Data Loggers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I am surprised that you are not seeing good results from it. That is basically the same tb I have from Dan and it has imporved my throttle response nicely along with a slight drop in times compared to stock.
I also expected good resaults from it but my seat of the pants feeling was it was a little flat. My numbers went from 6.24 to 6.92. So my feeling was confirmed. Even with the TC I'm still off the 6.24 mark, which has been my best to date. I have rebooted the PCM and it has gotten better but still not where it was with the original TB. Don't know, anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your delivering an increase in torque to the wheels one would expect your 0-60 time would improve, unless you are smokin the tires more now than before which would delay your take-off yet trigger the data-logger as the truck noses out, just a though, but yeh that would bug the hell outta me thats why I am hesitant to do a datalog, maybe start with a stopwatch to see if I got anything impressive, then data log, also at 384 bucks a tire you gotta be careful. Do you have a pair of pizza cutters you can mount until you get it right?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by 03MopaRamman
If your delivering an increase in torque to the wheels one would expect your 0-60 time would improve, unless you are smokin the tires more now than before which would delay your take-off yet trigger the data-logger as the truck noses out, just a though, but yeh that would bug the hell outta me thats why I am hesitant to do a datalog, maybe start with a stopwatch to see if I got anything impressive, then data log, also at 384 bucks a tire you gotta be careful. Do you have a pair of pizza cutters you can mount until you get it right?
Yes, the tires are spinning harder. Originally I would power brake just above idle and let it go. This is how I ran the 6.24 time. Now if I do any power braking it spins hard. Now I'm just holding the brake until I smack the throttle. I am still getting more spin than I use to and the engine is not as sharp as it was with the original TB. So actually I feel good about how it is working. Just need to figure out why the new TB is off. Also I'm going to start lowering tire pressure as I work with the TB. If I can't get it right I'll call FastMan for some input. Actually having fun playing with it. I like using the data-logging as it gives me a constant to work from. I don't want to mix up how I'm measuring things as that would make my old data worthless.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

really odd that the tb isn't giving you some good numbers. That was one of the best mods I have ever done on mine. It was acting really really touchy with the knife edge which was my only complaint with it, otherwise your tb is the same one I got on mine,

Question I woulld ask is is it the same as the one you took out or is it a newer version? I dont know but are the TB's for the 03 and 04 the same or similar? maybe you got a one for an 04 thats not liking your 03?

Also, when mine was acting up with the knife edge on it, I looked into ways to tame it and one thing that kept popping up was if you can get a hold of one of those start scanners or whatever the one the dealer uses, there is a menu for a "Re-Learn TB position" or something along those lines that can reflash or re learn the tb.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Also whenever I have ran my fastest times, I have never power braked it to get it there. unless you are on some DR's its pointlless to do. You'll just spin them every time you go to gun it. The way I do it is I go about 1/2 throttle til 40mph +/-, then hammer it from there on. I'll still break the 305's loose if Im not carefull its better than the 275's but still not enought to go WOT from a stand still without getting sideways

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

OK DATA LOG Thread, where are all you heavy 4x4 Quad Cabs? So as I said earlier I wasn't gonna get too caulky and I am here to Man up. For those small 2 door rigs, boys you are quick, and weed although I thought you would be faster my apologies as your seven seconds is a bad boy benchmark.

OK Pilgrims Here are the best stats from my 4 runs:

0-40 4.36
0-50 5.74
0-60 8.39

Now no Idea what a fair stock run would be. Now my play by play.
My 3.55's with the Tires I got makes my launches (if you wanna call it that) a Dogs ****. All 4 runs played differently but the first run cold got me the best 0-60.
No worries about those big tires not even a squack on the Alberta ashphalt.

So what does this prove.

The truck is f'n heavy
Mods are culmulative (Thanks Greg)
410 or 456 gears are a must (392 minimum)
Torque converter is a must.
Low end torque Cam a must for good 0-60 times.

I am happy I have a baseline in which to improve upon.

e-fan is next so we'll see what gives.

Since my Cam works high a 1/4 mile time may be more reputable but I'm gonna save that for the end reward gentelman.

OK have at her boys but just be prepared to Cowboy UP is all.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Michael0077
Veteran

Originally Posted by truckin151
Also whenever I have ran my fastest times, I have never power braked it to get it there. unless you are on some DR's its pointlless to do. You'll just spin them every time you go to gun it. The way I do it is I go about 1/2 throttle til 40mph +/-, then hammer it from there on. I'll still break the 305's loose if Im not carefull its better than the 275's but still not enought to go WOT from a stand still without getting sideways
is the reason you hold it at half throttle because your tires will spin if you don't? or is that just your prefered method of take off?

gonna have to retry my runs ... never thought about powerbreaking then letting my foot down. i'll be back with some new numbers tomorrow

Old 04-20-2010, 01:35 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

if i dont do that i just sit and spin. If i go anymore than half throttle up till about 30 I spin.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by truckin151
I'm at my daughters for a couple days. The truck ran great on the highway today (200) miles. I was hoping to keep things simple and just do full throttle starts. So I'll try slower throttle starts and play with tire pressure and maybe go back to some ballast. Paint shop not working out on this trip, maybe next week.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by 03MopaRamman
OK DATA LOG Thread, where are all you heavy 4x4 Quad Cabs? So as I said earlier I wasn't gonna get too caulky and I am here to Man up. For those small 2 door rigs, boys you are quick, and weed although I thought you would be faster my apologies as your seven seconds is a bad boy benchmark.

OK Pilgrims Here are the best stats from my 4 runs:

0-40 4.36
0-50 5.74
0-60 8.39

Now no Idea what a fair stock run would be. Now my play by play.
My 3.55's with the Tires I got makes my launches (if you wanna call it that) a Dogs ****. All 4 runs played differently but the first run cold got me the best 0-60.
No worries about those big tires not even a squack on the Alberta ashphalt.

So what does this prove.

The truck is f'n heavy
Mods are culmulative (Thanks Greg)
410 or 456 gears are a must (392 minimum)
Torque converter is a must.
Low end torque Cam a must for good 0-60 times.

I am happy I have a baseline in which to improve upon.

e-fan is next so we'll see what gives.

Since my Cam works high a 1/4 mile time may be more reputable but I'm gonna save that for the end reward gentelman.

OK have at her boys but just be prepared to Cowboy UP is all.

This is great! Now we are grtting some meaningful numbers. Tracking mods and times. This way we can really tell what is working and what mods best suits our individual rides. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Data Loggers