3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Ceramic Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktop
I'd like to add to this old thread. I recently put on Autozone duralast gold C-Max brake pads on the front of my 2005 QC. I sanded the rotors and after a 100+ mile brake-in period I can say the initial bite is just about the same maybe a little better, but with harder foot pressure it definitely stops better. I do notice if I ride the brakes down long hills they do fade a little though. I didn't touch the back brakes yet. It would probably grab even better if I do the backs and new rotors all around. To top it off the brake pads have a lifetime warranty. When the wear out the pads you just bring them back to Autozone for new ones. There probably are better pads out there, but I'm happy with my purchase.
x2..........I also did the C-Max from Autozone. They put out far less dust and I have NEVER had any noice from them. They also come with grease and new clips. They cost about $60 for the front and another $60 for the rear. They are worth the money alone for anyone who has good rims. Plus, like he said, they have a lifetime warranty and you cant go wrong with that.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Merc4Stroke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rotors?

I have about 32K on my '04 QC. If I were to swap to ceramic pads, is it a MUST that I change the rotors also?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it is not a must.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio
No, it is not a must.

I see your sig. You ordered an '09? Congrats. Has the TA been your daily driver? RCSB sweet. Put pics in 4th gen when you get her.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, had a 05 RCSB Sport, miss it to much. So the TA is going in favor of the new truck. There will be pics once I get it, I may be the fastest to do mods as well, already have them lined up.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
blacktop
Rookie

I'd like to add to this old thread. I recently put on Autozone duralast gold C-Max brake pads on the front of my 2005 QC. I sanded the rotors and after a 100+ mile brake-in period I can say the initial bite is just about the same maybe a little better, but with harder foot pressure it definitely stops better. I do notice if I ride the brakes down long hills they do fade a little though. I didn't touch the back brakes yet. It would probably grab even better if I do the backs and new rotors all around. To top it off the brake pads have a lifetime warranty. When the wear out the pads you just bring them back to Autozone for new ones. There probably are better pads out there, but I'm happy with my purchase.
I would like to update this and say the ceramic pads I bought have worn out in 1 years time and put out loads of dust that ruined the finish on my chrome clad wheels. Good thing they are lifetime replacement.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You must have had a bad chrome finish on your rims because mine are fine and I just cleaned them today. However, I do clean them regularly and try to keep them clean because they cost so much and are chrome.

As for replacing them every year, yeah. I replaced mine already in a years time but at the same time I went from stock 20s with 32" street tires to 24s with 36" ATs. They weigh more and require more to stop them.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:23 PM
blacktop
Rookie
Thumbs down

(March 2009)I'd like to add to this old thread. I recently put on Autozone duralast gold C-Max brake pads on the front of my 2005 QC. I sanded the rotors and after a 100+ mile brake-in period I can say the initial bite is just about the same maybe a little better, but with harder foot pressure it definitely stops better. I do notice if I ride the brakes down long hills they do fade a little though. I didn't touch the back brakes yet. It would probably grab even better if I do the backs and new rotors all around. To top it off the brake pads have a lifetime warranty. When the wear out the pads you just bring them back to Autozone for new ones. There probably are better pads out there, but I'm happy with my purchase.

(May 2010)I would like to update this and say the ceramic pads I bought have worn out in 1 years time and put out loads of dust that ruined the finish on my chrome clad wheels. Good thing they are lifetime replacement.
I wound up installing new rotors and FREE cmax pads on the front just to see if the pads would last any longer with new rotors. After all the pads were FREE. They did last 2 months longer .

Now its September 2011 Got another set of FREE pads so I sanded the rotors and installed the pads again and will probably change all rotors and pads to somthing better next time around doing brakes every year sucks. I dont see how people say they put out less dust. Let that dust sit on your wheels for a couple weeks and see how it is very difficult to get off.

I feel these pads are a sales tactic to just get you back in Autozone more often. pads lasted 14 months on old rotors and 16 months on new ones. I live 7 minutes from work and dont drive to much. Thumbs down from me.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Fav40
Professional

Bumping an old thread...

I loved Hawks on my Silverado. Running C-max now and on my 2nd pair up front and 2nd pair being installed today in the rear. Dust up more than I'd like, but free is cool. Although, if you pay more and they last longer it's the better.

Going with slotted rotors and hawks up front come Spring.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM
blacktop
Rookie

Its about a year later and my free c-max pads have worn out again......Garbage pad!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Brake Pads