3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from Firestone Destination M/T's if you're looking for a quiet ride!!!

Great traction all around, even in heavy, thick slush---no hydroplaning/sliding, but they do seriously growl going down the highway.

I really like them, but the stereo volume has definitely gone up!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
bamataco
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T"s They are very quiet on highways in my opinion. I live in the desert so I don't know how they would do in mud but in sand they are pretty good and in all other on road situations.
I have had BFG All Terrains they were very good all around tires to and not to noisey on the highway.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Snoman

Originally Posted by kx250frider617
Damn you pull a 40ft 5th wheel with that short bed? At that size, I would prefer a long bed dually but then I have to climb a mountain to get to the desert where I live.
Yup, We just got back from a week over the rockies in Kalispell Montana. The trailer weighs just under 11,000 dry with a pin weight of 1960. Nothing a Cummins can't handle.
Plus the front cap is designed for short box trucks. Sweet.

http://www.openrangerv.com/products.aspx

Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All 4 Nittos...LOVE THEM...quiet, unless radio and AC are totally off, which RARELY happens, and even then they are still VERY tolerable, though slightly more hum than the Wrangers. Ride is MUCH better, though still in need of shocks.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
popdog
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
All 4 Nittos...LOVE THEM...quiet, unless radio and AC are totally off, which RARELY happens, and even then they are still VERY tolerable, though slightly more hum than the Wrangers. Ride is MUCH better, though still in need of shocks.
Glad to see you're happy with the purchase. Im a bit late to the boat but i'll comment anyway. There are quiet MTs - specifically my set of Mickey thompson MTZs are pretty darn quiet I don't hear them at all over my exhaust noise. The key with MTs are to rotate them regularly. In addition, not all A/Ts are necessarily quieter than MTs, I've had sets of A/T tires that were MUCH louder than my mickey thompsons.

Nittos are a good tire though, i'm sure you'll be satisfied - rotate em so they last!

Also! to help kill that rear-end skip when you're hitting potholes your best helper is going to be a good set of shocks. The bilsteins (if you can still get them) work for me and some of the other good brands should as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:49 AM
jorgysram
Amateur

heres my 2 cents having run 4 different tires on my truck, when i got it i had toyo mt's on the stock 20's got rid of those when i punctered a sidewall in a mud hole, wear on them was ok, but my 33x12.50's were loud and once the road was wet it was like they were ice skates, next was bfg ats i got 17's when i got them bought the tires used, imo did almost as good in mud and on trails as the toyos did and alot quieter, not pleasant one ice either, but i only ran them while i waited for my m-16's to get in (3 month back order) interco m-16's (285/70/17 load range e) offroad traction wise best tire i ever had, but they howled worse than a pack of coyotes and like the mt.s wouldnt grip the road when wet, so i sold them to a buddy with about half tred on them after 15k (had just put my lift on and wanted 35's), next set was goodyear duratracks, best wet and snow/ice traction ive ever had on the truck, the ride on them isnt bad, but they feel alittle soggy in turns at speed,but the soft sidewals really absorb the bumps and with alot of hard use havnt punctured one yet (load range d tire, but still rated for over 3000lbs) they work great on trails and in mud too, not as good as the m-16's but about the same as toyo mt's and after 15k still have alot of tread (duratracks on on the truck in my sig 315/70/17), but for the next set im trying to find something more highway friendly i spend alot more time on paved roads now so im leaning towards cooper at3's or the new st maxx (big fan of cooper tires most of my family runs them)

also abit late but im adding this for anyone else whose looking

Last edited by jorgysram; 08-05-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
V10Rampower
Amateur

Cooper Zeon LTZ, i love them, I have BFG all-terrains on my 99 2500 but will be changing to the cooper's really soon, they are great in the snow/mud and are very quiet on the highway. In my opinion they are much better than the all terrains

Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Gearhead2012

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
That's what I have now and am trying to get away from them. They make my truck ride like crap...And rated at 50000 miles...I have about 20000 miles and the rears are practically bald...and I never smoked them, not once...didn't even spin them much on ice and snow
To each his own, I found they rode just fine on my previous 2006 1 ton diesel Quad cab and I put almost 70,000 kilometers including pulling a 5th during the summer before they needed replacing.

Quick Reply: Opinions and experiences with 4x4 tires