3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM
macatowa
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

Anyone lose an alternator yet? mine went @ 88,000 miles on a 2011 Durango Express V-6. Seems kinda soon for a failure don't you think.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macatowa
Anyone lose an alternator yet? mine went @ 88,000 miles on a 2011 Durango Express V-6. Seems kinda soon for a failure don't you think.
88k is too soon, does it fall under drive train since the motor can't run without it?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 AM
macatowa
Rookie

nope.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
GDM
Professional
Default Alternator

A friend of mine has a '11 Durango with a V6 and had his alternator go out when on a trip. Cost him in the neighborhood of $850 to fix. He has 60,000 miles on his ride. We bought our Durangos new about the same time so have been comparing. I asked if he would buy one again and he said no. I on the other hand at this point and with 49,000 miles would buy again, despite my power steering unit leaking just out of warranty and Dodge covered all but $200.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM
zaktrafton
Professional

How would an alternator not fall under powertrain??

Old 04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by zaktrafton
How would an alternator not fall under powertrain??
Beats me, it is bolted to the engine and the engine needs it to work

I would like to see Dodge Cares chime in on this subject

Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
GDM
Professional

Below is the wording directly from Dodge's site on what is covered on the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Alternators would not appear to be covered.

Engine
The Cylinder block and all internal parts of gasoline engines, including the intake and exhaust manifolds, the oil and water pump and the supercharger, and covered under your Powertain Limited Warranty+.

Transmission
The transmission case and all internal parts, including the torque coverter, pressure and speed sensors and the transmission range switch, and covered under your Powertain Limited Warranty+.

Drive Systems
The different drive systems and internal parts, including front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive and four-wheel drive, are covered under your Powertain Limited Warranty+.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM
steve82
Angry Highly Disappointed!!!

We were in Yellowstone with no cell service a week ago and our battery light illuminated. The owners manual said to service the vehicle immediately. We continued to drive until things started to act funny. Examples: heat from air vents, service park assist came on message center, air bag light then the power steering stopped working, windshield wipers started to move and then the engine shut off. We were able to pull off into a safe pull off area in the park. A friendly motor home group came over and tried to jump my Durango. After letting it charge a few minutes I approached the front of the car and found the alternator was smoking horrendously. We doused it with water bottles and kept the fire extinguisher near just in case. The car has multiple components that need replaced and are covered under the Maxcare. However, we had to leave the car in Wyoming due to having to go back to work and the vehicle is not fixed. To this day the Durnago is still not fixed due to waiting on parts. I believe Dodge should ship my car back to me after it has been fixed. I mean really the car only has 46,000 miles. It is hard for me to trust the vehicle that almost caught on fire.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Claus Graf
Rookie
Default Alternator

My 2012 Durango battery light came on (@50k miles) while my wife was driving in Florida. She turned off the a/c, lights, etc to avoid draining the battery and drove for about an hour and a half to Gainesville Chrysler Dodge Jeep (3000 N Main St, 32609). The service at the dealer was excellent and she was on the road again 3 hours later with a new alternator and $820 less money in the bank.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by Wash Man
Beats me, it is bolted to the engine and the engine needs it to work I would like to see Dodge Cares chime in on this subject

I still would like to get DODGE CARES thoughts on why something that the engine can NOT run without is not covered under drivetrain warranty

Quick Reply: Alternator