3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Smelly heater air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 11:08 AM
James Eiden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelly heater air conditioning

Does anybody know what the professional fixes the smelly heater and air-conditioning I spray stuff in there like for breeze and Lysol and it’s good for about two weeks and then it comes back

Old 12-14-2019, 12:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by James Eiden
Does anybody know what the professional fixes the smelly heater and air-conditioning I spray stuff in there like for breeze and Lysol and it’s good for about two weeks and then it comes back

There is a foam cleaner you have to drill a small hole and spray nto the plenum to coat the heater core and a/c expansion coil. If your problem isn't a dirty core, it won't work. If the car is owned, or was owned, by a smoker, this usually goes away in thw winter and comes back in the summer as mold and mildew grows on the smoke residue. The heater dries it out. If on the other hand, you have rodents or their leaving, you'll have to clean it as best you can. One thing to do before you take the dash apart is check and see if you have a cabin air filter. Those can hols stuff and really stink car up. I got a Ford Taurus once that was the first I've had with a filter. Once I got a new one and pulled the old one out, I found the problem. The new filter weighed a few ounces, the old one a couple of pounds.

As for the foam cleaner, I think it was called Frigiclean by BG Industries, but it's been years so I may be mistaken.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:39 PM
James Eiden
Default Video for drilling hole

Originally Posted by ol' grouch;346306Do you know of a video5
There is a foam cleaner you have to drill a small hole and spray nto the plenum to coat the heater core and a/c expansion coil. If your problem isn't a dirty core, it won't work. If the car is owned, or was owned, by a smoker, this usually goes away in thw winter and comes back in the summer as mold and mildew grows on the smoke residue. The heater dries it out. If on the other hand, you have rodents or their leaving, you'll have to clean it as best you can. One thing to do before you take the dash apart is check and see if you have a cabin air filter. Those can hols stuff and really stink car up. I got a Ford Taurus once that was the first I've had with a filter. Once I got a new one and pulled the old one out, I found the problem. The new filter weighed a few ounces, the old one a couple of pounds.

As for the foam cleaner, I think it was called Frigiclean by BG Industries, but it's been years so I may be mistaken.
Do you know of a video on how or where to drill that hole

Old 12-14-2019, 01:40 PM
James Eiden

Do you know video where or how to drill that hole in the plan them to inject the foam

Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by James Eiden
Do you know video where or how to drill that hole in the plan them to inject the foam

This is the only one I could find. It's a different procedure than I've done but looks like it may work. When I drilled holes, I knew EXACTLY were everything was. This is more forgiving.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:08 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

As mentioned above, start by checking the cabin air filter. The BG Industries product referred to above was FrigiFresh. I'm not sure if it's still available.

Also, make sure the drain for the evaporator is open before doing these methods. If the drain is plugged, the moisture/liquid/cleaner has no where to go and may explain why your attempts thus far have not been lasting solutions.

-Rod

Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
As mentioned above, start by checking the cabin air filter. The BG Industries product referred to above was FrigiFresh. I'm not sure if it's still available.

Also, make sure the drain for the evaporator is open before doing these methods. If the drain is plugged, the moisture/liquid/cleaner has no where to go and may explain why your attempts thus far have not been lasting solutions.

-Rod

I believe you're right. It's been 15 years or more since I needed to use it. Forgetting to mention keeping the drain open was a case of cranial flatulence on my part.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:38 PM
vipergg
Rookie

I agree with one of the other people , if you have never changed the cabin filter behind the glovebox you will be disgusted how bad it is after even 4 years . Just recently found my cheapo Grand Caravan had one and at 4 years it was just filthy and disgusting . When you pull it out you could spray some lysol in there and that may help .

Quick Reply: Smelly heater air conditioning