3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

intake, headers, and exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ask about the carb stamp though. Alot of the places that do a visual check may also require parts like headers and cai to have a carb stamp on them and none of the lt headers will have that. If they dont require the carb stamp and they only check that the cats are there and working then go for it.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
PhotogTom
Veteran

He mentioned nothing about a carb stamp. I didn't specifically ask him that, but I did specifically mention removing the factory exhaust manifolds and pipes and attaching the catalytic converters to the header pipes instead. He said that's no problem.

They don't look for very long under there - just a quick peek with the mirror to see if the parts are there. I think they're more concerned if the computer throws out a "fail".

BTW, the Honda passed!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
04RedHemiSport

I'm going to get my truck to the emissions facility tomorrow. I'll ask all the questions I need there. At my last two emissions tests they just plugged it in let it run printed me a paper and sent me on my way. In Illinois where I'm at the whole process is free. It's really just a big waste of money for the state and time for the general public. But like I said as soon as I start making changes to my truck they will start making changes to the emissions program and I'll be screwed. It's just my luck. If they say as long as the computer doesn't throw a fail then I'll be fine and I'll go LT's and no cat at all. If they say something different then I'll just do what I said before. Leave a place for the cat and just put a filler piece of exhaust in its place and then put it in once a year for emissions. Seems like a pain, but won't be bad. I'll know tomorrow either way.

Thanks for the vararam info glass. I noticed on their website it looked like all plastic but to me it seems like the only one that truly makes since. Fresh OUTSIDE forced air. To me that's a truer CAI. Everything else gives more air but warmer engine air from under the hood. Also, I like the lights and the grille piece on the front of your truck. Are the lights HellaFF's like everyone elses? And if you remember do you know where you got the grille piece? I'm going to look into those dynatech headers too. I forgot about them. We used to use dynatechs when we ran race cars back in the day. Thanks.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM
glass3222
Captain

Yes the lights behind my grill are Hella 500FFs. I got the bumper insert from LMC Truck. I have heard good things about the dynatechs, but they are very expensive since they are stainless.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:56 PM
04RedHemiSport

Thanks for the info. I checked the web for the best price. Best I could find is $1271.59 plus $36.00 for shipping! Big money but they really look worth it to me. I'll have to think about that one though.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:11 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 04RedHemiSport
I'm going to get my truck to the emissions facility tomorrow. I'll ask all the questions I need there. At my last two emissions tests they just plugged it in let it run printed me a paper and sent me on my way. In Illinois where I'm at the whole process is free. It's really just a big waste of money for the state and time for the general public. But like I said as soon as I start making changes to my truck they will start making changes to the emissions program and I'll be screwed. It's just my luck. If they say as long as the computer doesn't throw a fail then I'll be fine and I'll go LT's and no cat at all. If they say something different then I'll just do what I said before. Leave a place for the cat and just put a filler piece of exhaust in its place and then put it in once a year for emissions. Seems like a pain, but won't be bad. I'll know tomorrow either way.
If you are planning on doing that just understand that the LT's move the cats back about 18" and they are not a direct bolt on to the cats, the LT's have a 3" collector and the stock cats come off of a 2.5" from the manifolds so you are going to have to do some fab work to get the stock cats to work right. OR you can just buy some magnaflow High Flow cats for about $90 a piece and everything should slide together just right. Even though they do not do an inspection here, I hated the smell of the truck with no cats, the unburned hydrocarbons smell like sh*t, so I ended up opening up the stock cats to a 3" in/out and made them work with the pacesetter Y pipe (I have a lot of pics of the setup somewhere on this forum). You will also have to splice the rear O2's and move them back. So just keep that in mind if you are planning to remove them except for e-testing.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 PM
04RedHemiSport

Well the verdict is in! Got my truck emissions tested and I passed, which is always good news. But I watched the guy in action and all he did was plug the truck in, start it, let it run for like 30 seconds and that was it. He printed me a paper that said it passed and that I was good for two years. He told me to put it in my glove box and I was all done. So I went ahead and asked him about a possible visual inspection and he said no way. They don't do that at all. He said I could do whatever I wanted to the truck as long as their computer didn't show a fail at the end of the test. So really all i have to do is make sure the sensors are in and functioning and thats about it...right?

By the way truckin151...I'm still not sure what to get headers wise. I've had several different brands and styles mentioned to me on here. I'll have to make a decision before long. But now that I know that they don't do any kind of visual check that eases my mind about some things.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:16 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

If thats the case just pick up some longtubes (pacesetters are the cheaper of the bunch and make just as much power as the others and you can get thier Y pipe for shea as well and have it all bolted on in your driveway), put the front O2's in the bungs that are already welded on the collectors and then weld in a couple bungs for the rears and do the non-foulers to get rid of the code and you'll be good to go.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
mpk1980

question....whats better.....y pipes or x pipes? dual in dual out or 1 in dual out mufflers or 2 single mufflers? exhaust exit out the back or before the back tires...ive heard a bunch of different stuff and i want to finally get my headers put on in a couple of weeks. What is the optimal setup for the 5.7 hemi's?

Quick Reply: intake, headers, and exhaust suggestions