3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hypertech ?, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, but back OT.

I'd love to hear from Owners that HAD the Hypertech, and moved on or upgraded to another.
Why ?
Was it worth it ?
Seems the HyperTech can be had for $250....that seems like a quick ROI MPGwise...... while enjoying the increase in Hp along the way.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:47 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The Hypertech worked great when I had it. The only reason I changed to a Diablo was that I wanted more adjustability and individual tuneability.
When you add an exhaust, CAI, Throttle Body You can get a lot more from those Mods by using a TUNER.
I think the Hypertech is a Great purchase but it has its limitations
STEVE

Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Fullslp
Captain

^^^^ exactly as Steve put it. Some guys said the initial increase in power fell off after a while and others like myself still enjoy the Hypertech. My thought process on this is the pcm during extended heat soak episodes is learning to back way off on the advanced timing that the interceptor throws at it rendering it less powerful over time. The throttle response is still there but the added power isn't as strong. I religiously use my scanner and see the same timing advance as day 1 with the hypertech. My "theory" is that my lower temp thermostat and constant use of AC in traffic is preventing me from heat soak and therefore the pcm never reaches the threshold on temp to pull timing in the first place. I never run over 205 degrees. So for me in the family ride with *******ly no mods it works perfect and feels as strong as the day I installed it. As a bonus I had an no start/ no power issue and pulled the entire hypertech out in 3 min before the tow truck arrived for warranty work. I had zero power as a reverse jump start by some moron tow truck driver blew my TIPM so if I had the Diablo there was no way I was removing a tune. My experience bro

Old 12-21-2014, 10:05 AM
plasmageorge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fullslp
^^^^ exactly as Steve put it. Some guys said the initial increase in power fell off after a while and others like myself still enjoy the Hypertech. My thought process on this is the pcm during extended heat soak episodes is learning to back way off on the advanced timing that the interceptor throws at it rendering it less powerful over time. The throttle response is still there but the added power isn't as strong. I religiously use my scanner and see the same timing advance as day 1 with the hypertech. My "theory" is that my lower temp thermostat and constant use of AC in traffic is preventing me from heat soak and therefore the pcm never reaches the threshold on temp to pull timing in the first place. I never run over 205 degrees. So for me in the family ride with *******ly no mods it works perfect and feels as strong as the day I installed it. As a bonus I had an no start/ no power issue and pulled the entire hypertech out in 3 min before the tow truck arrived for warranty work. I had zero power as a reverse jump start by some moron tow truck driver blew my TIPM so if I had the Diablo there was no way I was removing a tune. My experience bro
Excellent reply guys, Fullsip, I just bought the exact same 2013 Durango, black/black R/T. $32k w/ 23k miles.
What's the word you typed that was blocked out?...."******ly"

Interesting, I keep hearing about the Hemi constantly learning and adjusting....almost like it takes all the Mods and adjust the engine back to stock.
I guess that's extreme but is there some truth to it ?...especially if HyperTech doesn't have the adjustability or customization of the Diablo of other Tuners ?
Hypertech may be the choice for me, not sure how many other mods.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Fullslp
Captain

"*******ly" no mods. Stupid iPhone. If your not familiar, all tunes including the stock programming have "targets". The pcm is always trying to bring every field it can control into a targeted field. For example, if your engine is running at 205 degrees in second gear with an intake temp of 96 degrees and map sensor reporting 36grams per second at 2500 rpm and the 02 sensor reading 6percent rich with the throttle at 45% open. The pcm will calculate engine load and request a particular fuel trim on the map table. (This is a primitive example as the pcm is referencing many other sensors) A tune changes that table so that the computer applies another fuel/ timing amount. Or in other words you give it a new target. Diablo does just that but the hypertech only manipulates the major sensor readings to trick the pcm into choosing a more advantages fuel and spark trim. It works as the stock pcm is thinking that it has fulfilled its targeting strategies. It has limitations as it only uses 3 sensors to manipulate.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Fullslp
Captain

Wow did it again. "Essentially" but with a "v"

Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 PM
MIKEon22s
Captain

The Hypertech is a nice mod and no footprint. The Diablo really does wake it up and the tunes from hemifever do wonders over stock.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 PM
MotorMolarDoc
Amateur
Default Hypertech working well for my 2014 R/T

I've had the Interceptor on my 2014 R/T for a couple of weeks, and it is working fantastically for me. No issues at all, and the seat of the pants feel is worth it. Much better acceleration and just sounds and feels more responsive in general. I have no idea what the dyno would show, but it is more fun to drive. I have the Volant CAI, but have left the exhaust stock. However, the combo of the CAI and the Interceptor have made the exhaust note better too in my opinion.

Since there is still the misconception out there that it doesn't work for the 2014's, I wanted to add this to the thread. Hope it helps.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didn't work in 14's. Maybe they got it fixed.... What to you do with the Eco button?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:20 PM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wash Man
It didn't work in 14's. Maybe they got it fixed.... What to you do with the Eco button?
i think i read somewhere that the latest flash from the dealer will have Eco button memory

Quick Reply: Hypertech ?, need opinions