3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

30K mile service on '14 Durango, AWD transfer case service

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 PM
humyz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30K mile service on '14 Durango, AWD transfer case service

Took my DD to the dealer for an oil change and a few other things. They recommended 3 services:

1) power steering fluid service $165
2) brake fluid service $165
3) AWD/transfer case fluid service $450

Are you guys doing these services? I think I can trust a cheaper shop the do the 1st two, but the 3rd one seems like I should stick with the pros.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by humyz
Took my DD to the dealer for an oil change and a few other things. They recommended 3 services:

Are you guys doing these services? I think I can trust a cheaper shop the do the 1st two, but the 3rd one seems like I should stick with the pros.
What does the manual/manufacturer say?

Not needed, that's what.

Page 162

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MDX2DWTY3BgP3g

Transfer case fluid inspection, but not change. Change comes at 120,000. Not at 30k. As for brake fluid and power steering, no, not even listed. And that makes sense because neither of those should need changing unless there is contamination or leakage.

Last edited by mcfarl58; 04-13-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Hi to a different dealership. Those guys are ********.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 PM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

humyz,
Because brake fluid is hydroscopic, most recommend to flush/replace the brake fluid when new brakes are installed.
There is nothing about power steering fluid service in the owners manual and the transfer case and transmission fluids are scheduled for 120K miles. Now there is "Inspect transfer case fluid" at 30K, but $450 is a ripoff.
By the way, since you have a Hemi, did they state to perform spark plug replacement? My 2013 manual states spark plug replacement at 30K miles regardless of time passed.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Dealer will always try to upsell. Your owners manual maintenance schedule is your greatest advocate.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:33 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

NO...NO....and NO

PS flush is shameful. Brake fluid is especially shameful. Run far from that dealer.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:38 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDCREW
humyz,
Because brake fluid is hydroscopic, most recommend to flush/replace the brake fluid when new brakes are installed.
There is nothing about power steering fluid service in the owners manual and the transfer case and transmission fluids are scheduled for 120K miles. Now there is "Inspect transfer case fluid" at 30K, but $450 is a ripoff.
By the way, since you have a Hemi, did they state to perform spark plug replacement? My 2013 manual states spark plug replacement at 30K miles regardless of time passed.
Depends on the year of the Durango. In 2014, spark plug changes went to 100,000 miles with a hemi. Also, transmission fluid changes were removed as well because the ZF system is a closed system. Time will tell on these transmissions, but I will probably get a fluid and filter change at 100k to be safe. Owners manual says no need though.

As for brake fluid normal brake jobs (pads and rotor replacement) don't need brake fluid flushing. Only if you remove the brake lines for some reason (caliper replacement for instance) would a brake fluid flush be recommended.

In any event, this dealer is taking the op to the cleaners.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM
oharag
Rookie

At 30K this seems too soon??? Maybe 50K.

I've bought all the fluids myself using best prices through AutoZone/Advanced Auto and handed them to my local shop who had no problem using them and performing the service. I believe as long as you keep records (oil receipts if you perform your own oil changes) etc... you should be fine.

Jerry

Old 04-16-2016, 09:43 PM
humyz
Professional

I did not get the services done, they said the fluids were a little dirty but not necessary to change after they looked at it. I have lifetime max-care, so I will stick to the manual

Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I did not get the services done, they said the fluids were a little dirty but not necessary to change after they looked at it. I have lifetime max-care, so I will stick to the manual
Good choice.

Quick Reply: 30K mile service on '14 Durango, AWD transfer case service