the dealership have said I am the only 1 with this issue in the dealership. The guy they sent from Corporate last summer said I am in the 10% bracket of customers who have this issue after the new oil pan and flash.

Guess I am a special kinda of customer, as the Journey I had before the D was a lemon and this is why I have the D now. I traded a lemon for another lemon....Not going to Atlantic City anytime soon let me tell you.....lol

Quick Reply: Holy catch can