Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the smoke coming from?

Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detailsbyfrank
Yes. In my State they have three attempts to fix the issue if not it is a lemon. Three unsuccessful repairs, one repair attempt of a serious safety defect, or the vehicle being out of service for at least 30 days qualify a vehicle as a lemon if any of these these happened within the first 18 months of ownership by the first owner or lessee. To attempt resolution, you must provide written notice to the manufacturer. If the three unsuccessful repairs or 30 days have already passed before you give notice, the manufacturer gets one more chance to fix it within 15 days. Using the Lemon Law to your advantage depends on a few things. To prove your case, first you must keep excellent records of both the problem and the repair attempts, not to mention any communications with the dealer or manufacturer. If the manufacturer is not forthcoming with a refund or replacement, you will also have to file a lawsuit within the first 18 months, or contact the manufacturer and use their arbitration program. Some car manufacturers have their own programs, while others use third-party programs like that of the Better Business Bureau. Nothing. But unoffically the service tech said that it is concerning. He has three Hemi's and never had this issue. He along with the owner of the dealership have said I am the only 1 with this issue in the dealership. The guy they sent from Corporate last summer said I am in the 10% bracket of customers who have this issue after the new oil pan and flash. Guess I am a special kinda of customer, as the Journey I had before the D was a lemon and this is why I have the D now. I traded a lemon for another lemon....Not going to Atlantic City anytime soon let me tell you.....lol

Somewhere inside that block, some hung over machinist either a) forgot to drill some holes or b) drilled too many holes

Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 PM
SlvrSnake
Rookie

Are you talking about a puff of blue smoke at start up that goes away? Or is it lingering after it is running? Maybe I missed it in one of your earlier posts but I am not real sure what the smoke problem is exactly you are experiencing. So with that said I am not sure how severe this issue is you are describing.

If it is start up smoke and only happens when you back in into your driveway, I would try a little experiment if I were you to try and figure this out.

On level ground drain out some oil and put it right around the safe line. The oil pick up might be the issue or its getting into the oil galleys in a excessive amount which causes the blow by and smoke until it starts circulating around. It's is essentially the same thing that will happen if you way overfill an engine with oil. It will smoke like a mother.

Especially since you mention it is fine if you pull into the driveway in the other direction. Taking some oil out of the equation might help eliminate the problem when it is backed in and give you a place to look.

As far as the Lemon law thing, not sure how that will really pan out. You mention Chrysler already offered you a new vehicle at no cost but the dealer caused issues with price so you turned it down and kept what you had. Not sure if you addressed that with Chrysler at the time, if not, you should have. The dealers are not Chrysler, they are just a franchise selling product for profit.

How can you hold the manufacture accountable at that point if they offered you a new vehicle? Even at the $2,500 difference you mentioned, there is no way you could ever make a deal like that on a trade for a brand new vehicle.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 PM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

There is the nice big blue puff of smoke at start-up from cold, hot, normal running hard running. Then there is the smoking while parked on an incline. While it has been dampened down quite a bit from the oil pan and flash installed, it still smokes. Not all the time this winter so far but before it got cold it smoked every other time I had left it running cold start or hot for more than 10 mins. or while unloading my boat.

Both are unacceptable for a 50K vehicle Period.

The dealership has had this vehicle every which way but upside down. They have played with the oil levels and have other done things that I do not even know. The guy from Chrysler had them doing things to the truck back in the summer.

Chrysler knows all about it. They are the ones who told me it is a known problem and they consider it "normal". This was after the third attempt and the guy from Chrysler had no more options.

The person who came out to my home from Chrysler was a Regional Tech manger person who dealerships contacted to "fix their problems". He was the one who told me he would get me into the 14 for nothing and that is when it went down hill. Chrysler was giving me something like 5K in incentives including employee pricing. The dealer was saying they were not getting that total from Chrysler and the back and forth began. I finally said screw it since the dealer wanted more along the lines of 2K more out of my pocket for the 14. I looked at this and laughed since I was already under water from my trade (the Lemon) and was not trying to get a 900+ a month payment for rear race track lights and bigger radio screen etc...

Now, I will hold them accountable since I have emails and voice mails of everything. They even have internal messages and phones calls that I can use if need be. Believe me, I did this all by the books. I learned from suing Chevy about 7 years ago for a Malibu SS I bought that kept blowing ejectors every three months. I have all the paperwork and pictures and video to go with it all. The only thing missing is the paper I requested three times from the Regional person stating he was going to get me the vehicle for free. Wonder Why? roflmao

Last edited by detailsbyfrank; 02-19-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 PM
SlvrSnake
Rookie

Ok, that makes a ton more sense now. I am surprised they just did not replace the engine instead of continuing to prod around in the dark.

Also, from what you describe with the offer for a new one is much different from what was in the previous post I read and much more clear as to why you said screw it.

The smoke issue you just described is way out of the ordinary and you have every right to be pissed about that. Something is definitely wrong with that engine.

Good luck in getting a resolution to your liking. Sounds like you have done your due diligence in this matter from the get go.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 AM
detailsbyfrank
Professional

I asked back then about doing a engine swap but since the owner of the dealership had his personal Durango smoking and Chrysler considers it "normal", they were not willing.

I love how one person says free then it turns into a 2K mess.

Either way, I still LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my D and will continue to enjoy it. I just wish I knew about this site and the smoking issues before buying it.

Now if others have this continuing issue, we should get together and go after Chrysler with a class action lawsuit. Seeings how they know about it and consider it normal.

Just so you know, it was not "normal" when this first started out (the day after I bought the D) It became "normal" when the Regional tech had no more options left like I had said above.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Default finally installed

I like it but now these plastic yellow caps HAVE to go.....

Attached Thumbnails Holy catch can-catch-can.jpg   Holy catch can-yellow-cap.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Gqjeff
Veteran

hey that Volant looks familiar LOL

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by MIKEon22s
My first 1500 miles she used a full quart and then the next 2750 miles about 1/4 Qt
My 2011 used about the same, now though after 15K practically nothing.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by Wash Man
I like it but now these plastic yellow caps HAVE to go.....
Caught 3.5 ounces after 2,000 miles
hmmmmm

Quick Reply: Holy catch can