3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

T36 Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Couldn't have it more wrong. fca flat rate warranty system (GOOGLE IT) takes money out of techs paycheque every week.

I've read the recall notices,maybe a little bit more than you. I am posting my opinion.

if you really think there is no battery reserve, then unplug the field coil feed (GOOGLE IT) ....amazingly the vehicle still drives. the alternator can be out of the vehicle, on fire, smashed...no change.

Have not seen a fire, charging system failure, stall to date. I see these everyday. You read about them on the internet. Doesn't mean the potential isn't there....statistics, outliers i have posted. This is not commonplace.
IF IT WAS AS BAD AS YOU IMPLY, THERE WOULD BE A NO DRIVE MANDATE....LIKE FORD IS DOING WITH THEIR RANGERS RIGHT NOW.

Your a backyarder. I'm the guy who fixes it after you work on it. Everyone can cook...don't get to thinking your a professional chef.

Last edited by primem; 02-20-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 AM
jimdurt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

primem you sir are rude and incapable of helpful responses. You suggested earlier to me to drive my Durango even though the alternator failed. Not possible without replacing the PCM, alternator and probably battery now. I agree that most instances, there is a reserve of power for a limited time as long as nothing is damaged. But according to Dodge, that is not 100% the case as they are warning that it may stall unexpectedly. The alternator is not the only component damaged in all instances.
I didn't want to spend my own money on an alternator to only have to have the recall fixed later when parts became available. I had 2 different Dodge reps tell me different answers. One said, if I buy the"other" available alternator, my recall would be considered complete. The other rep said I would still need to bring the vehicle in to have the new alternator installed when it became available.

I received my letter today so I'm gonna get mine towed to the dealer and wait and see if they are willing to repair my PCM as well.

Now that parts are available, primem, you can get back to work and apply your endless knowledge of auto repair to the next recall that is looming. But please keep your opinion to yourself, because it's not needed or wanted here.

Have a good day sir.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:23 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More Chapstick?

Originally Posted by primem
Couldn't have it more wrong. fca flat rate warranty system (GOOGLE IT) takes money out of techs paycheque every week.

I've read the recall notices,maybe a little bit more than you. I am posting my opinion.

if you really think there is no battery reserve, then unplug the field coil feed (GOOGLE IT) ....amazingly the vehicle still drives. the alternator can be out of the vehicle, on fire, smashed...no change.

Have not seen a fire, charging system failure, stall to date. I see these everyday. You read about them on the internet. Doesn't mean the potential isn't there....statistics, outliers i have posted. This is not commonplace.
IF IT WAS AS BAD AS YOU IMPLY, THERE WOULD BE A NO DRIVE MANDATE....LIKE FORD IS DOING WITH THEIR RANGERS RIGHT NOW.

Your a backyarder. I'm the guy who fixes it after you work on it. Everyone can cook...don't get to thinking your a professional chef.
Like I said already, I hope FCA is sending you free cases of "CHAPSTICK".
Because nobody (CEO or Engineer) likes to have dry chapped lips kissing their.....

PUCKER UP!

Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM
Prospect62
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primem

Well that's a fact. God knows I have had to rely on the professionals more than once. But you also belong to one of the most made fun of and distrusted group of individuals in existence (dealership techs) because of years of lying and cheating to make money with no regard for the hardship of "dumb" customers who clearly did something wrong because God knows the vehicles are 100% perfect from the factory. Google THAT. Everyone hates you guys. Everyone.

I guess I'll let everyone who reads this thread be the judge of who's "more right" in this argument. I don't do internet fights.

Just happy the new alternators are in and I won't have to worry about being stranded when I travel. Happy wrenching.

Last edited by Prospect62; 02-21-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Unhappy

hurt feelings report
jim dirt...show me the ro where your alternator, pcm and battery were replaced due to this recall and i will personally apologize to you and never post on this forum again.

Last edited by primem; 02-21-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:22 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

god damn guys, this was an unnecessary exchange on so many levels.

are we done? if it continues im locking this thread down (which would be a shame before this recall is completed)

p.s. i got my t36 notice last night that parts are available for my challenger, i will be waiting until the weather is warmed up and the salt off the roads before taking it in, but at least they are ready before the steady warm weather is in.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
god damn guys, this was an unnecessary exchange on so many levels.

are we done? if it continues im locking this thread down (which would be a shame before this recall is completed)

p.s. i got my t36 notice last night that parts are available for my challenger, i will be waiting until the weather is warmed up and the salt off the roads before taking it in, but at least they are ready before the steady warm weather is in.
He started it!

Old 02-26-2018, 02:34 PM
Prospect62
Professional

Well I'm pretty miffed. I went in today to have mine done, low and behold, just like I was afraid would happen...they told me my alternator is the "updated" version (it's the original alternator guys) and that no replacement was necessary. OK if you say so...if this thing dies on me I'm going back and throwing the alternator through the f*cking window of the dealership.

I would REALLY, REALLY like to hear from an FCA tech or FCA themselves - someone, anyone who can tell me what sets my 2011 alternator apart from another "prone to failure" alternator. The service manager at my dealer had no idea, just said they check the part # and if it corresponds with certain numbers I don't get a new alternator.

I KNEW this would happen. Damn thing better last me another 40,000 miles or it's gonna be a projectile.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:34 AM
jimdurt

Will mine was replaced along with the PCM. Battery wasn't so prime you can stay on the forum I guess. Just stop thinking you know everything about the problem. You will learn more if you listen.

Sorry to hear that prospect.

Good luck to everyone.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM
GDM
Professional
Angry

Taking mine in next week...will post outcome.

Last edited by GDM; 02-27-2018 at 07:42 AM.