3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Lockpick and Iphone 5S...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014 | 03:14 PM
fishandgrits
|
Veteran
Default Lockpick and Iphone 5S...what to do?

I am looking to have the following capabilities:

NAV entry while in Drive.
Ability to view the rear camera while in Drive.
Stream Netflix from my Iphone 5S.

I was notified by coastaltech that the new 5S does not have audio and video outputs due to the new lightning cable.

Has anyone been able to achieve the capabilities above with a lockpick and Iphone 5S or by any other means? Your input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2014 | 08:46 AM
fishandgrits
|
Veteran

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I am interested to see what others have done. I still have my original Ipad with the old style plug, maybe I just run everything through it?

Stinks because my Ipad mini with retna display has the lightning plug as well

Old 01-10-2014 | 01:30 PM
jsawhite
Rookie

I have a NAV-TV and it gives me the backup-cam (with the ability to turn on manually), has a second camera input, VES emulation, DVD/NAV in motion, and a video input you should be able to use with your phone (more on that in a sec). I have only used the backup camera and DVD in motion... The other features are there, but I've not tested... On the 5s/lightning cable... As I understand it, there is a video out, but it's no longer analog. It's an HDMI output (I've seen the converters at BestBuy). You'd have to get a HDMI to RCA converter (on a quick search, like the link below, just select the HDMI_to_AV option) and use that to feed the device... Have no idea how the quality would be, but it should work in theory...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-RCA-to-HDMI-Video-AV-CVBS-Adapter-Converter-Scaler-720p-1080p-For-HDTV-DVD-/291049359790?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&var=&hash=item43c3e4c9ae

Last edited by jsawhite; 01-10-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2014 | 01:33 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The nav-tv unit ^ is good stuff!
Steve

Old 01-10-2014 | 02:19 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Yup thats the info I passed along to Ron as I do the same with my Galaxy and lockpick. Good thing about it is I can see everything on the screen. Acutally turned on "Derek" on Netlfix this morning and watched it for 15 minutes when waiting on a fender bender to clear. Love the lockpick !!!!

He wanted info on the Iphone 5 s if anyone had a better way so he wouldnt have to add another purchase for the converter etc to his lockpick purchase.

Old 01-10-2014 | 02:33 PM
fishandgrits
|
Veteran

Good Info! In regards to the NAV-TV. What item are you using on their site?

http://www.navtv.com/

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2014 | 02:55 PM
fishandgrits
|
Veteran

So I will need a/v out of the lockpick to a/v to HDMI converter, then HDMI to lightning adapter to the phone. I think I got it. lol

I think I am going to purchase the HDMI to lightning cable adapter and run it to my TV at the house as whatever I see on it is what I should see on my screen. Hopefully this works similiar to SLAINTE's set up and I see everything. I guess the only thing is the signal will be analog now.

I am still very interested to know which product is being used by NAV-TV so more input on that would be great! Thanks!

Last edited by fishandgrits; 01-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2014 | 12:56 PM
jsawhite
Rookie

Sorry, took the kids to Universal studios yesterday, so didn't see this until this morning... Here's what I bought from Nav-tv:

ALLGIG-XG-HS (actual device)
ALLGIG AV CABLE (cable giving AV in/out)
Camera 5 (with parking lines)

I will say, however, if you purchase the camera 5, I'd skip the ones with the parking lines. I like the lines, however, it (annoyingly) always flashes the bold, red word "STOP" at the base of the image. I'd hoped it was a proximity thing, but when I asked them, it apparently is a 'feature' and there is no way to keep it from blinking.

Good idea on testing the lightning to HDMI cable first. I've never used it on my 5s. The wife has a 4s and I've used the old 30 pin AV cable on the TV. worked well. No idea on the new one...

Quick Reply: Lockpick and Iphone 5S...what to do?