3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Help with exhaust mod guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:35 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exhaust mod guys

Hey guys, arleady asked a few of you over PM, but looking to give the D a little more growl than it already has and wanted to get the groups input. Went to a shop and they recommended just replacing the two mufflers at rear for $275 installed, also would add in 4in tips, painted matte black for another $100. The D is already a beast just want to give it more growl but not end up with any terrible droning consequences because of it and also keep the cost at a minium. Also as a side note few questions.

1 - I have a 2012 R/T, is the exisiting exhaust Aluminum or Stainless

2 - If I went with replacing the mufflers, is there s specific model I should make sure and get and are they all standard stainless with magnaflow.

From research I have heard flow master a little too loud and may cuase more droning at highway speeds so was recommended to not go near it.

Cheers Fella's!!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Magnaflow Mufflers will have a nice throaty sound once broken in and yes your system is stainless. Keep in mind the mufflers will be shiny stainless its a different grade of stainless than the existing pipes but wont cause any issues and they tuck up under body.
Leave the tips chrome Finny the rest of the D is Blacked out it will give a little contrast
STEVE

Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Yeah probably right on the Tips Steve, she is blacked out enough. What about the mufflers, is there a model # or anything special I would need to make sure they are to be sure I am getting what I am paying for etc.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

No clue but they will probably get ones that mimic the shape of existing so they dont mess up tip location
Sounds like they know what they are doing.
Do get me teh part numbers they use though
STEVE

Old 01-28-2014, 09:36 AM
fishandgrits
Veteran

I look at the suitcase as the muffler and the rear units as the resonators....not mufflers.

I have run a few options through my head for this set up:

1. X pipe to two 14" Magnaflows to some nice 4" tips, no resonators.
2. Magnaflow tru x muffler DI/DO straight to tips, no resonators.
3. X pipe to gibson set up
4. Two 14" Magnaflows straight out to tips, no resonators.

Hopefully after the 1st part of March I will have it worked out. Been really busy lately. lol

If you get yours done before mine, please let me know where you went. I have spoken to three shops in Jax and they are all morons.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Went to www.autorepairjax.com/ (muffler city)‎ on sunbeam road from a recommendation, but just didnt get a good feeling from the guy there. Only other place I went was S n S customs on beach blvd, this is where I was thinking of going, but not sure yet either. He looked under my truck and said it was aluminum, hence I asked on here.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

Is our exhaust piping 2.5 inches? I plan on adding these, I had these on my BMW .. and I loved them.

here is what they looked like on my bmw.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Originally Posted by SLAINTE06
Went to www.autorepairjax.com/ (muffler city)‎ on sunbeam road from a recommendation, but just didnt get a good feeling from the guy there. Only other place I went was S n S customs on beach blvd, this is where I was thinking of going, but not sure yet either. He looked under my truck and said it was aluminum, hence I asked on here.

Yeah, muffler city on Sunbeam was one of the places I went. They wanted to rip out my stainless set up and go all aluminum. I told them I wanted to keep as much of the stainless as possible and even offered to bring the stainless in with me to replace what I am removing. They had no clue. I had to laugh! lol

I told them thanks, and walked out. The other issue is nobody has a mandrel bender so......I think the best route is a prefabbed x pipe and then remove the rear resonators and replace with mufflers of choice with tips. Keep as much stainless as possible! Buy a Magnaflow X pipe and 2 offset mufflers with tips and have them weld it in. Done. P.S you gotta watch these lame shops around here, if they can't identify stainless from aluminum, they will probably try to weld stainless to aluminum if you piece a system together and will use the incorrect method of welding the two together. Heads up!

Last edited by fishandgrits; 01-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:28 AM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black tips for sure Finny...glad to see wifey is letting you get some rumble on your rango!!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:31 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Originally Posted by CMil527
Black tips for sure Finny...glad to see wifey is letting you get some rumble on your rango!!

Eh...haven't broke the news yet . But the kids are in the Tank Sequoia 95% of the time and she knows these days that the D is my 4th baby, so nothing surprises here these days when it comes to my obsession with the black beauty.

Quick Reply: Help with exhaust mod guys