3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Hughes Intake Maniflod for 5.9, Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I have quite a bit planned for next weekend. The new intake of course then I already bought the MSD 8.5 wires with new champion truck plugs from Summit, next I got the cap and rotor from NAPA (the brass one). I also purchased the 50mm TB from fastman Dan and a New CAI made by Volant. To top it all off I have a Superchips Flashpaq waiting for everything to be installed. I am still waiting for the intake, TB, and CAI to arrive and I plan on picking up a 180 therm this week. Hopefully it will all be here by next weekend. According to my tracking numbers they should be here early this week. I can only imagine what it will run like once everything is intalled. I am hoping that the new intake comes with Torque specs, if not I found a TSB that has them and I will have to use the factory torques specs. I will try to take good pictures. I often get excited when I am doing upgrades and forget to take pictures. If anyone lives in the area your welcome to come by and give me a hand. lol

Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dam that truck is gunna scream!!! now just go ahead and drop the $375 for the 1.7's and you wont really have anything else to do.....

Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 PM
pdavis53
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, I have been debating it but man I have dumped a lot of cash in the motor and I need to save something for later.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
graphicjunkie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would this change the engine sound?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the airgap. there is a improvement over stock when you hit about 2200rpms. never really noticed any low end loss. and i didnt see any improvement in mileage. i think people that see a improvement in mileage, have a blown plenum gasket before the airgap install. my plenum was good. do i think its worth the money? yeh, probably. would i buy it again? yep. i got more mods in my future planned, like heads, cam and supercharger. i think the airgap will help tie it all together.

i didnt like the way the fuel rails bolt to the brackets. the bracket setup is kinda cheap. and you will need a brass plug to plug off one of the holes. cannt remember what size it is. they give you some, but not enough for it.

and i love stickers. they sent some cheap *** paper ones with it. pissed me off.

and it does change the sound of the truck a little.

Last edited by talon6; 05-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 AM
mexico
Rookie

honestly I'd wait until you find a nice used M1 intake. no more plenum and proven gains

Old 05-20-2010, 03:03 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

icant wait to get one myself , your trucks going to scream i have evreything you said exept the airgap, and it RUNS... i cant wait for the airgap and the sct!!

later down the road sean from hemifever will write a custum tune to those mods and removed the torque management for alot more power, im trying to sell my superchips and my stock rims and stuff to get it hehe

i know aim got vids of his intake on youtube it sounds bad@ss and its got ***** and he got the 5.2 i think its faster than my 5.9 :P

Last edited by lastrights; 05-20-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

I'm confused, his sig shows a 4th gen which obviously doesn't have the 5.9 in it? I take it he sold his other truck which I assume had the 5.9? Did this project ever get done or was it just talk, cuz I have looked at these and I wanna know how it worked out.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I have heard nothing but good things now about the hughes intake, and hughes has a very good reputation with all of their products. I will end up buying it eventually, now that I have a nice throttle body on the way, and an exhaust on, I need to do this intake next.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mexico
honestly I'd wait until you find a nice used M1 intake. no more plenum and proven gains
with a m1 you lose some of your low end. and you also get rid of the plenum problem with the airgap.

i feel the best thing for the m1 is something like a regular cab 2 wheel drive ram or dakota. where you dont need as much torque. i am not saying the m1 is a bad thing. i just donnt think its right for a 4x4 quad cab. though the m1 can be had new for alot cheaper.

Quick Reply: Hughes Intake Maniflod for 5.9, Opinions please