3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Not a fan of chrome? Check it out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Whiteout08
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a fan of chrome? Check it out...

After being told quite a few times that the chrome on our vehicles "can't" be removed, I took it upon myself yesterday to prove this theory wrong. With a razor blade and a lot of patience, the "chrome" peels right off and leaves a perfect ABS plastic finish underneath.

Attachment 24089

Attachment 24090

Attachment 24091

I sanded the ABS with 400 just too smooth it out a bit after taking off the chrome, now it's time for some filler primer, sealer, then paint to match body color.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by Whiteout08; 05-17-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Nice Job
All Chrome parts nowadays are Chromed plastic.
STEVE

Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Whiteout08
Professional

I know, it's pretty sad...marketing features of "chrome" are misleading, until you tap on the part and realize it's just plastic. Thankfully these parts are ABS underneath so there isn't a need for adhesion promoter before painting.

Next up is the grille, hoping it's just as easy.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whiteout08
I know, it's pretty sad...marketing features of "chrome" are misleading, until you tap on the part and realize it's just plastic. Thankfully these parts are ABS underneath so there isn't a need for adhesion promoter before painting. Next up is the grille, hoping it's just as easy.
Why not just use plasti dip on top of the chrome? Then you can always have the option to go back to it?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

This method will look better than plastic dip.
The reason they went with this chrome over plastic is so it doesn't rust.
STEVE

Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Whiteout08
Professional

In all honesty, I have never liked the idea of using Plasti-Dip. I never paint anything with the idea of "possibly" going back to the original design. This way, I know I've got a nice clean surface to paint on... being able to use filler primer and sand it smooth is my assurance it'll turn out right.

To me, Plasti-Dip is for those who are too afraid to tackle painting properly. With real paint, you've got the option of using whatever color you want, especially when it comes to factory paint codes vs just plain old black (or the other few colors Plasti-Dip makes).

Old 05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plasti-Dip is for those who are too afraid to tackle painting properly

True, but it sure is easy and looks great on my badges

Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Whiteout08
Professional

OK, fair enough...on badges I see this as a viable solution since the level of detail in sanding and masking can be quite tedious and may not turn out right with standard paints. Not to mention, typically you're not color matching badges, just adding variation.

I am by no means knocking Plasti-Dip, it's a widely used product that offers great results...just not my cup of tea.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:11 PM
woblik
Veteran

Plastdip is also for people who changed their minds frequently. I plastidipped my wheels, tails, and badges last summer. Just peeled it all off two weeks ago. Glad I didnt rattle can those as i grew tired of the dark gray wheels and tails.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:20 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by Whiteout08
OK, fair enough...on badges I see this as a viable solution since the level of detail in sanding and masking can be quite tedious and may not turn out right with standard paints. Not to mention, typically you're not color matching badges, just adding variation.

I am by no means knocking Plasti-Dip, it's a widely used product that offers great results...just not my cup of tea.

Not to knock you.. I always go prep and paint.. But a large portion of the guys "LEASE" there vehicles and dipping is a rad solution for getting that custom look with back to stock results on a 36 month trade up.

Quick Reply: Not a fan of chrome? Check it out...