3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:59 PM
ArchieIce
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a call from my dealer, they said Dodge gave them the green light to put in a new transmission.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:25 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Improvement or placebo effect or ????

Since it seems that the whole issue has to be programming and how the transmission is learning and adapting over time, I decided to try an experiment. I've been saying for a while that when I paddle shift, the shifts are smooth. I've read posts about transmission learning that got me to thinking about ways to get the transmission to learn some smoother shifting habits.

As an experiment, I drove for a couple days where anytime I was decelerating to a stop (say, from 40mph or higher) I'd just tap the paddle once and let the transmission downshift the rest of the way on its own (which it does as your speed drops). Perfectly smooth, as expected. The downshift points are a little lower than if I was in "D" but no big deal.

The interesting thing I noticed is that when I'm driving in "D" now, the downshifts seem significantly improved. There are still some that are just as rough as before, but there seem to be plenty where I would expect it to be rough but it's not bad enough to complain about. Time will tell how this pans out, whether it learns its rough shifting again.

Or I could just experiencing the placebo effect. Or I could have adjusted my driving habits to minimize the conditions that result in rough shifting.

I'll let you know.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:05 AM
thkbaron

yeah my 2015 with 28000 miles on it has the same problem. Is there any actual lasting affect for anyone? And the big question is, has anyone's transmission actually failed because of it?

Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM
SUVdriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Durango with the exact same downshifting problems. The dealer keeps telling me nothing is wrong. I use to have a 2011 that didn’t have the same problem. Did anyone find an update or anything that fixed the issue? Thanks

Old 06-06-2019, 11:32 PM
mnunes
Amateur

I wouldn't let them tell you there's nothing wrong. There definitely IS something wrong.

I read a post (elsewhere) about a TSB (technical service bulletin) that came out in March 2019 regarding rough downshifts. TSB 21-013-19. I took my Durango in this morning for an oil change and confirmed that the TSB does apply to my 2015 Durango 5.7 HEMI so they're going to apply it and see if anything improves. The service writer is also going to involve the regional manager and said he's going to reach out to corporate as well.

You might also try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to clear the adaptives. After a day of driving it did significantly improve shifting for me, but it wasn't a real fix and I'm sure the harsh shifting would return before too long. Hopefully the TSB and whatever else they decide to do fixes it this time. Stay tuned....

Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 PM
thkbaron

Originally Posted by mnunes
I wouldn't let them tell you there's nothing wrong. There definitely IS something wrong.

I read a post (elsewhere) about a TSB (technical service bulletin) that came out in March 2019 regarding rough downshifts. TSB 21-013-19. I took my Durango in this morning for an oil change and confirmed that the TSB does apply to my 2015 Durango 5.7 HEMI so they're going to apply it and see if anything improves. The service writer is also going to involve the regional manager and said he's going to reach out to corporate as well.

You might also try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to clear the adaptives. After a day of driving it did significantly improve shifting for me, but it wasn't a real fix and I'm sure the harsh shifting would return before too long. Hopefully the TSB and whatever else they decide to do fixes it this time. Stay tuned....

Any luck on the shifting? I"m bringing mine in July 1st to see what they can do. I'd love a new tranny but it really seems that the transmission itself isn't the issue....

Old 06-15-2019, 05:07 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Here's my latest update. Had the DD at the dealer for the last week after hearing that TSB 21-013-19 might be a fix. The TSB was issued 3/13/2019 so it's not too old.
Service order results show this:
Customer states transmission is not shifting correctly, also shifts very harsh, perform TSB 21-013-19 first and then advise

TCM not up to date. Need to reprogram module with latest software and test drive.

Updated TCM module to latest software per TSB 21-013-19 P#68249346AE/AF
LOP 18-19-05-LH .2 Test drove vehicle. Shifting became worse. Reset adaptives and performed quicklearn. Shifting was still harsh during 5-4 downshift. Performed ETC Learn and found Star Case S1421000017. Performed drive learn adaptation procedure TSB 21-030-14. Drove vehicle 20 miles. Set counters above 2 vehicle shifts are good. No further concerns found.
I just picked it up last night and only drove about 10 miles so far and it seems fine.k

Take-aways from this so far, IF it is a true fix:
1 - the service and tech were able to reproduce my problem. Service writer acknowledged that he's seen this quite a bit
2 - this is a software problem. Replacing hardware (TCM, PCM, valve body, entire transmission, etc.) might be required if anything got damaged due to extended periods of harsh shifting, but the FIX is software.
3 - unclear what specifically is in TSB 21-013-19 since I can't find it on the interwebs, but there is a TCM update since 12/26/18 when they indicated no TCM or PCM software available for me.
4 - there is a Star Case S1421000017 that relates to this issue
5 - after the TCM is updated, they need to do a drive learn adaptation, which was issued as a TSB back in 2014. This might not be standard procedure after doing a TCM flash.

I'll continue to give long term updates.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:20 PM
thkbaron

Just got ours back from the dealer. They did a reflash and told me wife it's an adaptive transmission. No ****. I showed them this thread. I'm going to try and get my 54 bucks back and call chrysler. There's no way that rough downshift on 5 to 4 is normal...... Not like I really care since I have a warranty but still.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 PM
mnunes
Amateur

Originally Posted by thkbaron
Just got ours back from the dealer. They did a reflash and told me wife it's an adaptive transmission. No ****. I showed them this thread. I'm going to try and get my 54 bucks back and call chrysler. There's no way that rough downshift on 5 to 4 is normal...... Not like I really care since I have a warranty but still.
If/when you call Chrysler, be sure to mention the Star Case S1421000017. The reflash on its own seems to be insufficient. They also need to do the drive learn adaptation referenced in TSB 21-030-14. If the dealer didn't do that, it seems unlikely (to me) that the problem would be fixed.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:19 PM
thkbaron

Shifts perfect as of now

The following users liked this post:
mnunes (07-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Jolting on downshifting : 5>4 and 2>1