Diablo Information and Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is we have partial up shifts, no partial down shifts.

Redtruck, you started with sc right? switched to dsp? have you switched back? from everything thing i have found out so far the dsp will allow for a much better tune since it is customizable. Does the sc just have that much better of a "stock" tune that you don't need to customize it? I haven't had any issues with my dsp. I really haven't done much with it yet though other than the stock tunes as i am trying to learn about what i am doing before jumping into making changes. I have been some what on the fence between the two as I don't plan on doing much more than bolt on changes since i am building my ram to be more offroad than street race performance.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xtremekramer
My understanding is we have partial up shifts, no partial down shifts.

Redtruck, you started with sc right? switched to dsp? have you switched back? from everything thing i have found out so far the dsp will allow for a much better tune since it is customizable. Does the sc just have that much better of a "stock" tune that you don't need to customize it? I haven't had any issues with my dsp. I really haven't done much with it yet though other than the stock tunes as i am trying to learn about what i am doing before jumping into making changes. I have been some what on the fence between the two as I don't plan on doing much more than bolt on changes since i am building my ram to be more offroad than street race performance.
No, I haven't gone back to SC. I want a custom tune and will try to use the DSP to install the custom tune. My 03 has only limited support from SC, but still the can tunes are good and the rev limiter can be moved along with the speed restricter. If I had it to do over I would have stayed with the SC until I needed the custom tune instead of jumping the gun.
I posted on the Diablo support forum and asked which of the CROM revisions would best support my 03 model and got this reply from Diablo, quote:"The tunes have not changed from crom to crom, so it should not matter either way." end quote. This sounds just plain wrong, WTF are the revisions for? Repair patches????

Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Redtruck,

So when you say custom tune, what are you going to get with the DSP that you can't get from the SC? From what Scott is telling me I can do custom tunes with the $39 advance trany option with the SC for my 08. Which will allow for both partial up and down shifts on all gears where the DPS only allows partial ups and gears 1-3 and no partial down. The best i can tell the only thing DSP can do that i won't be able to do is change my spark timing. Since i am not planning to do do cams or any capacity changes....does this even matter to me?

I have been researching the heck of out of both of these. Its nice that the DSP comes as is out of the box where SC you have to down load free or charged to get what DSP offers. It has been tough to compair them since SC as all the add ons and the add ons are different for each make/model. Seems more people are happy with the trans option with SC and i totally can see the issues with tech support are clearly better with SC than with diablo. Going with support over the life of the item is a good thing since i haven't had to deal with Diablo yet. However it seems there is deffinately a smaller amount of info availble right now on the Diablo and how to get started with it.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Redtruck,

So when you say custom tune, what are you going to get with the DSP that you can't get from the SC? From what Scott is telling me I can do custom tunes with the $39 advance trany option with the SC for my 08. Which will allow for both partial up and down shifts on all gears where the DPS only allows partial ups and gears 1-3 and no partial down. The best i can tell the only thing DSP can do that i won't be able to do is change my spark timing. Since i am not planning to do do cams or any capacity changes....does this even matter to me?

I have been researching the heck of out of both of these. Its nice that the DSP comes as is out of the box where SC you have to down load free or charged to get what DSP offers. It has been tough to compair them since SC as all the add ons and the add ons are different for each make/model. Seems more people are happy with the trans option with SC and i totally can see the issues with tech support are clearly better with SC than with diablo. Going with support over the life of the item is a good thing since i haven't had to deal with Diablo yet. However it seems there is deffinately a smaller amount of info availble right now on the Diablo and how to get started with it.
SC does not custom tune the PCM (engine) but you can buy the "extra" TCM (trans) support ($40) from them.

Diablo gets into the real tuning of the PCM and TCM and can change a lot more parameters on the PCM side than what SC can do.

If you are getting a big, high lift or high LSA cam, SC cannot help you. You need to be custom tuned and Diablo can only do that. If you are going for basic mods then stick with SC.

