View Poll Results: What CAI do you have or recommend?
K & N
35.66%
Air Raid
11.21%
AEM
3.64%
Mopar
5.24%
Volant
8.59%
Afe
4.66%
True Flow
1.02%
S & B
2.18%
Ram Hammer
1.31%
home made
16.45%
ebay or other (specify in a post)
10.04%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2015, 09:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cats are removing what the sensors are looking for, the computer could be trying to
"adjust" something when it doesn't really need to, possibly causing you to lose power...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might as well just put the filter on the intake and get rid of all that restrictive pipe. That is not a CAI. CAI gets its air from fender well or head light hole.. if the filter is under the hood not seperated from the engine bay it is not CAI.. What does your Super chip say the AIT is on that setup.. ?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

You are right, but the oxygen sensors before and after sure do..
and since you removed the cat now the rear sensor is not differant than the front the correct amount so now your truck is running in limp mode trying to get you home to fix the problem... it will throw a code and run worse..

Originally Posted by looka
Cats are there to remove carbon emissions from your exhaust. I'm not required to have them therefore I don't want them. I don't agree that cats effect whether or not your truck runs lean or rich.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Its hopless to keep trying to explain to him that the o2 sensors are set up to be used with the Cat.

Look if you want to keep running your truck the way it is, fine so be it.
If you would like to keep the Cats off and regain all the HP/TRQ that you lost..... buy a custom tune. Then you can be as happy as you want with no Cats and a smooth better running truck.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:45 PM
looka
Banned

Originally Posted by Plainbroke
You are right, but the oxygen sensors before and after sure do..
and since you removed the cat now the rear sensor is not differant than the front the correct amount so now your truck is running in limp mode trying to get you home to fix the problem... it will throw a code and run worse..
My truck hasn't thrown any codes, nor is it in limp mode. But thanks for your response. My concern was that I lost some torque, not a lot, but some. However, I think some of that may be due to a loss of backpressure because I removed the more restrictive exhaust components.

I do have a custom Superchips tune and that has brought back most of the hp and torque that I lost. But I still feel like I'm bogging a bit. By the way, my gas mileage has not suffered at all. Which makes me think it's not running lean or rich.

Also, I think what Plainbroke said applies as well. I don't have my CAI setup so that it is taking in sufficient cold air. Which is why I will be going back to the stock filter box with a drop-in K&N.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All we're saying is you're losing torque because you have no cats. Simple. If you want the torque back than put back in some high flow cats. It's really not that hard to understand.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 AM
looka
Banned

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
All we're saying is you're losing torque because you have no cats.
I disagree. But thanks for the responses.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by looka
I disagree. But thanks for the responses.
I have to admit that I have next to no experience with running dynos or anything with exhaust systems, so I have no personal experience to fall back on on this subject. I've been doing some research and reading though as I want to redo my exhaust system sometime in the next year or so hopefully. Most everything i've read seems to back up what these guys have been saying relating performance to cats and whatnot. Do you have a reason why you disagree? I didn't see anything specific that you stated, just that you don't agree. If you have some evidence i'd love to hear it, maybe I can learn something. Like I said, im no expert on the subject, if there is something you can share to expand my knowledge id be all ears. Not trying to be confrontational at all, just trying to learn something.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:35 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Hes not an expert so dont worry Ewing, hes got it figured out yall leave him alone

Old 09-30-2012, 02:21 PM
looka
Banned

Originally Posted by ewing111
Not trying to be confrontational at all, just trying to learn something.
As I stated earlier, I believe my loss of torque is due to a loss of back pressure. While cats do create back pressure in the system, so do all other exhaust components(mufflers, y-pipes, etc.) I know there are some that believe in the concept of back pressure and some that don't.

So the solution for me, being as I don't live in a state that requires cats, is to put on a more restrictive muffler that creates more back pressure. I could also install new headers, which I'm not going to do right now, but that would definitely improve the exhaust flow.

Also, this morning I rigged my new CAI with a drop in K&N and I can already feel the torque increase. With a new muffler I'll be right where I want to be. So yeah, my issue had absolutely nothing to do with cats specifically.

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes