3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Greetings to all! Daughter wants a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all this chit about how chitty the 4.7l are such b/s if these guys took care of there chit they would still be driving it and the mpg's are the same as the hemi, get the facts straight you guys are on forums to learn read for crying out loud and you would see that....ive had my 4.7 for a cpl years 76k on it not one problem motor wise the only thing i have replaced due to wear is plugs, tires and a carrier bearing which got a set of 4.56 gears while they had it open i get 14.5 mpgs all day everyday city driving if i lived where the lights weren't 500' apart im sure i would get better....dont get me wrong i have added mods and some power but ill tell you this truck is solid and runs and drives great....

Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh hell. Look what you guys have done now. You pissed Jay off. You all know he has that baby HEMI engine.

4.7s will likely get a bad rep here on this board simply because we see so many guys come here with issues on them and asking questions. But thats why this board is here. It is to help those who have problems and those wanting to add or modify things. Extremely few guys come here just to say how flawless their 4.7 is.

With that being said, Im sure there are lots of 4.7s out there that do really well and last a long time. Unfortunately, we do not see it here.

I would not want a 4.7 personally but thats because of modding and power reasons.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by ZipAgent
... Would you want a RC though?...
Drove one for years. My daughter's first car was a '93 Buick LeSabre with 130K.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an '04 4.7 and would recommend it, however I would recommend a Hemi more simply for the fact that you have more power without a decrease in fuel efficiency and more aftermarket products are made for the Hemi.

The 4.7s do have sludge issues and overheat, other then that the engines are bullet proof. Mine is sludged up but you could never tell by driving it, the only reason I know this is because I pulled out the baffle and saw that sludge was under the VC.

I got the truck used with 40k for the 9k and the only thing that needed work was a quick ball joint replacement, well and the sludge but I wasn't aware of that until recently.

As long as you keep up on oil changes and do coolant flushes when your supposed to you shouldn't have problems with a 4.7.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 AM
bgbluram2
All Star

I'm a proud new owner of an 08 ram hemi qc and it is awesome! I used to drive an 02 ram qc 4.7L and it was a solid truck no doubt. I took very good care of it and it served me well. the reason i went with the hemi this time is because it tows much better than the 4.7. The 4.7 was always searching for the right gear while towing, and the hemi has fixed this problem.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
MOusafLRT03

i guess i should add that i had no mechanical/electrical issues with 4.7. if i didn't get married and NEED something that was more practical, i'd still have that truck. buuuuutt, that's life. my current ride doesn't quite measure up to the grin factor of that other truck, but with time, some money, and elbow grease, it'll be back up there and hopefully surpass it in smiles per mile.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional

Post #17, "I would not get her a QC. There are enough distractions facing young drivers now, a potential for having five other people in there could prove to be too much".
Echos x2. Very sound words for the early teen driver. QCs are a driving-around full time party with those tootHeads.

You have come to the right place for the right vehicle. Dodge is so correct but I believe you are reaching too high for/as a starter. You've got good sense because you are here. I would suggest if not the Dak to start her with a '96-'00 small cab short box Ram (There are alot out there cheap). Paint it if need be to the color of her liking. Get her involved and let her watch it grow, order a over-the-counter new crate eng, trans and take it out to 'skeeters' (http://www.texascardoctor.com/) after you've talked it over w/him the plan. He'll go the extra yard in your support. You'll have a new vehicle for less than 10. Have fun.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Blacksport
Captain

There are so many other distractions to worry about, let alone having a QC. You have cell phones, the radio, a passenger sitting right beside you. Not getting her a QC because there is potential for distractions is redonkulous! What about a passenger car? It seats five. You gonna get her a 2 seater sports car? I dunno, maybe I'm looking into it to deep, and I appologize for ranting.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM
black shadow
Veteran

I got to tell you that this is my second dodge truck, the first one was a 94 ram RC sport with the 5.9 and it ran for 212k miles when I sold it to buy the truck I have now which is a 07 QC sport with the 5.7 hemi and I wouldn't trade it for any other truck, I just went in to have the oil changed and my sales person that sold me the truck came over and she said its about time to trade that in isn't it and I said I would if you had a truck on the lot that was as good as this one and she looked at me and then the truck and then said you are probably right. I have just over 40k on this one and have had no problems what so ever.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 PM
ZipAgent

Blacksport understands

The QC makes sence as it could be used by the family too. Furthermore, all cars have a front seat and a back seat. Do you think the back seat won't get used. Oh -- a vet has only 2 seat but that won't work. I'd rather her be in a bigger rig.

I'm not ragging back to you guys -- I do appreciate the comments

I don't want an old truck that gets her stranded. I just want one that will run good and be a good value.

Again, $15k or less what should I be able to get?

I Found an 08 QC 4.7 under 50K $15K I haven't looked a lot yet I'm sure the hemi is more $$

Quick Reply: Greetings to all! Daughter wants a truck