3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Greetings to all! Daughter wants a truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM
ZipAgent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the opinions -- I'll keep looking around -- there are several available. If I find what I think is a fair -good deal I'd like to have a mechanic check it out prior to laying out the cash...

I usually buy new ones so I want to be careful on the pre-owned.

Any suggestions on what to check etc.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2010, 12:12 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ZipAgent
Thanks for the opinions -- I'll keep looking around -- there are several available. If I find what I think is a fair -good deal I'd like to have a mechanic check it out prior to laying out the cash...

I usually buy new ones so I want to be careful on the pre-owned.

Any suggestions on what to check etc.

Thanks

NOTHING wrong with having the vehicle checked out BY YOUR OWN GUY. I'd walk if a seller (be it private or a dealership) hedged on this.

I'd even go so far as paying a mechanic for a compression check. Better to spend $60-75 to check compression and walk away then to buy a vehicle and have to spend thousands on the engine at some point...

Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 PM
AaronOregon
Rookie

Damn, after reading this thread you guys have me wanting to sell my '02-4.7 and buy a Hemi now................................

Aaron

Old 09-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

ive seen 4th gen rams on tv for $13k

im sure their semi striped down.. but im sure for 15-16 you could get something new. The year end deals are great right now.. like $5000 off

you might pay a little more... but you get a new, safe truck with a warranty and piece of mind that the truck wont leave her somewhere

Just a thought

Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM
ZipAgent

Doc,

Please snd me an as where I could get a quad cab for that pricing -- please

I can fly anywhere in the US so I' would consider that...

Thanks...

Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Doc Fluty
ive seen 4th gen rams on tv for $13k

im sure their semi striped down.. but im sure for 15-16 you could get something new. The year end deals are great right now.. like $5000 off

you might pay a little more... but you get a new, safe truck with a warranty and piece of mind that the truck wont leave her somewhere

Just a thought

That's some great pricing. New 4th Gens (4x2 RC 4.7s) being advertised around $22k with all incentives here. I have yet to see a used 4th Gen for under $19k in my area. At least in dealer ads, I'm sure you could do a bit better private but my classified ad in the paper today didn't list anything newer than an '07...

Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Doc Fluty
Banned

http://expresswaydodge.com/

there.. the opening flash has a 4th gen for $13,900

did he say he wanted a quad? ... i musta missed it.. i thought she just wanted a truck in general.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

yeah, he said in a post a while back that it needs to be a QC.

But good luck buying that truck for that price. I'm sure its a V6 first of all, but we got a dealer in Orlando who lists those ads all the time. Has an "*" in it that only says "* ask your salesman for details"

The details are always "only one available for that price" and it's ALWAYS SOLD 30 MINS BEFORE YOU GOT THERE! and the other great one is "$13,995 with $5000 down or applicable trade"...

Dealer invoice on a RCSB 4x2 V6 is running right at $19,200. Yeah, there is a couple grand in incentives out there, but good luck buying that vehicle for $14k!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:28 AM
stocksj

Hello,
I'm also looking at getting a Ram 1500 4.7 V8. If I buy used, at what mileage range does the major maintenance items hit? I know some owners will drive a car or truck to the point of the major service and then sell it to avoid paying the maintenance.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jusjay727
nobody pissed me off, its just that the 4.7l gets misunderstood...all we hear about is how bad it is noone states the good that comes from it....i like my 4.7l i got it for 9k with 50k on it in great condition 1 owner who took good care of it and it shows....on the other hand id love to have gotten a more powerful hemi but the deal was a deal...next cummins for sure...
I know man but I had to tease you since you were an advocate for the 4.7

And me and you both on the CTD being next.

Originally Posted by jusjay727
nobody's stretching there meat here pal i just dont know why ppl only thrive on negative stuff they hear or read, they dont see that there are tons of us on here that drive our 4.7s and they run great yes there has been a handful of bombs but guess what so has the hemi....from using low grade fuel predetonation in cylinders?....but nobodies knockin that ever so faithful hemi....
Dont forget the HEMIs dropping valve springs.

Quick Reply: Greetings to all! Daughter wants a truck