3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 AM
mike2014rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t

I just picked up my new 2014 r/t on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning as I'm driving it starts popping and shaking and stalls. I'm able to get it back on but the popping and shaking is still there. I make it to the dealership - service tells me it's a broken rocker arm and bent intake push-rod. Full details are in the attached image. I'm no car expert, but I would expect to not have engine problems after driving it for 50 miles. Obviously I'm frustrated - I'm looking for thoughts on how big of an issue this is. I've asked for a replacement from Chrystler and they are getting back to me. It was fixed and I've driven it for a day. Since I didn't even have time to get used to the vehicle I don't know what sounds are normal and what I should worry about. There is definitely a popping noise still, very faint. It could just be the hemi's normal sound. After driving it for a day (country driving) it only averaged 13mpg which is below the low end of the ratings. I don't know what possible side effects from a damaged engine could be. Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated. I was very excited about the purchase and love the looks/features of the vehicle but obviously have been turned off by the experience.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow sorry to hear! Were you just redlining it for an hour, why the heck did all that get damaged on a brand new engine? I would have demanded a whole new vehicle if that damage isnt your fault.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:24 PM
mike2014rt

All we did after picking up the car was drive the vehicle to a restaurant across the street from the dealer, then home. A bit later I took the wife for a 15 mile drive since she hadn't been in it yet. In the morning, I dropped the kids off at school and was heading to the DMV to return plates when the damage happened. I requested a new vehicle from the dealer who said they couldn't do anything but told me to call Chrysler. I called Chysler and requested the new vehicle. They took my info, called the dealer to get more info, and said they'd escalate the issue and get back to me. No word back yet. I don't think asking for a new vehicle is too much to ask for given the situation.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

I had a friend have a issue with a RAM truck with a hemi's transmission driving it on the way home. They offered the 7/100k warranty for free. He was without truck for 4 weeks due to no tranni's available and they made his first payment.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:23 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by mike2014rt
...There is definitely a popping noise still, very faint.... it only averaged 13mpg which is below the low end of the ratings.
All of the modern Hemis have the "Hemi tick" which may or may not show up until after break-in so if yours is not a tick, then not normal Your MPG is going to be dependent upon a lot of things such as time idling, acceleration rate, speed, start/stop - and your mileage will be low until engin break-in - typically by 10k miles. Lastly, engine failures happen, but not sure why you think that it entitles you to a replacement. If you have multiple service calls for the same or related problems, then I'd expect a lemon law replacement. But just one instance which they fixed?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All we did after picking up the car was drive the vehicle to a restaurant across the street from the dealer, then home. A bit later I took the wife for a 15 mile drive since she hadn't been in it yet. In the morning, I dropped the kids off at school and was heading to the DMV to return plates when the damage happened. I requested a new vehicle from the dealer who said they couldn't do anything but told me to call Chrysler. I called Chysler and requested the new vehicle. They took my info, called the dealer to get more info, and said they'd escalate the issue and get back to me. No word back yet. I don't think asking for a new vehicle is too much to ask for given the situation.
Asking for a new vehicle is not too much to ask, this should be very embarrising for Chrysler.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up my new 2014 r/t on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning as I'm driving it starts popping and shaking and stalls. I'm able to get it back on but the popping and shaking is still there. I make it to the dealership - service tells me it's a broken rocker arm and bent intake push-rod. Full details are in the attached image. I'm no car expert, but I would expect to not have engine problems after driving it for 50 miles. Obviously I'm frustrated - I'm looking for thoughts on how big of an issue this is. I've asked for a replacement from Chrystler and they are getting back to me. It was fixed and I've driven it for a day. Since I didn't even have time to get used to the vehicle I don't know what sounds are normal and what I should worry about. There is definitely a popping noise still, very faint. It could just be the hemi's normal sound. After driving it for a day (country driving) it only averaged 13mpg which is below the low end of the ratings. I don't know what possible side effects from a damaged engine could be. Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated. I was very excited about the purchase and love the looks/features of the vehicle but obviously have been turned off by the experience.

Heck yeah, I would have asked for a new one. At the very least demand a unlimited mileage warranty on the affected parts of the engine at no charge

Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 PM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

Good luck, my guess is they will offer you an extended warranty.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:21 PM
mike2014rt

I purchased the lifetime max care warranty with the new vehicle. I know all vehicles have the potential to have problems - but I'll never know what is the normal sounds/quirks/etc of the vehicle are - so many issues could be non-related but could easily be caused by a poor performing engine due to minor damage.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:55 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

I am constantly amazed at the 'entitlement mentality' of so many folks. New vehicles have warranties for just this kind of occurrence - something wrong from the factory. The damage reported is not fatal by any means if properly repaired - and it is easy to repair. The dealer - and Chrysler who paid for the repair - did what they promised to do in their contract with the OP. The OP is certainly NOT entitled to a new vehicle if the repair was done correctly. That seems to be the case.

Trying to judge the mph of a vehicle with ~100 miles on the clock is ridiculous, it will get better with break-in (and it won't take 10,000 miles!). The OP needs to exercise patience and maturity. S**t happens. Get over it.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t