3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Black Bigmouth 'billet' Grille

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 AM
I Ak Soul I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Bigmouth 'billet' Grille

Alright so this is the third time I've wrote out this thread, sigh.

Anyway.

So hey, I have been searching this site for sometime now and i finally decided that I should make an account. Well hey!

So the question

I've been shopping around for a new grille for my 02 Ram 1500 and narrowed it down too two different grilles. Both of them are one piece black bigmouth billet style grills.

http://www.myhotram.com/Spec_D-Tunin...AM02JM/639958/

&

http://www.myhotram.com/Option-Racin..._17268/763150/

I like the second one the most, because to me it looks fuller and rugged. Now i know the second one has 8mm bars and I'm not sure how large the other one has for the height of the billet bars.

My first question is, does anyone know if the black for either of them matches (or is close enough) to the stock black my truck is? If not how hard would it be to paint them myself or how much might it cost to get them professionally done? Also i have not been able to find a picture of them on a truck so I cant really tell.

Also in the future i was planning on tucking some kc lights behind the grille. Do you think that the 8mm bars would restrict the light output too much for them to work properly or well?

Well thanks in advance guy, any advise or help would be cool.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple gloss black coating with clear coat and you can't go wrong. because it's gonna be inlaid sorta in the front of the truck you can get away with minor color changes . nobody will notice trust me. add "guttah" grill and really get more functionality with your mod! that addition will protect the rad from stones kicked up in the rad, area!!

Old 03-21-2010, 08:59 AM
paul07
Veteran

def #2

Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by I Ak Soul I
Alright so this is the third time I've wrote out this thread, sigh.

Anyway.

So hey, I have been searching this site for sometime now and i finally decided that I should make an account. Well hey!

So the question

I've been shopping around for a new grille for my 02 Ram 1500 and narrowed it down too two different grilles. Both of them are one piece black bigmouth billet style grills.

http://www.myhotram.com/Spec_D-Tunin...AM02JM/639958/

&

http://www.myhotram.com/Option-Racin..._17268/763150/

I like the second one the most, because to me it looks fuller and rugged. Now i know the second one has 8mm bars and I'm not sure how large the other one has for the height of the billet bars.

My first question is, does anyone know if the black for either of them matches (or is close enough) to the stock black my truck is?

I'd send them an email and ask if they were painted with factory paint.

If not how hard would it be to paint them myself or how much might it cost to get them professionally done?

You can do it yourself but the paint that is already on it will most likely be a closer match. If you get it professionally done you can have them use factory paint which for 2002 black is going to be paint code PX8. depending on your area and shop, it might cost in the $50-$150 range. I'd call your local shops for estimates or if you have a friend in the business ask him.

Also i have not been able to find a picture of them on a truck so I cant really tell.

May not be the same, but wide mouth grills

Also in the future i was planning on tucking some kc lights behind the grille. Do you think that the 8mm bars would restrict the light output too much for them to work properly or well?

Yes

Well thanks in advance guy, any advise or help would be cool.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that white ram is sick...you should check ebay they may have a better price on em....

Old 03-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Hemi-5.7
Professional

widemouth's are the way to go. whos white truck is that, its boss

Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The white truck is a 2wd truck that the guy sold and got a CTD. Its an 02 that got a face lift.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Albertaramfan
Captain

I like the second one too.
I have the first one in chrome already and it looks great on the truck imo but needs to be color matched.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I Ak Soul I

Ohh wow, thanks for the replies guys. So now more questions lol.

alright rocket, I've seen the gutta grille mod. do you mean put that on behind the billet bars? and i was also thinking a slight color change would be hardly noticeable.

Got_Hemi - first off that white ram is, just wow. secondly thanks for answering the kc light question, looks like a light bar will be needed. also that blue ram with the chrome billets and blue shell looks pretty nice. any idea were i could get one of those?

I think i'm going to go with the second one, and it helps reinforce that decision that you guys agree.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
V10Venom
Captain

No offense, but I don't like the grills without the crossbars. It gets rid of the dodge look completely!

Quick Reply: Black Bigmouth 'billet' Grille