3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

T36 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Didn't they also have an offer of reimbursement if you had already had it repaired? Given your future plans, think I would be real tempted to just replace the alternator with an aftermarket unit, and then see what happens.
Yes they have been very clear on that point - that if I pay to fix it I will be reimbursed. In the interest of safety and in the interest of not taking out my TIPM, I may have to do just that - but since when is that even remotely acceptable? Mopar and electronics man...pissing people off since 1991.

I guess in a way I'm hoping the replacement parts Mopar comes out with are of a superior design and therefore will eliminate this concern for at least another 100,000 miles or so. Otherwise why the delay?

Old 09-28-2017, 03:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

If you fix it yourself, parts will be available the follow day..... If you wait, it'll be another month or more. Just the way these things work.

Will the recall cover your TIPM should the alt fail, and take it out? If not, I would fix it, and file for reimbursement...... Not the best solution, but, may end up with the best results......

Old 09-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Will the recall cover your TIPM should the alt fail, and take it out?
Dodge has hinted at that but VERY non-committal. You and I know darn well there's no way anyone is getting a TIPM replaced for free without a lawsuit and the jumping through of enough hoops to reach from here to China.

The safe bet is paying for a new alternator. I can replace it in my driveway in an hour. I'm just indignant as a consumer and feel like since this recall was announced two months ago (and probably known about well before that) that we should be getting these trucks repaired by now.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Prospect62
Dodge has hinted at that but VERY non-committal. You and I know darn well there's no way anyone is getting a TIPM replaced for free without a lawsuit and the jumping through of enough hoops to reach from here to China.

The safe bet is paying for a new alternator. I can replace it in my driveway in an hour. I'm just indignant as a consumer and feel like since this recall was announced two months ago (and probably known about well before that) that we should be getting these trucks repaired by now.
And I would agree with you..... But, it's dodge, a corporate entity, that doesn't understand, or, just doesn't care, what problems they are causing their customers...... There is a REASON all three need a bailout back in 09......

Old 09-28-2017, 07:49 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Vendors are reluctant to get it stuck in their @sses and broken off again. I know this is not the old Chrysler, but the NEW Chrysler......... a bigger bunch of way dirtier $hitheads than the Daimler/Cerberus group ever was. Customer service is a real pain in the @ss to accomplish these days, especially when you're cut off at the knees or threatened with a chargeback every way you turn.

Of course I'm referring to top tier $hitheads, not the regular folks trying to make a living.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-28-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Still waiting on FCA to get moving on this recall.

Something made a funny squeak this cold morning when I started it...I'm betting dollars to donuts it's alternator bearings. Truck will be out of warranty next week. My biggest gripe with this whole thing is that I have to wait on pins and needles TO GET STRANDED with a bad alternator (and probably a dead battery) and then PAY TO FIX THESE THINGS and then wait over a month for them to reimburse me.

I simply am stunned that this recall repair is taking this long to get started. Stunned.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:18 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospect62
Still waiting on FCA to get moving on this recall.

Something made a funny squeak this cold morning when I started it...I'm betting dollars to donuts it's alternator bearings. Truck will be out of warranty next week. My biggest gripe with this whole thing is that I have to wait on pins and needles TO GET STRANDED with a bad alternator (and probably a dead battery) and then PAY TO FIX THESE THINGS and then wait over a month for them to reimburse me.

I simply am stunned that this recall repair is taking this long to get started. Stunned.
Be aware for your own safety though. If it sparks really bad trying to jump it off, just stop trying. You'll melt your cables or booster battery, possibly even smoke the electrical system.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Just seems insane that we all just have to wait. I'd much rather have a new off-the-shelf replacement alternator put in right now under this recall than...

1) Pay for what I know is a defective design out of my pocket to replace my current alternator and wait over a month to be reimbursed

2) Not do anything and have the vehicle die in traffic endangering my life or leave me stranded on the roadside in the cold

If you want my opinion, they ought to be replacing alternators like crazy right now with whatever new alternators that work and then when they come up with a new, non-defective design, we should all get those for free as well.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:45 AM
coryb700
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Canada - T36 support

2011 Durango Crew with 51k on the odometer. Brake booster fails, replace at my cost, send in receipts etc. as requested by case manager and re-imbursement denied with no reason given other than "does not qualify". Now TICM module is fried by defective alternator which was diagnosed by local repair facility (Chrysler Canada competitor) and same response from Chrysler + "no parts available for current recall" Anyone else frustrated? Any success in being re-imbursed for out of pocket $$$$ for known recall issues when your vehicle fails on the roadside no where close to a Chrysler dealer?

Old 11-17-2017, 11:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by coryb700
2011 Durango Crew with 51k on the odometer. Brake booster fails, replace at my cost, send in receipts etc. as requested by case manager and re-imbursement denied with no reason given other than "does not qualify". Now TICM module is fried by defective alternator which was diagnosed by local repair facility (Chrysler Canada competitor) and same response from Chrysler + "no parts available for current recall" Anyone else frustrated? Any success in being re-imbursed for out of pocket $$$$ for known recall issues when your vehicle fails on the roadside no where close to a Chrysler dealer?
Chrysler has really been dragging their feet on this one.... and I have seen far too many cases a lot like yours. I would think that this would be grounds for a class action lawsuit.