3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Greetings to all! Daughter wants a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody pissed me off, its just that the 4.7l gets misunderstood...all we hear about is how bad it is noone states the good that comes from it....i like my 4.7l i got it for 9k with 50k on it in great condition 1 owner who took good care of it and it shows....on the other hand id love to have gotten a more powerful hemi but the deal was a deal...next cummins for sure...

Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 PM
ZipAgent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an 1500 06 QC 5.7 65K Lone Star Asking $15,995

How's this deal?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
jaybird14
Rookie

My '06 is nice. 65k on it and have done tie rods and waterpump. am now doing brakes. Depending on the truck it sounds like a resonable price. Like any used truck just keep looking and listening as it is driven to head off any major crap.... The '06 is nice but not even close in the cool scale as my 2000

By the way my 13 year old daughter has already put her name on the 2000.
Good luck.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

not a bad deal if the condition is great or good, work em down a lil off 14.5 see what happens or even 15 and say if you can do 14.5 ill take it today work the saleman if he dont budge ask the manager....

Old 09-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Marklorenzo
Veteran

I have an 02 ram with 160,000 on it and it is still chugging along with tons of power! I have always been a GM guy until I bought this truck and a Jeep SRT8. I am in love.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Exclamation Now, we want a QC.

"The QC makes sence (sense) as it could be used by the family too"
You didn't mention this point at the get-go, being able to haul the family too. Now, it takes on a diff direction.

In your quest, look what you've caused to emerge. Its the on-going meat-stretching contest between the 4.7 5.7 has hijacked the thread.
I for one, would have 2nd thoughts about handing off a 4.7 to a lady unless you plan to Shepherd it and just let her gas&drive.

One more question. Being you are now looking for a truck (full-size) QC almost new, low-wear, 15k USD or less. Have you approached your favorite bank, CU for any hardShip units, lease returns and can't meet the balloon pay-off. or don't want to?

BlackSport, By the way, "one more distraction IS TOO MANY" especial for a young driver with the paddle on the metal.

Last edited by oneHEMI57; 09-18-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: too many ooos.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

nobody's stretching there meat here pal i just dont know why ppl only thrive on negative stuff they hear or read, they dont see that there are tons of us on here that drive our 4.7s and they run great yes there has been a handful of bombs but guess what so has the hemi....from using low grade fuel predetonation in cylinders?....but nobodies knockin that ever so faithful hemi....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 AM
rickof08
Veteran

Originally Posted by jusjay727
nobody's stretching there meat here pal i just dont know why ppl only thrive on negative stuff they hear or read, they dont see that there are tons of us on here that drive our 4.7s and they run great yes there has been a handful of bombs but guess what so has the hemi....from using low grade fuel predetonation in cylinders?....but nobodies knockin that ever so faithful hemi....
I know im adding to this fire but my old 4.7 rc was WAY faster than my hemi, and my hemi isnt stock......but than again neither was my 4.7 Ive also had this truck back to the dealer 4 times since I bought it for various reasons.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get her one of the later year 3rd gens with the upgraded 4.7, has 310 hp (only 35 short of the hemi) just not as much torque.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
Get her one of the later year 3rd gens with the upgraded 4.7, has 310 hp (only 35 short of the hemi) just not as much torque.
Good option EXCEPT ain't no way he'll find an '08 (first year of the new 4.7) anywhere near his price range unless it has issues.

Let's not have this thread turn into a 4.7 vs. Hemi thread and scare the poor guy away (if he ain't been already).

As I stated in my first post in this thread, the 4.7 is a VERY reliable engine and a decent performer. Has a couple of issues, but these issues are avoidable with decent care and maintenance. Change the coolant at least as often as recommended and change the oil regularly and the two most common problems won't be an issue.

IMO there are two main reasons to opt for a smaller engine. One is initial cost (which could be the difference in being able to obtain a newer truck with less miles). The other is fuel savings.

The first would be a consideration, but as stated, a Hemi gets right around the same MPGs as a 4.7 for most (with the added benefit a lot more HP and Torque).

I'd look for a Hemi first for that reason, but would not turn away a 4.7 if a good deal presented itself. In either case you are getting what is IMO the best half ton truck on the market...

Quick Reply: Greetings to all! Daughter wants a truck