In my exp, Ive had a SC (2 of them) and Ive had a Diablo Predator and now have a Diablo Trinity and you could not pry the Trinity out of my hands. But it is something that fits my needs.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

So which items can the DSP do on the PCM side other then the spark timing? Seems that neither company has done a vary good job at listing everything the programmer is capable of doing.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:39 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Using the DSP you can adjust saved tune's fuel and timing settings. But that is not the real advantage of the DSP as it can also be used as the "vehicle" to reflash your PCM with a totally custom tune. The SC cannot do this. You only need a custom tune if you you are using an super charger, aggressive cam with the supportive mods to maxumize the potential of the engine. As for add-on's you need a DSP power supply, USB cable and time on a chassis dyno to develop the custom tune specifically for your truck. SC out of the box will allow you to install canned performance tunes for 91, 87 Octane. There are also towing and ecomnomy tune, plus transmission tunes, rpm and speed restricter adjustment. In my book this a no brainer, figure out what you want your truck to do and choose a tuner to fill your needs.

Note: SC does custom tunes for the transmission on the newer models. This is different from custom engine tunes that SC cannot do on any model.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

The issue is since i am so new to tuning of vehicles i don't know what can be done as to know what i want. The easy part of the equation is i know the stock shift points suck and love the changes the dsp has done so far. I still think they need a little tweeking....just not real sure where to start when i set it up. Sounds like both DSP and SC have this covered. The question becomes what additional engine mods can I do with the DSP that the SC won't give me. I don't plan to at a super charger or do any new cams at this point. So does this mean that i would be better off doing a super chip for the better shifting options? or does this mean that the difference in shifting options are min and the extra engine tuning is worth staying with the DSP. I know no one can really answer this last question...since it totally depends on what you want to do. But at one point you were recomending the SC over the DSP for an 08 Ram. Seems to me this would mean the shifting capability of the SC might be beneficial over the DSP for me since i don't plan to do major engine mods. However i am normally one to buy the best tool for the job assuming as i learn more i may want those additional features (this is why I have to rely on what others have experienced with them).

Right now my biggest factor is I am getting straight up answers from Scott at SC and i posted on the Diablo forum and haven't gotten straight up answers from them at all. Also haven't had any truck stopping issues yet with diablo and like the idea of the extra features.

Sorry for so many questions. I find out more every day how much better my truck can really be with some tuning. My only tuning experience has been on an R6 motorcyle that i rejetted and tuned. So fuel injected large gas engines is pretty new to me. I have always done the standard maintenance and repairs on all my vehicles just no tuning.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

The issue is since i am so new to tuning of vehicles i don't know what can be done as to know what i want. The easy part of the equation is i know the stock shift points suck and love the changes the dsp has done so far. I still think they need a little tweeking....just not real sure where to start when i set it up. Sounds like both DSP and SC have this covered. The question becomes what additional engine mods can I do with the DSP that the SC won't give me. I don't plan to at a super charger or do any new cams at this point. So does this mean that i would be better off doing a super chip for the better shifting options? or does this mean that the difference in shifting options are min and the extra engine tuning is worth staying with the DSP. I know no one can really answer this last question...since it totally depends on what you want to do. But at one point you were recomending the SC over the DSP for an 08 Ram. Seems to me this would mean the shifting capability of the SC might be beneficial over the DSP for me since i don't plan to do major engine mods. However i am normally one to buy the best tool for the job assuming as i learn more i may want those additional features (this is why I have to rely on what others have experienced with them).

Right now my biggest factor is I am getting straight up answers from Scott at SC and i posted on the Diablo forum and haven't gotten straight up answers from them at all. Also haven't had any truck stopping issues yet with diablo and like the idea of the extra features.

Sorry for so many questions. I find out more every day how much better my truck can really be with some tuning. My only tuning experience has been on an R6 motorcyle that i rejetted and tuned. So fuel injected large gas engines is pretty new to me. I have always done the standard maintenance and repairs on all my vehicles just no tuning.
If you aren't planning any mods that need custom tuning then stick with SC. Better shift options and canned tunes are very similar.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

But at the same time I said I would never do half of the things I have done now. I started out with a canned tune out of a SC and was happy with that but im never happy for long. I ended up selling the SC and getting a cam and DSP and then just kept selling equipment I didnt like or want and kept progressing.

Just like right now Im seriously thinking of selling my truck as is and buying a CTD.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

Dang...you have modded the heck out of that truck and now you are thinking of selling it?

Quick Reply: Diablo Information and Reviews