3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Exterior Mods Under $1K

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 04:50 PM
harv1234
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior Mods Under $1K

Love the truck but want to distinguish it a bit. I have MGP Caliper Covers but that's about all. Any affordable suggestions that aren't too punkish? Wish there were Hemi emblems available.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Gqjeff
Veteran

I have another of these avail.

It's flat black metal with double sided tape.
Name:  null_zps0936ba0e.png
Views: 116
Size:  205.6 KB

Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM running boards run $500-$700 plus one hour of labor. Pricey but a lot better looking than some of the aftermarket stuff.
Local sellers of aftermarket stuff would sell me the kits but wouldn't do the install because you supposedly have to remove the cladding running along the rocker panels. They said it was too hard to get off and on and didn't want to risk f-ing it up.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by harv1234
Love the truck but want to distinguish it a bit. I have MGP Caliper Covers but that's about all.
Those MGPs a DIY job? How long did it take? Degree of difficulty on a scale of 1-10 (1 being eqivalent to an oil change)?

Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 PM
hairless_ape
Rookie

I'll never understand why you guys buy those caliper covers. You can get a caliper paint kit (solvent for prep, paint & misc items) for under $20.

My suggestion...plasti dip all that chrome your Citadel is covered in. I hate large amounts of chrome - it's tacky.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 PM
CPW1265
Professional

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
I'll never understand why you guys buy those caliper covers. You can get a caliper paint kit (solvent for prep, paint & misc items) for under $20.

My suggestion...plasti dip all that chrome your Citadel is covered in. I hate large amounts of chrome - it's tacky.
Take a look at my profile pic and an older post. I had the chrome accents wrapped in a matte black vinyl. Matte black wheels are next

Old 11-16-2013, 12:01 AM
CMil527
Champion

caliper covers look cleaner than painting the factory calipers, but if you prefer paint by all means buy the paint kit for $20... too each his own!

Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 AM
fishandgrits
Veteran

I for one think the caliper covers look ricer. No different than stick on vents on fenders.

To be honest soo many people have bought caliper covers, srt rims that staying stock will actually set you apart. Hahahahahaha

How do you use your durango? Is it a street queen? What look are you going for? Luxury? Sport?

Old 11-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
I for one think the caliper covers look ricer. No different than stick on vents on fenders.

To be honest soo many people have bought caliper covers, srt rims that staying stock will actually set you apart. Hahahahahaha

How do you use your durango? Is it a street queen? What look are you going for? Luxury? Sport?
There is some truth to your observations but guys have been blinging up their rides since Henry rolled out the first Model T in 1908. Undoubtedly some guy in Sandusky painted his spokes red to set him off from the rest of the crowd and here we are today.
The nice thing about blinging the ride is that it is all subjective: different strokes for different folks. Coffee can exhausts make my sides hurt from laughter and "gold" plated 325/20/26s with spinner-rims on a DeVille are always good for an eyeroll.
The guys here are pretty conservative, really: rims, caliper covers, a little Plati-Dip, shark fin antennaes are all pretty tame IMHO. The mods are definately for the owner -- none of the stuff I've seen here will make non-car guys stop and gawk like like a true custom car would.
OTOH, I'm sure Brembo appreciates the free advertizing with every set of red caliper covers sold. So I'm thinking of doing my in zinc-chromate green or bright yellow. Just being different . . . :-)

Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

I personally like the look of the MGP's and it gives the D nice contrast against the black. Also another bonus was it was a cheap mod and I could do with leaving the wheels on. But like was said earlier, to each their own. Everyone also has had their own experiences with warranty issues and dealerships giving them grief when certain mods are done, so I'm more a cosmetic modder I guess. Also I dont have time to paint my tips that I have been planning for a month, let alone the calipers(not that I would).

Quick Reply: Exterior Mods Under $1K