3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
I have nitto terra grappler 305/70/17 that will fit perfect. Sounds like you want a all terrian tire. The bouncing you are describing can also be fixed by new shocks and weight in the bed. The weight will make the most difference.
Yeah, makes sense I could change the shocks...but why should I have to change something that there is nothing wrong with, just so the truck will adapt to make up for something else? I guess when I had my ladders and tools in my truck it didn't do it as bad as it does now, but I no longer need it in the truck so why carry around unnecessary weight and decrease gas mileage to make up for junk tires?

305/70/17 fit perfectly? When I had that size in the wranglers M/T I needed 1/2" spacers. Well, prolly 3/8" woulda done it but all I could find was 5/16" and 1/2". Tried the 5/16" and was too close for comfort for me. Sure there was a little gap, but it seemed it wasn't enough if the front end were to bounce up and slam back down a bit, compressing the tire, causing it to rub on the upper control arm.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM
FlexJohnson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had BF Goodrich All Terrains that were very good... Somewhat aggressive but quiet on the road and could handle some pretty rocky terrain.. Also look at Hankook Dynapro MT's... They are very good tires as well

Old 06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep KX, we have a little more room for tire width with the torsion bars than the 06+ coil over guys, what just fits for you would rub a little on his...

Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 PM
4XLgatorfan
Veteran

I'm impressed with my Nitto Terra Grapplers so far. They haven't been off-road yet but have proven good in the rain. The ride is as good as stock and they are quiet at all speeds, up to and including interstate speed (80 or so).

Old 06-03-2010, 03:45 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

So far the Nitto's take trump. I may be mistaken, but I think they are the only ones that had multiple suggestions period...if nothing else, they def. have the most suggestions. I looked into them and around here, they are about the same price as anything else in it's category. So all the good reviews here, and the price...so far I am leaning to them...but it'll be a few months before anything happens...so I apologize if I keep bringing this thread back to life every now and again, I just don't wanna spend this kinda money blindly, especially when I have this resource for reviews...not just review on the tire itself, but reviews on trucks mostly just like mine

Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 AM
CurtC

I'm happy with the noise and traction of the Nitto's. Just expect a 1-2 MPG drop, and you'll be lucky to get 30k usable miles from them...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Snoman

I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Quiet on the highway, excellent traction year round in the mud snow and rain and they have Kevlar in them so your not forever plugging holes in them.
A little more expensive than OEM stuff but well worth the money. Oh and they are rated to last 50,000 miles [80,000km] under normal wear and tear.

Last edited by Snoman; 06-03-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Originally Posted by Snoman
I have Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Quiet on the highway, excellent traction year round in the mud snow and rain and they have Kevlar in them so your not forever plugging holes in them.
A little more expensive than OEM stuff but well worth the money. Oh and they are rated to last 50,000 miles [80,000km] under normal wear and tear.
That's what I have now and am trying to get away from them. They make my truck ride like crap...And rated at 50000 miles...I have about 20000 miles and the rears are practically bald...and I never smoked them, not once...didn't even spin them much on ice and snow

Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtC
I'm happy with the noise and traction of the Nitto's. Just expect a 1-2 MPG drop, and you'll be lucky to get 30k usable miles from them...

??????????????????????

A mileage drop if going from a soccer mom type tire for sure, any time you add traction and deeper tread you will lose a mpg or two. But "lucky to get 30k", I couldn't disagree more! I now have 13k on the set on my Grand Cherokee and they are not even showing any wear yet. This is a VERY popular tire in my hunting club circle of friends and I personally know guys with 50k+ on them on their trucks.
They don't wear like Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek tires, but they don't cost $300 a tire either...

Old 06-03-2010, 11:16 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

ok poeple might not believe me but these maxxis bighorn MTs i have on my trucks, rides smoother and quieter than most ATs but the tread life sucks! but great traction offraod, i am thinkin my next tire will be the toyo open country MTs i heard those are pretty much a beefed up AT thats quiet and kicksass offroad,

Quick Reply: Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires