3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Goodbye suitcase, hello H-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
NJMoparDad
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the right part. Check Rock Auto. They had to add a small amount of pipe to both sides as its part of the dynomqx exhaust and not a direct replacement for the suitcase. No bending.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Crankshaft57
Rookie

Has anyone tried towing a trailer etc., etc. with the "H-Pipe" mod. If so what was the drone like ??

Old 02-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No drone pulling my boat that I can remember but I don't think I paid much attention. It would make spence that you would have your foot in it and have more downshift exhaust when towing though. And I don't pull mine that far. Like I said I didn't notice it if it was there...

Old 02-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Rammajama
Rookie

Originally Posted by NJMoparDad
I'm new to Durango's. I've had Tam's most of my life and just bought a 2011 R/T because we now have 3 kids. Does the suitcase delete / H pipe add do anything positive or negative toward performance? I know the ram 1500 hemi's lose power with most muffler changes and most guys use mag aglow because there's no noticeable power loss. Have you noticed anything?
Ive had the the stock muffler cut out and replaced with a 14" Magnaflow, leaving the resonators on, in 2 of my late model 1500s. It sounded incredible with better throttle response, slightly better MPGs and defintely NO power loss.

Id love to hear these sound clips. I couldnt with the links provided.

From what I'm reading, this mod is still quiet at idle. However, I do like and appreciate a rumble at idle. But the problem I have is the raspy sound of most aftermarket and custom systems. Thats why I liked just changing out the muffler in my 1500s. It was smooth yet burly sounding without a hint of obnoxious exhaust farts. LOL!

Last edited by Rammajama; 02-08-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Akfinest
Rookie
Unhappy Too loud for my taste

I took my Durango to a local muffler shop and replaced the suitcases mufflers with strait pipes. I left the rear mufflers alone. I took the suitcases mufflers and stored them in my garage

It was extremely loud and annoying on long trips.

After approximately 1 month later I ended up going back to the muffler shop and re-installed the suitcases.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:59 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Akfinest
I took my Durango to a local muffler shop and replaced the suitcases mufflers with strait pipes. I left the rear mufflers alone. I took the suitcases mufflers and stored them in my garage

It was extremely loud and annoying on long trips.

After approximately 1 month later I ended up going back to the muffler shop and re-installed the suitcases.
Seriously ?
Just when I'm convinced to do a Mod, I read a post like this that stops me dead in my tracks.
I'm all about Highway miles w/ my commute.....I thought it was 100% no drone, no additional noise unless your on the throttle ?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plasmageorge
.....I thought it was 100% no drone, no additional noise unless your on the throttle ?

This is correct. I don't understand the post, he says he had multiple suitcase mufflers? There is only 1.

There a only sound under throttle. As others that have done this mod have attested to. But the beauty of this is that it is cheap and if you don't like it you can put the suitcase back on.

But you will and you won't

Old 02-22-2015, 09:35 AM
NJMoparDad
Amateur

His post makes no sense. To each his own, but it's as tame as you can get unless you stay stock. I have a four month old daughter. My wife couldn't really tell I changed it unless I stomp on the gas and the baby sleeps through it. It's not loud. It seems like he removed the suitcSe and both resonators since he's saying he had multiple.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:22 PM
unxpctd

Wonder if he had the actual 2 mufflers taken out and not the "suitcase" muffler (which is a single unit.

He says he left the rear mufflers alone... Wierd. I'm looking at exhaust mods myself and 95% of my mileage will be highway miles....iPod jamming with no kids...so I should be ok even with a bit of drone.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Akfinest
Rookie
Default Correction

Sorry, did not explain Post#75 correctly. I used the word "suitcases" instead of "suitcase".

My R/T has a single "suitcase". The performance muffler shop did not do the "H" set up. They installed two short pipes to replace the "suitcase".

Perhaps with the "H" pipe set up, you get a better exhaust sounding system.

BTW, I installed a "H" pipe in my C-5 Vette a few years ago after installing a LAPD Exhaust Mufflers system and experiencing "backfire rumble" when decelerating. The H pipe set up in the VETTE took care of the problem.

It's just my opinion, man... Don't flame me...

Last edited by Akfinest; 02-24-2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Goodbye suitcase, hello H-Pipe