3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

reusing satellite antenna for 2M radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 AM
jcims
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reusing satellite antenna for 2M radio?

Hi folks,

Just bought an '11 and don't use the satellite radio. I got my ham license not too long ago and am wondering if i can repurpose that antenna and feedline run for a 2M antenna. I read somewhere it's also used for GPS, which would obviously be an issue but I'm a bit skeptical that is the case.

Thoughts?

Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by jcims
Hi folks,

Just bought an '11 and don't use the satellite radio. I got my ham license not too long ago and am wondering if i can repurpose that antenna and feedline run for a 2M antenna. I read somewhere it's also used for GPS, which would obviously be an issue but I'm a bit skeptical that is the case.

Thoughts?
No, it would not handle transmit, and is not made for 2M. If you tried it, it would probably blow out the transmitter. Been thinking about this myself, just upgraded to general. When I had a van, I punched a hole in the roof and installed a low profile Diamond dual band SMA mount antenna which just barely cleared my garage door. The Durango sits higher, so clearance would be an issue. A trunk mount on the hood would look out of place and could be distracting. Could do a hitch mount but the lift gate would be an issue. Not sure about the loss in a glass mount. No real good options.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Sorry, between the unknown coax impedance and an antenna tuned to 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz, there is no chance of that working at all. Not only would it act as a dummy load for receive and transmit, it would also likely blow the finals in your rig.

I used a 3/4" hole-saw to drill a hole about two or three inches forward of the GPS antenna and installed a Larsen Motorola-style NMO mount. With an NMO you have a huge selection of antennae to suit your needs. I use a dual band (2m-440) shorty (19") antenna most of the time for clearance and a 5/8" wave based loaded antenna when going on a trip.

Nothing compares to a permanent mount antenna on the roof. I've been a ham over 50 years, used almost every conceivable antenna mounts and configurations. The plain old 19" whip on an NMO mount on the roof is hard to beat!

Jack
WA2OLZ

Last edited by daedalus-nj; 04-13-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:30 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by daedalus-nj
Sorry, between the unknown coax impedance and an antenna tuned to 2.3GHz to 2.5GHz, there is no chance of that working at all. Not only would it act as a dummy load for receive and transmit, it would also likely blow the finals in your rig.

I used a 3/4" hole-saw to drill a hole about two or three inches forward of the GPS antenna and installed a Larsen Motorola-style NMO mount. With an NMO you have a huge selection of antennae to suit your needs. I use a dual band (2m-440) shorty (19") antenna most of the time for clearance and a 5/8" wave based loaded antenna when going on a trip.

Nothing compares to a permanent mount antenna on the roof. I've been a ham over 50 years, used almost every conceivable antenna mounts and configurations. The plain old 19" whip on an NMO mount on the roof is hard to beat!

Jack
WA2OLZ
Don't know why I said SMA, meant NMO. Along with the mount, be sure to buy a protective cap for when you have the antenna off.

If anyone decides to install a hole mount of any type, be sure to use a sheet metal punch. A hole saw will make a real mess of it. Also may consider installing the mount near a dome light so you can gain access without taking the headliner down - but be sure to pay attention to clearance between the mount and the light.

Last edited by bbtkd; 04-13-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 AM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Don't know why I said SMA, meant NMO. Along with the mount, be sure to buy a protective cap for when you have the antenna off.

If anyone decides to install a hole mount of any type, be sure to use a sheet metal punch. A hole saw will make a real mess of it. Also may consider installing the mount near a dome light so you can gain access without taking the headliner down - but be sure to pay attention to clearance between the mount and the light.

I should have suggested a punch, as bbtkd said. It produces a really nice clean hole with no flying metal shavings. I actually used a hole-saw on my last install and it was OK, but it was also brand new and sharp.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM
jcims

Awesome suggestions, thanks guys! I've had my license for a year now but feel like I'm on day one because i haven't really been able to talk to folks yet (no base rig, just a mobile Yaesu 2m/75cm and handheld Baofeng on same)

Jack, where did you snake the feedline through the headliner? Just forward along the top towards the front or did you go down to the side and up through the floor/underneath?

I may do a hitch mount first just to see if this is something i'm going to stick with. I know i'm going to be suffering a bit on signal but it's a lot easier to undo, lol.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Cover the hole saw bit in vaseline and all metal shavings will stick to it and not go flying
STEVE

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Cover the hole saw bit in vaseline and all metal shavings will stick to it and not go flying
STEVE
Wouldn't that ignite?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

No never has when I have used it on various drill bits where I dont want all the filings or chips flying all over
STEVE

Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 PM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
STEVE
Great suggestion! I always put w-i-d-e making tape all around the hole site and that, plus a strong but small magnet collects most of the chips, but Vaseline would sure help.

Coax routing: From the NMO mount ~three inches forward of satellite antenna -> across headliner to passenger side column next to the hatch -> down the column (inside) to the floor (under the compartment in the rear) -> through floor/door trim to the desired mounting spot. It sounds a lot more difficult than it is. No more than fifteen minutes start to finish, including cleanup.

The underfloor area in the far back works great for my scanner. A remote head below the HVAC controls completes that system. My VHF/UHF rig is under the center row of seats, also with the remote head under the HVAC controls. I placed the rig there since I was a bit worried about the lack of flow-through ventilation in the far back compartment and resultant heat.

Quick Reply: reusing satellite antenna for 2M radio?