3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

got spanked!!! need opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:58 AM
southernbnb
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know. its a deal of a lifetime and i wish i had the money but i just cant squeeze it in the budget. oh well. maybe i will be lucky enough to stumble across something similar in a few months when my budget has a little more wiggle room.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Maori
Professional

It's a cycle as i remember typing the same words a few years ago when checking out some of modded rides thinking, "man my truck has the potential to be like those" lol

truckin pretty much nailed it regarding traction. The remaining caltrac parts will go in the truck today then i will look for a set of wider rear tires so hopefully that should help as a lot of lowend is lost due to not getting it to the ground.

With that said i gotta say that the only thing constant is change, as i am already planning to move up to a 3400/3500 Stall and a bigger cam while keeping stock heads. lol.

Originally Posted by southernbnb
lol i bet! ur truck is what mine wants to be when it grows up!!!! lmao

Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Maori
Professional

x2. Those are great prices as i paid a hundred or so more for my billet TC less than a year ago.

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
I am telling ya, I would get AF's TC first while that deal was still around! IF it is when you have the money!! superchips and gears will be there, the deal on that TC wont be for long. It will save you money in the long run!! my .02!!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:25 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by southernbnb
i know. its a deal of a lifetime and i wish i had the money but i just cant squeeze it in the budget. oh well. maybe i will be lucky enough to stumble across something similar in a few months when my budget has a little more wiggle room.
my point was to make this your first purchase, save what you can, and hope he still has it, if he dont then go whichever direction you want.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
bring it!! not afraid i beat a modded cummins the other day...
OH common man. Are you sure your that brave? How many threads have you read on this forum about wanting to be as fast as "those" chipped diesels man?

What exactly is a modded cummins? Look, I wouldnt mind putting a grand on my slightly modded PSD to your modded HEMI. LOL, that would be fun though, wouldnt it. Maybe you just have a fluke fast truck.... Check yer PM....

Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Olerodder

I will probably get slammed for say this, but there will always be someone out there faster than you...................no matter how much money you spend. To be able to put your 5500lb truck into the mid 13 second times in the 1/4 mile you are going to have to make about 450hp at the rear wheels and around 530hp at the crank. Just to put this in perspective, a new 2011 Mustang with the new 5.0l motor will do this off the show room floor......................so, if you want to dip into the 12 second bracket at the strip you will need about 520hp at the rear wheels and be making over 620hp at the crank..........................
I have been a drag racer for more years than most people on this forum have been alive and it is the rush of your life to do 10 second pass at over 137mph in the quarter mile.................my Maverick is a blast!
There is a guy at our local strip with Dodge Diesel doing low 12's and he drives it on the street......................
The first thing to remember about a motor is that it is nothing other than a large "Air Pump", and the more you stuff into it the more you have to get out.....................for making 500hp (at the rear wheels) out of our Hemi's without putting a second morgage on the house or selling your girlfriend, the only way to go is a supercharger. You can put a cam/long tube headers/intake/etc, etc and spend twice as much money inside the motor and still not come up with the HP gains that simply bolting a supercharger will give. With a supercharger you can change the boost just by changing pulleys and go from 6/8 to over 15 if you have the *****.
Long tube headers are a total waste of time unless you are spinning the motor over 6grand and even then the difference in HP is minimal unless you have huge cams, high compression, very large injectors and a lot of head work...............and then how reliable is the truck going to be on the road...............and finding high octane gas is getting harder and harder to do...................although you can buy Non-Leaded racing gas for $8 per gallon.

IMHO

Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 AM
southernbnb
Captain

yeah i know there will always be somebody faster. im not trying to make it into a race car. its my daily driver. but i want her to go faster! lol thank you for the in depth response rodder. i have a question for you though. if i were to go the supercharger route wouldnt i still need to upgrade other stuff as well. maybe im just out of my head but it seems to me that just slapping a supercharger on to a bone stock motor is just asking for trouble!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
OH common man. Are you sure your that brave? How many threads have you read on this forum about wanting to be as fast as "those" chipped diesels man?

What exactly is a modded cummins? Look, I wouldnt mind putting a grand on my slightly modded PSD to your modded HEMI. LOL, that would be fun though, wouldnt it. Maybe you just have a fluke fast truck.... Check yer PM....
well it had a banks exhaust and and a tuner bc it dumped black smoke before we started. i will race u but dont have a grand do put down lol and no pms if u sent one...

Old 05-22-2010, 12:16 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Truely wise words (Olrodder), personnally I do not enjoy the sound/noise or coloured smoke accompanied by a modified Diesel Pick-Up Truck especially when behaving badly but with the need to respect others I always keep those comments to myself, and mind my business, cause its all part of the incentive to do my own thing as a Gasser in my part of the Mopar World of Dodge. Nope ain't Got Smoke here Mister Just Got a Hemi to drive me down range to play with real bombs.

Last edited by 03MopaRamman; 05-22-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 PM
mexico
Rookie

wise words rodder. imo these are TRUCKS, and are utilitarian by design. some day I hope to be towing a ten-second car with my truck but the amount of money you have to spend to get a reliable fast truck this size is just not worth it. that dont mean i wont leave it stock, just means I have more important things to spend my money on. namely college tuition.. lol

Quick Reply: got spanked!!! need opinions please.