3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Will Mods void Warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Ram31791
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Mods void Warrenty

Ok, I have been reading many post and basically come to the conclusion that on my New 07 Hemi, Isee CIA, Exhust, and a tuner should be my first mods. Being I had Cat back and tuner on my 02 Ford, I know that should not void it and if I need to take it in for work to just load the Factory Programming before I take it in. Now, being I have the Lifetime Powertain and the 100k extended. Will the CIA void anything?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator
Default RE: Will Mods void Warrenty

I say no, it will not void the warranty. A lot of Ram owners have done this and I can't think of anyone that has voided the warranty doing so.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
djr04
All Star

as long as the intake doesn't cause a direct problem, such as a poor weld breaking and getting sucked into the engine, you are fine. The Magnuson Moss act protects you from the dealer trying to screw you from using aftermarket parts. It basically states that the dealer must be able to prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of the failure.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This will be the 474th time I will type this...

Do a Google search for:
Magnuson - Moss Act.

Read it, understand it & your question will be answered...

Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 AM
BIGMC69
Amateur

I work at a Dodge Dealership. The only way any aftermarket part that is installed on your vehicle can void any type of warranty is if the direct result of the failure is related to the aftermarket component that is installed on your vehicle. Other wise you are ok.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
drhunter
Professional

I've never heard of theMagnuson - Moss Act. I havent beena member of this forum very long but I read it daily except on the weekends. I will google it now...

Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Actually, BIGMC69's statement is a very good, simple synopsis of the act...

Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

As for CAI's, many dealerships sell them themselves and will even install them for you. At my local dealership they offer the Mopar Performance CAI and the K&N, albiet the K&N is like $50 more there than anywhere else. So if your super worried you could buy it there (if available) and have them install it. It'd be allot harder for them to give you crap about it if it came from them and they installed it [sm=smiley2.gif]

The only trouble with the Magnuson Moss act is that the dealer can still jerk you around and you have to haul them in over it. If they directly violate the act then you can hang them over it, but you'll still have endure a bunch of lost time and expense to get there..Anyhow, most of the more common stuff (CAI, muffler replacement, etc..) I've never heard my dealer even give a second thought to them (I might be lucky I guess)...

Old 11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't shoot the messenger here, I just want to share the painful truth. Dealerships don't have to prove anything, ever. Dealerships don't HAVE to warranty anything, ever, period. Once you buy a vehicle and drive it off the lot, it is yours. If it breaks down 30 seconds later, the dealer does not have to do anything to help you. Chrysler corp. is responsible for the warranty, not the dealer. If you mod your truck, you are taking the risk of having the dealer refuse warranty repairs because Dodge will not reimburse the dealer. Even if you have a bone stock vehicle that just needs warranty repairs, the dealer still does not have to do anything. Don't get me wrong. I know a CAI will not cause the radio to quit or the trans to go out. I like warranty work. Love horsepower. But if you go into a dealership with a modded truck and an attitude, you are probally gonna get shown the door...If a dealership really wants to push the issue, 1 phonecall or emailto their district manager and you warranty is void. And if you have a chip or programmer on your truck but take it off your truck before you go to the dealer, there is still a way to tell that you had it on there...

Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

Please don't shoot the messenger here, I just want to share the painful truth. Dealerships don't have to prove anything, ever. Dealerships don't HAVE to warranty anything, ever, period. Once you buy a vehicle and drive it off the lot, it is yours. If it breaks down 30 seconds later, the dealer does not have to do anything to help you. Chrysler corp. is responsible for the warranty, not the dealer. If you mod your truck, you are taking the risk of having the dealer refuse warranty repairs because Dodge will not reimburse the dealer. Even if you have a bone stock vehicle that just needs warranty repairs, the dealer still does not have to do anything. Don't get me wrong. I know a CAI will not cause the radio to quit or the trans to go out. I like warranty work. Love horsepower. But if you go into a dealership with a modded truck and an attitude, you are probally gonna get shown the door...If a dealership really wants to push the issue, 1 phonecall or emailto their district manager and you warranty is void. And if you have a chip or programmer on your truck but take it off your truck before you go to the dealer, there is still a way to tell that you had it on there...
Ina court of law, if you tried to refuse warranty service without just cause, you would lose your proverbial ***. Your brain has been "processed" by your employer. Your perception of the "truth" you speak of has gone through a corporate adjustment as well.

For those who can't follow legal gibberish, the "warrantor" in this case would Chrysler and the "designatee of the warrantor" would be the dealership.

Ifa warrantor or designateeof the warrantor gives a written warranty on any consumer product, Section 108 of the Act prevents you from eliminating or restricting any implied warranties unless adequate proof can be supplied that modifications performed by the owner of the product or a designatee of the owner directly caused the component(s) in question to fail.

Section 110(d) of the Act makes breach of warranty to any individual a violation of federal law, and enables consumers to recover full court costs, attorneys' fees, miscellaneous expenses and damages.

Section 102 (c) of the Act prohibits you from including a tie-in sales provision in your warranty. Such provisions include requiring the purchaser to purchase additional items or obtain service on the item from the warrantor or a designatee of the warrantor.

The Act promotes a timely and complete performance of any and all warranty obligations. A consumer has the right to sue for compensation of expenses incurred as a direct result of untimely or incomplete performance of any and all warranty repairs.

BTW: I had warranty service refused me by an auto stealership (not Chrysler) for a cracked piston that forced me to break down while towing my bass boat home from a tournament. They refused to honor my warranty because I installed a dual exhaust myself (I even illegally cut out the cats).
I had an attorney send a letter that I intended to file suit under the Magnuson-Moss Act. They responded by saying that I "mis-understood" them and that they had always had every intention of honoring my warranty and not only would expedite my repair, but they would provide me a loaner 4x4 free of charge to "make up" for any misunderstanding.
I hate lawyers, but I hate Stealerships more...

Quick Reply: Will Mods void Warrenty