3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 07:46 AM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Counter back with extended warranty at least ...

Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I see the Problem...IRONMAN IS MISSING

Old 11-12-2014, 12:59 PM
mike2014rt

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
Lucky you, I just happen to have a transcript of one of those phone calls:
lol! That's about how I pictured it when he told me that. Regardless, I think I've hit a dead end. For those who know engines - what sort of things should I be looking out for? What collateral damage could a broken rocker arm and bent push rod do?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:08 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Who knows ...bent valve, scratched cylinder wall. damaged cam
Mainly scrap pieces maybe in motor.
I guess go for 1 payment and lifetime MAX CARE Warranty
STEVE

Old 11-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Fullslp
Captain

^^^^^ what Steve said. It's very likely that you will have no further issues since the damage was caught early. However, small particles could cause loss of compression over a long period of time along with other issues. Get the warranty and change your oil AGAIN within a couple hundred miles.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 PM
mike2014rt

I obviously can't tell if there was additional damage. I specifically asked the repair tech about scrap pieces getting in the motor and damage to the cylinder and he said everything looked good. I obviously can't confirm - so if there were damage like you say what would be the effects? Should I be listening for something? Looking for an oil leak? Low gas mileage? What symptoms would I see?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Any obvious knock of course but everything else will be well hidden. Just drive it and enjoy it. If your really worried have a compression test done now and another in 5-10k miles and compare. that will reveal any unseen damage and the vehicle will be low enough in mileage to get something back out of it as well as connect future damage to your current repair. It is what it is. Get the warranty and don't lose any sleep.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike2014rt
Should I be listening for something? Looking for an oil leak? Low gas mileage? What symptoms would I see?

If I were my problem, here's what I'd do:
1. If the dealer's techs have given you the green light then continue to drive it (assuming there are no obvious problems, i.e. noise, smoke tec.) until the next scheduled filter/oil change.

2. Prior to the scheduled oil change drive out to the local airport. In General Aviation aircraft (up to 12,000 pounds) engine oil is often analyzed at each oil change to look for mental shavings in the oil. Small pieces of metal are good indicators of engine damage and potential failure. Go to your local airport and talk to the techs. They have containers (3-4 ozs.) for the oil and addresses of firms that do the analysis. The analysis takes a couple of days and the company will list ALL of the metal it finds. Maybe the airport techs could offer suggestions on getting a sample before you take it into the dealer for service.

3. Install a magnetic drain plug so in the future you can check for any "late-arriving" stray bits of ferrous metal (i.e. iron etc.) in the oil. If the drain plug is clean you're probably in the clear.

Quick Reply: Engine trouble on brand new 2014 r/t